The VENT Thread

starrydreamer

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:48 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The horse looks like an Arabian, and someone took the time to braid/tie up its mane. Horse probably had more sense as as a driver than his/her rider. :P
And it's definitely grey, not white. :lol:
Ballerina

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:36 pm

I have been trying since February 5th to reach my cardiologist by phone. All I get is - "the lines are busy, someone will be with you shortly." Nuh uh - no one gets back at all, let alone shortly. I've called every day, 3 x's a day, always the same message. I sent a letter 10 days ago asking for someone to call me so I could make an appointment. Still no response. This Thursday we will be in the area. I'll stop in and try very hard to remain calm, and maybe just maybe I'll finally get an appointment. They told me when I was there last to call the 1st of February to make an appointment for March. Just following orders.

This is the vent thread, isn't it. Steam coming out of the top of my head.
stark

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Strange way for a Dr. to retain his customer base.

Be well in spite of him!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
starrydreamer

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Ballerina wrote:I have been trying since February 5th to reach my cardiologist by phone. All I get is - "the lines are busy, someone will be with you shortly." Nuh uh - no one gets back at all, let alone shortly. I've called every day, 3 x's a day, always the same message. I sent a letter 10 days ago asking for someone to call me so I could make an appointment. Still no response. This Thursday we will be in the area. I'll stop in and try very hard to remain calm, and maybe just maybe I'll finally get an appointment. They told me when I was there last to call the 1st of February to make an appointment for March. Just following orders.

Noooo, not cool. Hope you are able to get your appointment.
Catalina

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:01 pm

Ballerina wrote:I have been trying since February 5th to reach my cardiologist by phone. All I get is - "the lines are busy, someone will be with you shortly." Nuh uh - no one gets back at all, let alone shortly. I've called every day, 3 x's a day, always the same message. I sent a letter 10 days ago asking for someone to call me so I could make an appointment. Still no response. This Thursday we will be in the area. I'll stop in and try very hard to remain calm, and maybe just maybe I'll finally get an appointment. They told me when I was there last to call the 1st of February to make an appointment for March. Just following orders.

That's flat out bizarre.
stark

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:06 pm

Florida follow-up....

Congrats to Dicks Sporting Goods for taking a stand that may impact their sales bottom line.

Won't sell any AR-15s
Won't sell guns to anybody under 21.
Won't sell high capacity magazines.
Won't sell bump stocks.

Of course nobody knows what, if any, effect this will have on the big picture, but it beats the heck out of forming another committee and discussing it some more.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/busine ... es-n851881
Catalina

Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Step in the right direction. It's what a lot of people think should be implemented.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:17 pm

Love the fact that other states are asking Delta to consider them as its new headquarters, since some politicos in Georgia are threatening to punish the company for discontinuing its NRA discounts.
Maybe I should have posted this in Happiness instead? :P :lol:
Tessablue

Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Tessablue wrote:It doesn't have to happen here, either, but it will keep happening until your incomprehensibly vicious, fearmongering, nihilistic ideology is ground into dust. And if my generation doesn't do it, the next one will.
Tessablue wrote:All these arguments? All that fear you desperately cling to? It's not just pointless- it'll be a source of scorn and derision for generations, until it's finally forgotten. That's your legacy!
Tessablue wrote:I just want to make it as clear as possible that no matter how entrenched you are, you're going to lose, and history will not be kind about it.
I love it when things get started ahead of schedule :D
starrydreamer

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:06 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Love the fact that other states are asking Delta to consider them as its new headquarters, since some politicos in Georgia are threatening to punish the company for discontinuing its NRA discounts.
Maybe I should have posted this in Happiness instead? :P :lol:
Seriously. Delta's main hub being Atlanta has been a huge deal for Georgia and THIS is how some of Georgia's politicians have chosen to thank them? I hope Delta doesn't cave on the whole NRA discount thing and actually does move to a new state.
stark

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 am

Tessablue wrote:
Tessablue wrote:I just want to make it as clear as possible that no matter how entrenched you are, you're going to lose, and history will not be kind about it.
I love it when things get started ahead of schedule :D
And closure is just around the corner.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lWzTvdtEx0
stark

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:49 am

Not really venting, just dazed and confused after watching another Hollywood production of the Academy Awards. Hoping somebody here can explain to me in layman's terms why the ladies decide to dress up like high priced hookers? I mean, you see just about as much skin on Main&Broadway from ladies that charge by the hour.

The Oscar crowd almost seems to be playing a dangerous game of I-double-dare-you to say anything about my cleavage or my lack of underwear. Slits down to there and slits up to there leave little to the imagination. In today's environment of "equals" can you imagine if one of the men decided it was okay to show off his six-pack and dressed with a shirt cut down to there. Or God forbid he wore pants so tight as to show off a body part he was personally impressed with?

While the fancy designer names always seem to crave attention and get a shout-out, I'm kinda surprised I've never heard that one of the ladies shopped at Fredericks of Hollywood for the big night! "Just picked it out right off the rack" :lol: How refreshing!

Beautiful? No doubt.
Necessary? Doubtful.

Mixed messages that confuse simple minded men....fo'sure.
starrydreamer

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Stark, you really seem to hate the awards shows. But you keep watching. Nobody's forcing you.

I don't care much for awards shows, so I don't watch. I used to watch so I could see the dresses but photos of everyone are basically on the internet in real time nowadays, so I just look at those. Jennifer Garner looked wonderful, as did Allison Janney, Mira Sorvino, and Gina Rodriguez. I'd wear any of those gowns. Also, Helen Mirren was wearing my favorite shade of blue.

Apparently, Emma Stone announced the best director nominees as "four men, and Greta Gerwig." And yes, it's great that a woman was nominated and it's not great that it was only one woman. But Stone totally discounted the fact that the nominees included two minorities (yes, they're men but as minorities, they face challenges as well) - and one of them won. Yes, this year is all about #timesup and female empowerment, but are we so quick to forget that last year was the year of #oscarssowhite? Plus, she had that controversy recently in Aloha where she, a very very white woman, decided she could pass as part Asian and part Hawaiian. It's not like being in a Cameron Crowe film is so elite or she doesn't get scripts thrown at her from all directions. She could have turned down that role. And she didn't. I'm over her whiteness and all of this exclusionary feminism.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:54 pm

Perhaps what may look like extreme feminism is an aspect of the need to push hard to move the patriarchal pendulum far enough to actually reach equality?
I enjoy looking at the dresses because some of them are beautiful works of art, but it's true that there is a double standard when it comes to formal dress for women and men. It wasn't always that way; a few centuries ago, you could find extravagant apparel for men that would rival the Oscar gowns. Now, the guys can get away with look-alike tuxedos. A red suit like Armie Hammer's is considered 'different.' :P
The one article of formal wear that really pushes my Vent button is the extremely high heel shoes that almost all the women strap themselves into. Those things are horribly uncomfortable, plus damaging to the feet, hips and spine. They're the Western world's version of foot-binding. :evil:
There were a couple of female presenters who came out with their stilettos in hand, joking about how their feet hurt. Maybe more women should wake up to the fact that high heels are meant to appeal to men, and wearing them is participation in more male manipulation.
The only useless piece of clothing men get pressured to wear is a TIE...and that's hardly painful. :lol:
starrydreamer

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:20 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Perhaps what may look like extreme feminism is an aspect of the need to push hard to move the patriarchal pendulum far enough to actually reach equality?
But does it need to be at the expense of racial minorities who have also been pushed aside, often extremely rudely? Why does it need to be one (women's equality/feminism) or the other (racial equality)? Both can be achieved at the same time, and there are plenty of women who don't push one out of the way in favor of the other. Emma Stone doesn't seem to be one of them. She has the right to be that way but I don't have to like it.

Ugh, I hear you on the high heels. I like being taller and the way my legs look in heels - but why do I need to pretend to have long legs and be taller than I really am? All at the expense of my feet. I rarely wear heels anymore. However, I LOVE wearing expensive gowns. Yeah, it's uncomfortable sometimes to wear them for a full night (not all formal dresses are uncomfortable, though), but it's all fun.
stark

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:32 pm

starrydreamer wrote:However, I LOVE wearing expensive gowns. Yeah, it's uncomfortable sometimes to wear them for a full night (not all formal dresses are uncomfortable, though), but it's all fun.
Not necessarily you in particular, but how in the heck do some of those ladies negotiate a bathroom stall, especially the dresses with the trains in tow. I'm guessing their assistants have to go with them, but that's not all that unusual for two ladies at at time to go the powder room.
starrydreamer

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:06 pm

stark wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:However, I LOVE wearing expensive gowns. Yeah, it's uncomfortable sometimes to wear them for a full night (not all formal dresses are uncomfortable, though), but it's all fun.
Not necessarily you in particular, but how in the heck do some of those ladies negotiate a bathroom stall, especially the dresses with the trains in tow. I'm guessing their assistants have to go with them, but that's not all that unusual for two ladies at at time to go the powder room.
That is a woman's secret. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But a lot of the time, the secret is not drinking much and just not going to the bathroom.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:13 pm

But does it need to be at the expense of racial minorities who have also been pushed aside, often extremely rudely? Why does it need to be one (women's equality/feminism) or the other (racial equality)?

It shouldn't, but finding that total even-handedness for all is going to be a work in progress for a while, I suspect. And I'm not shocked...or even terribly upset...by the single-mindedness of some of those women.
If they were victims of sexual harassment, assault or rape, that can make even a person who wants equality for all focus on that issue. :(
stark

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 pm

What's your best guess as to what's going on? (perhaps this belongs in the Happiness thread? )

BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:59 pm

McDonald's across the country are honoring International Women's Day.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/loca ... 83093.html
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/404976002

Definitely could be in the Happiness thread. :D