The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby stark » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:43 am

Its strange the different things folks worry about.....FWIW I'm concerned every time I see an assistant starter mount the starting gate like monkey bars on a playground. Problem is, they're all getting older and not quite as spry as they once were! One spill, one workers comp claim could pale any cost comparison to upgrades. And don't forget the ambulance and the likely confusion, can he use the jockey's ambulance or do we have to wait for a 2nd one to arrive? If he does get to use the on-site ambulance because of his head injuries needing urgent attention, are the races delayed until the replacement vehicle shows up?

And so it goes....
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm not sure the risks of stepping up on the steel structure to change numbers are anywhere near as high as getting into the cramped confines of a starting stall with a half-ton TB, who may be so scared that he/she is about to try climbing out of the gate. :shock:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby starrydreamer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:23 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'm not sure the risks of stepping up on the steel structure to change numbers are anywhere near as high as getting into the cramped confines of a starting stall with a half-ton TB, who may be so scared that he/she is about to try climbing out of the gate. :shock:

Or push one's way through the gate in any direction. :shock:

So now on top of my surgery (on Wednesday, finally!), we are moving to a new state! Yayyyyyy trying to balance selling our house and buying a new house, plus finding an all new medical team (pediatrician, surgeon, pulmonologist, cardiologist, GI doc, and allergist, not to mention a medical supply company) and daycare for our kid. Good thing I can keep my job and work remotely 100% of the time, otherwise I would be going nuts. Because I love my job. And the only really available jobs for me in the new state would be as a lawyer... and that would mean taking the bar exam in that new state. No thank you.
starrydreamer

Postby sweettalk » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:26 pm

"Jei, why do you get so stressed out when people touch your things?"

My father, trying to "help" me "clean" my room, threw out a paper bag from Kaiser. It had $60 worth of prescription meds in it - 5 bottles full of rattling pills. Thankfully, I caught it before we took the trash to the dumpster.

Stay. Out. Of. My. Room. If you HAVE TO come in here, don't touch anything, don't think about touching anything, don't even think about thinking about it. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Later this month, a man unbound from time & space will leave boxes under decorated pine totems as assessments of children's moral worth.
sweettalk

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:39 pm

If your dad is insistent on helping you 'tidy' your room, maybe it's time to invest in a sturdy...and heavy...lockbox for stuff like important papers...or meds. :shock:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby ThreeMustangs » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:16 pm

My stepson and his wife are throwing a half-birthday party for their baby girl, who is six months old tomorrow. I understand being excited about your first baby and she is adorable, but jeez... At this rate, they're going to be renting out Disney World for her first birthday. :roll:
ThreeMustangs

Postby Miesque1973 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:17 am

ThreeMustangs wrote:My stepson and his wife are throwing a half-birthday party for their baby girl, who is six months old tomorrow. I understand being excited about your first baby and she is adorable, but jeez... At this rate, they're going to be renting out Disney World for her first birthday. :roll:

Maybe I'm just not sentimental enough (and I've never had kids), but I just don't get how people go so completely berserk about their kids and their dogs. The rule was always 'one kid to the party per number of years the kid has been alive'. So that would mean... half of another kid?

I'll refrain from commenting on holding a birthday party for a pet. But I remember an episode of "Frasier", where Niles attended a birthday party for a woman's pet cat (Waggles), and came in third, with the cat, in the three-legged race. "You'd think they'd let him win, what with it being his birthday..."

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby starrydreamer » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 am

ThreeMustangs wrote:My stepson and his wife are throwing a half-birthday party for their baby girl, who is six months old tomorrow. I understand being excited about your first baby and she is adorable, but jeez... At this rate, they're going to be renting out Disney World for her first birthday. :roll:

Gah - who has that kind of time and energy? I can barely get things together enough to have a party for my kid once a year. And at that age, it's totally for the parents. The kid doesn't know what's going on.

(Then again, at 6 months old, my son was in intensive care, breathing with help from a ventilator.)

My house was supposed to be listed today. But it's not. And we don't even have a For Sale sign in our yard yet. We have been ready to be listed since Sunday...
starrydreamer

Postby Miesque1973 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:26 pm

How many times can you say, "You're going to have to wait for this authorization to finish processing" or "You need to send in the required documentation of medical necessity, per this pending letter, which says... " before you finally just lose your freaking mind and scream, "CATCH A FREAKING CLUE! NOTHING ABOUT THIS WILL EVER GO QUICKLY OR SMOOTHLY!!!! THEIR JOB IS TO DELAY YOUR AUTH REQUEST AS LONG AS POSSIBLE FOR ANY REASON THEY CAN FIND, INCLUDING AN UNDOTTED 'I', AND THEN DENY IT!!!! THE STATE DEMANDS IT!!!" <shakes idiot bureaucrat>

I need ice cream. Blue Bell Milk Chocolate, to be exact. As soon as I sign out I'm scooping out some and eating it while I make supper. That will calm me down.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby War Admiral » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:35 am

Another thing that drives me nuts is when people throw full fledged birthday parties for their pets. I think it's fine to give your dog or cat a special treat on his birthday but to have a party complete with invitations sent out to your friends is ridiculous IMO. Go ahead and do it if you want but I've usually got more important things to do than attend Rovers birthday party.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
War Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around