of journal submission system

DOESN'T

let you submit your figures

IN PDF FORMAT ARE YOU KIDDING ME

An Elsevier Journal? LOL
Forry Cow How

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Somnambulist » Thu May 18, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm as far from celebrity worship as one can get but I really can't believe Chris Cornell killed himself.

I can't even believe I'm at 20 years listening to his songs.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:35 pm

It is difficult to understand why he was in such a dark place, without having walked in his shoes.
It's a loss for music, and especially for his family. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby firehorse » Fri May 19, 2017 12:20 am

Somnambulist wrote:I'm as far from celebrity worship as one can get but I really can't believe Chris Cornell killed himself.

I can't even believe I'm at 20 years listening to his songs.

I can't believe it either, although a gen-xer, I never really got into Soundgarden, really discovered him in Audioslave who I saw live - one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Having a hard time wrapping my mind around him offing himself, odd to find out he's been living on South Beach for the last couple of years, the last place anyone with a tendency towards depression or addictions should be.
firehorse

Postby StarGirl11 » Sat May 20, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm at Pimlico for the Preakness and getting tired of the back and forth on whether or not I can be on the rail if my seats a few rows back. First I couldn't, then I could, then it's back to I can't, then it was I can't be up there for the post parade. I'm not so mad at the people trying to enforce it as much as the wide range of inconsistency on it. I've been going to the races for a long time and this is the first time I've become so fed up with a track that the temptation not to return is high.
StarGirl11

Postby Forry Cow How » Sun May 21, 2017 7:24 am

StarGirl11 wrote:I'm at Pimlico for the Preakness and getting tired of the back and forth on whether or not I can be on the rail if my seats a few rows back. First I couldn't, then I could, then it's back to I can't, then it was I can't be up there for the post parade. I'm not so mad at the people trying to enforce it as much as the wide range of inconsistency on it. I've been going to the races for a long time and this is the first time I've become so fed up with a track that the temptation not to return is high.

I virtually stopped going to the Preakness once they put chairs on the apron to sell more seats. I no longer could get there early on Saturday and get a spot on the rail. I did go with an out-of-town friend after the seats were put in. We had seats inside. They said we couldn't go outside to say "hi" to friends who had seats outside. Well, we just went down to where no one was guarding the door and went outside. No problem getting back inside. I understand those that pay for the seats outside deserve their space and those guarding the doors do not know what our real intentions are and we should probably have just stayed inside.

A trainer friend of mine was running a horse that day. We did manage to get to the paddock and he told us to come to the winner's circle if his horse won. It didn't win, but I wonder if we could have gotten there anyway?

It's been a few years now. I need to go back again. It was fun despite some of the changes. Better start saving my pennies.

With advent of online betting and being able to easily watch races from home, I don't go every day like I used to. Of course, I'm much older, too. LOL Oh, does Pimlico still let you bring cameras in with telephoto lenses? I know a lot of tracks don't let you anymore.
Forry Cow How

Postby BlindLucky » Sun May 21, 2017 4:27 pm

Forry Cow How wrote:Oh, does Pimlico still let you bring cameras in with telephoto lenses? I know a lot of tracks don't let you anymore.

They don't care. They only banned them in 2013 (right after the Boston Marathon bombing).
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby starrydreamer » Mon May 22, 2017 1:03 pm

The third round of antibiotics cleared up my sinus infection and I had a week of feeling good. But I woke up today with pressure on that side of my head again. I'm going to wait a day or two to see if maybe it goes away on its own, but otherwise, I'm headed for a CT scan and possibly surgery.
starrydreamer

Postby Catalina » Mon May 22, 2017 8:43 pm

starrydreamer wrote:The third round of antibiotics cleared up my sinus infection and I had a week of feeling good. But I woke up today with pressure on that side of my head again. I'm going to wait a day or two to see if maybe it goes away on its own, but otherwise, I'm headed for a CT scan and possibly surgery.

For most people, it's outpatient surgery these days.
Catalina

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around