The VENT Thread

stark

Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:02 am

I'm just shocked when people expect something for FREE.
Yesterday's example was the Arrogate race....."it should be streaming somewhere for FREE"

Why?

Is it too much to ask that you have an ADW account with TVG, Twinspires etc? Note, you don't have to have any money in your account to watch the live video!!!

How much somebody else should do for FREE is an amazing concept I just don't understand.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Tessablue

Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:35 pm

I agree. The public shouldn't be allowed to watch our sport's supserstars until they've EARNED it.
Forry Cow How

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 am

A lot of tracks offer free video too (NYRA leads the way, IMO). RTN offers most tracks for $15/month. XBTV is free...it's owned by Stronach but I'm not sure if it shows races from the Stronach tracks or is just talk. And if all else fails, you can watch video of the big races on Blood-Horse when they post the story.

I went for RTN, so I can watch via Roku on my television. I use Twinspires to wager.
starrydreamer

Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:20 am

I've resigned myself to watching race replays. I don't bet, so not being able to watch races live doesn't bug me too much. However, I'm moving next month and will be not overly far from Arlington, which means in a few years, I get to start taking my son to Million Day. My dad and I used to go.

Sinus surgery was a huge success, by the way. It's great to be able to breathe again.

Now if only my house will sell. We've had more than 20 showings in one week on the market, plus 14 couples who came through during the open house this weekend. Time to lower the price!
stark

Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks for a couple of perfectly reasonable replies that didn't sound like they came from the "Entitlement Generation Handbook"

And congrats on being able to breathe.

Your Real Estate agent is like just like your trainer, you need to trust their judgement and wait for the drop in class, a week seems too quick imho.
starrydreamer

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:38 pm

stark wrote:Thanks for a couple of perfectly reasonable replies that didn't sound like they came from the "Entitlement Generation Handbook"

And congrats on being able to breathe.

Your Real Estate agent is like just like your trainer, you need to trust their judgement and wait for the drop in class, a week seems too quick imho.
We would wait another week to drop the price under normal circumstances, but my husband starts his new job in a new state in mid-August, and so we're under a bit of a time crunch. It's currently listed for $40k more than we paid for it so there's plenty of room to play.
stark

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:14 pm

Political Polls.

What purpose do they serve?

How accurate are they?

I'm guessing they don't serve much purpose at all and are as accurate as some horseplayers and weathermen.
Catalina

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pm

stark wrote:Political Polls.

What purpose do they serve?

How accurate are they?

I'm guessing they don't serve much purpose at all and are as accurate as some horseplayers and weathermen.
They are something along the lines of statistics, no? And we all know (or by now should know) that you can prove or disprove just about anything with statistics.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:23 am

Weather forecasters and horseplayers are trying to predict something that hasn't yet happened. It's guesswork.
Polls provide information on something that has already happened. Whether through polls, responses to surveys, voting records or other sources, statistics are gathered. It's math.
Guess I'll take math over guesswork.
stark

Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:20 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Weather forecasters and horseplayers are trying to predict something that hasn't yet happened. It's guesswork.
Polls provide information on something that has already happened. Whether through polls, responses to surveys, voting records or other sources, statistics are gathered. It's math.

Do weekly Presidential favorability polls really serve any purpose, especially the ones from the same pollsters that failed so miserably in November 2016, no matter if they are guesswork or math? Have they changed the way they collect the data yet?
Catalina

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:37 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Weather forecasters and horseplayers are trying to predict something that hasn't yet happened. It's guesswork.
It's not really math. The pollsters are trying to milk some conclusions from "data" that are based on unreliable responses
Tessablue

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:54 pm

An admirable effort, but it's best not to engage.

Which, speaking of, my fiance backed his car into my car on this, the first day of my ostensible month-long vacation. My brand new car. Insurance doesn't help as much when you're about to marry the person who has to take the price hike...
Somnambulist

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Insurance helps?LOL. Pretty sure it's there solely to screw you over.

Unless the damage is massive I wouldn't even file the claim.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Tessablue

Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:05 pm

lol, fair point. And yeah we'll find out tomorrow if we need to, it appears to be a lot of missing paint without structural damage so fingers crossed...
starrydreamer

Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:39 am

I can't believe I'm now in the position where I hope someone's financing for a home sale falls through. I really want this house, and I'm super pissed that the seller's agent didn't tell our agent immediately that there was already an accepted offer. So now we're the secondary offer, waiting for the primary offer to fall through.

But the probability of their financing falling through is extremely low, so we are back on the hunt for a house. :roll:
stark

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:05 pm

What is proper concert etiquette these days?

Is it okay to stand up the whole time?
I thought that's what the pit was for, why not buy those tickets?

Is it okay to film the whole thing on your phone?
A picture or two or three is fine, but the whole dang 2 hours?
Why not just wait for youtube and save your energy if all you're gonna do is stand with your arms up in the air?

Somnambulist

Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:43 pm

Working in personal insurance with Harvey and Irma has been one of the most stressful periods of my life. I literally just lay away at night going over everything to make sure none of us made any mistakes. The clients are freaking out.. understandably so.

Hurricane season needs to end.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:05 pm

We wish....but it officially lasts until Nov. 30. :(
And Tropical Storm Jose has formed behind Irma, although that one may not hit the US. Fingers crossed.
Catalina

Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Insurance helps?LOL. Pretty sure it's there solely to screw you over.

Unless the damage is massive I wouldn't even file the claim.
Insurance is a business, and as such it likes making a profit, just like any other business.
Tessablue

Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:50 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Working in personal insurance with Harvey and Irma has been one of the most stressful periods of my life. I literally just lay away at night going over everything to make sure none of us made any mistakes. The clients are freaking out.. understandably so.

Hurricane season needs to end.
Man I hadn't even thought of this side of things. I doubt you're hearing much in the way of thanks because people have so much else to worry about, but I'd say it means a lot that you care so much about getting it done right for them.

I hope all of this ends as well as it possibly can.