The VENT Thread

User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3055
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:27 pm

When I said "hope THEY can figure out how come AND DO SOMETHING.." I was referring to your doctors, and not that you yourself need to figure it out. Or that you yourself need to come up with something that will keep it from coming back.

Get well soon.[/quote]

I'm not self-medicating. This is all my doctor's advice. Thanks for the get well soon.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Ballerina wrote:When I said "hope THEY can figure out how come AND DO SOMETHING.." I was referring to your doctors, and not that you yourself need to figure it out. Or that you yourself need to come up with something that will keep it from coming back.

Get well soon.
I'm not self-medicating. This is all my doctor's advice. Thanks for the get well soon.[/quote]

My mom has has this a few times and has severe asthma. When it's particularly bad she lays a hot water bottle across her chest for an hour or so and gets some relief. Then lays it across her upper back. She is spirin resistant.

Don't know if the heat is just comforting or if it actually works, but I figured I would pass along. I know from my own pain (chronic muscle pain) even if it helps 2% the wamrth is some great placebo effect.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3055
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am

Somnambulist wrote:My mom has has this a few times and has severe asthma. When it's particularly bad she lays a hot water bottle across her chest for an hour or so and gets some relief. Then lays it across her upper back. She is spirin resistant.

Don't know if the heat is just comforting or if it actually works, but I figured I would pass along. I know from my own pain (chronic muscle pain) even if it helps 2% the wamrth is some great placebo effect.
I have been using alternating moist heat and cold. It helps temporarily. Pain meds that I'm using that give me the most relief are 50 mgs. of Tramadol and 500 mgs. Tylenol. I take it sparingly when the pain gets too bad. Going to wait until I finish up the steroids - Thursday. If I'm not doing better by then, I'll put in another call to my GP. Thanks for your concern and suggestion.
User avatar
Miesque1973
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am

This is my last full week of disability, I hope. My surgery site wound is healing nicely, I'm having no pain to speak of (or shriek about, which is even better), and the only side effect I'm experiencing is a numb left foot. I'll take numb over 'please-kill-me-now' pain any day. I still hate this blasted brace--sometimes it's like wrestling an octopus to get it on and wrapped around my waist and then tightened. No bending, twisting, lifting anything heavy... so I had to cancel competing in that weight-lifting tournament, goldernit...

Other than that, I'm so bored. I can't say as I look forward to going back to work next Wednesday (will I remember how to do my job? <shudder>), but at least my restless mind will have something focus on. I haven't even written any fiction. Maybe my muse is frightened by the sound of Velcro ripping.

Less than a month to the Derby. I still have no idea which horse to jinx by picking him. As always, I just hope the winner doesn't have a dumb name. I've seen a few such names, but now I can't remember any of them.

Those of you here who are sick or injured, I hope you're on the road to recovery, or are at least the on-ramp thereof! :D

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Fell off another horse on Monday and fell directly on my lower spine...again. :x It hurt so bad I went to urgent care. Bless the amazing found family I have here in Vermont for shuttling me around and keeping an eye on me.

The fractures from 2015 are healed and fine, and from what they could see on the x-rays, everything looks okay. But that could be wrong! Fractures taken eons to show up at times, and the x-rays weren't perfect, so they might've missed stuff. Luckily, I *think* the intense pain was just the initial trauma and then lots of muscle spasms. We're pushing a week and it still quite obviously hurts, though it's way better. I still get really fatigued/sore if I do too much -- cleaning the rat cage today was an Event. Still hurts to bend in certain directions, still generally achey, hurts to roll over at night, etc. But I have muscle relaxers. Those puppies turn me into Sleeping Beauty.

I'm hoping it's just a lot of internal bruising, or even a bone bruise. I think if I end up having to go back for more pictures and they find another fracture, my Super Chill exterior about this habit of breaking my vertebrae will unravel very rapidly. I don't need that panic attack right now. Oof.

Granted, they can't do shit for back stuff. Unless it had actually snapped in half or shattered, or something (which thankfully it didn't!), they'd just tell me to rest for a while then do PT. I can do PT for my back in my sleep. But, still. This isn't fun. Also, my insurance doesn't cover x-rays until after the deductible. Grrrr.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Catalina
Posts: 3172
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:09 am

Insane Crazy wrote:Fell off another horse on Monday and fell directly on my lower spine...again. :x It hurt so bad I went to urgent care. Bless the amazing found family I have here in Vermont for shuttling me around and keeping an eye on me.
There are actually classes (and of course sports, like martial arts) that teach you how to fall safely. Or, relatively safely. It's a life skill well worth developing.
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Catalina wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:Fell off another horse on Monday and fell directly on my lower spine...again. :x It hurt so bad I went to urgent care. Bless the amazing found family I have here in Vermont for shuttling me around and keeping an eye on me.
There are actually classes (and of course sports, like martial arts) that teach you how to fall safely. Or, relatively safely. It's a life skill well worth developing.
I'm pretty good at falling overall, just not lately...obviously, lol. Falling off on the driveway was really tricky no matter how I sliced it.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
User avatar
Miesque1973
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Isn't 'fall safely' an oxymoron? :lol:

Every time I think of 'falling safely', I think about Jackie Chan movies. "Put him against Bruce Lee, bare-fisted, Bruce mops the floor with Jackie. Give Jackie a paperclip, Bruce doesn't have a chance... "

Then again, Jackie is frequently injured. Maybe he hasn't mastered falling safely yet.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Then again, Jackie is frequently injured.

With Jackie, that may have had to do with that fact that he was falling from a building, or a mountain, or something else a bit taller than a mere horse. :P :lol: :lol:
Tessablue
Posts: 3506
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 pm

sent my dissertation in and immediately got the flu. Bet this is related to the fact that I always get sick on vacation. Joke's on you, constantly stressed body, I'm going to have a real job with real hours soon! Hopefully!
peeptoad
Posts: 2709
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:45 am

Tessablue wrote:sent my dissertation in and immediately got the flu. Bet this is related to the fact that I always get sick on vacation. Joke's on you, constantly stressed body, I'm going to have a real job with real hours soon! Hopefully!
It's going around... a few people at my job are out with it. I got some nasty virus last month, but it wasn't the flu thankfully.
feel better
Catalina
Posts: 3172
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:04 am

Tessablue wrote:sent my dissertation in and immediately got the flu. Bet this is related to the fact that I always get sick on vacation. Joke's on you, constantly stressed body, I'm going to have a real job with real hours soon! Hopefully!
And now you wait to hear if it'll be accepted as is or what changes they would like to see? Good luck with the flu.
User avatar
Miesque1973
Posts: 238
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Mark Kenya up with Belgium as being completely unable (or unwilling?) to find or provide even the slightest speck of information on their respective country's classic winners. Several months of pleading with folks in Kenya resulted in just the names, some coat colors, and sire and dam names of Kenya's classic winners. But apparently no one ever bothered to actually record the pedigrees of any of the horses that won. Perhaps those horses weren't Thoroughbreds.

Today my contact in Kenya (with Ngong Racecourse) just sent the same list of winners of the five classic races. No new info. She's claimed that they just couldn't get the information. I'm thinking they never had it to begin with.

So disappointed, and kind of... irritated. Who doesn't keep record of stuff like that?! Maybe I'll post the lists of winners and what little info I have on them to the Old Bald Peg group and see if they can find anything, but then again, they generally ignore me, as I don't have GSB's from 1779.

Grrr....

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 456
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:05 pm

InsaneCrazy - OUCH. Hoping you have spine bruising and not a fracture.

I got my tooth pulled and now I'm hoping I don't have dry socket. And thankfully, my child has gotten over whatever was causing that nasty cough (except he had a coughing fit this morning while I was driving him to daycare and he turned purple), with the help of 10 days of oral steroids. I don't want to think about the long-term consequences of all his oral steroid usage. Having a child with crap lungs is exhausting.
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Eight months ago my dog got very sick. It was some sort of systemic bacterial infection and he almost died. I've spent every waking moment of the last 8 months nursing him back to his happy, sweet, smart, loving self. It's been hard and very expensive, but worth every single dime and every single minute of lost sleep.

Last week, out of the blue, his kidneys began to shut down. There was nothing I could do, the vets were at a loss, so on Saturday I put my very best friend to sleep. There aren't words for me to express how much I loved this dog. He was my whole heart.

I tried so hard for so long, and it ended so suddenly. It's the most insanely unfair thing that dogs have a life expectancy of only a fraction of ours. I hate this year.

Finn, you were so loved.

Image

Image

Image

His adopted-the-same-day sister, who died last year from cancer:
Image

As puppies:
Image

Image

Their Charlie's Angels impression:
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Catalina
Posts: 3172
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:00 pm

BL, I am so, so sorry about your loss of Finn. They take part of our soul with them when they leave.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9879
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 pm

Oh no...BL, I'm so sorry. :cry:
I know what it's like to lose a best furry friend, and it sucks that their lives are so much shorter than ours.
Finn was lucky to have you as his mom, and it's clear from your photos that he was a happy, happy dog.
TapitsGal
Posts: 796
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:11 am

I'm so tired of getting no support from my family or parents. When my younger sister chose her college major and it was something she's passionate about (recreational therapy) and when my older brother chose his major(political science) my parents were extremely supportive and willing to help them pay for college and courses etc. when I decided on MY major( biological science degree at a local community college with the plan of transferring to the local state university and getting a companion animal science degree so I can go on to become a dog trainer) I'm told to quit wasting my time and everyone else's time on a nonsense degree I can never make a living on and that I have to completely find a way to self-fund college(not a big deal I get grants) and that even though my car is in the shop, I am not allowed to take THEIR car tomorrow and go meet with my academic advisor to pick summer classes but I CAN take the car and volunteer doing my pet therapy and "I'm lucky they are allowing that"
Catalina
Posts: 3172
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:17 pm

TapitsGal wrote:I'm so tired of getting no support from my family or parents. When my younger sister chose her college major and it was something she's passionate about (recreational therapy) and when my older brother chose his major(political science) my parents were extremely supportive and willing to help them pay for college and courses etc. when I decided on MY major( biological science degree at a local community college with the plan of transferring to the local state university and getting a companion animal science degree so I can go on to become a dog trainer) I'm told to quit wasting my time and everyone else's time on a nonsense degree I can never make a living on and that I have to completely find a way to self-fund college(not a big deal I get grants) and that even though my car is in the shop, I am not allowed to take THEIR car tomorrow and go meet with my academic advisor to pick summer classes but I CAN take the car and volunteer doing my pet therapy and "I'm lucky they are allowing that"
There are a lot of career options in the field of animal science. Have you considered aiming for something that holds out a better chance of reliable income, and do the companion animal bit as a minor? If we (that is the world) are heading for times of economic hardship (and I for one think we are), paying someone to train their dog may be one of the non-essential expenses that people would cut from their budget, and instead look up "obedience training for dummies" on the internet. One of the other more acceptable career goals might appease your parents and still keep the dog training dream alive.
peeptoad
Posts: 2709
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 am

BlindLucky, I remember you posted pics of Finn a few months ago playing in the snow. I am so sorry for your loss... :(
Post Reply