The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Ballerina » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:27 pm

When I said "hope THEY can figure out how come AND DO SOMETHING.." I was referring to your doctors, and not that you yourself need to figure it out. Or that you yourself need to come up with something that will keep it from coming back.

Get well soon.[/quote]

I'm not self-medicating. This is all my doctor's advice. Thanks for the get well soon.
Ballerina

Postby Somnambulist » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:23 pm

Ballerina wrote:When I said "hope THEY can figure out how come AND DO SOMETHING.." I was referring to your doctors, and not that you yourself need to figure it out. Or that you yourself need to come up with something that will keep it from coming back.

Get well soon.

I'm not self-medicating. This is all my doctor's advice. Thanks for the get well soon.[/quote]

My mom has has this a few times and has severe asthma. When it's particularly bad she lays a hot water bottle across her chest for an hour or so and gets some relief. Then lays it across her upper back. She is spirin resistant.

Don't know if the heat is just comforting or if it actually works, but I figured I would pass along. I know from my own pain (chronic muscle pain) even if it helps 2% the wamrth is some great placebo effect.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Ballerina » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 am

Somnambulist wrote:My mom has has this a few times and has severe asthma. When it's particularly bad she lays a hot water bottle across her chest for an hour or so and gets some relief. Then lays it across her upper back. She is spirin resistant.

Don't know if the heat is just comforting or if it actually works, but I figured I would pass along. I know from my own pain (chronic muscle pain) even if it helps 2% the wamrth is some great placebo effect.

I have been using alternating moist heat and cold. It helps temporarily. Pain meds that I'm using that give me the most relief are 50 mgs. of Tramadol and 500 mgs. Tylenol. I take it sparingly when the pain gets too bad. Going to wait until I finish up the steroids - Thursday. If I'm not doing better by then, I'll put in another call to my GP. Thanks for your concern and suggestion.
Ballerina

Postby Miesque1973 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am

This is my last full week of disability, I hope. My surgery site wound is healing nicely, I'm having no pain to speak of (or shriek about, which is even better), and the only side effect I'm experiencing is a numb left foot. I'll take numb over 'please-kill-me-now' pain any day. I still hate this blasted brace--sometimes it's like wrestling an octopus to get it on and wrapped around my waist and then tightened. No bending, twisting, lifting anything heavy... so I had to cancel competing in that weight-lifting tournament, goldernit...

Other than that, I'm so bored. I can't say as I look forward to going back to work next Wednesday (will I remember how to do my job? <shudder>), but at least my restless mind will have something focus on. I haven't even written any fiction. Maybe my muse is frightened by the sound of Velcro ripping.

Less than a month to the Derby. I still have no idea which horse to jinx by picking him. As always, I just hope the winner doesn't have a dumb name. I've seen a few such names, but now I can't remember any of them.

Those of you here who are sick or injured, I hope you're on the road to recovery, or are at least the on-ramp thereof! :D

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby Insane Crazy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Fell off another horse on Monday and fell directly on my lower spine...again. :x It hurt so bad I went to urgent care. Bless the amazing found family I have here in Vermont for shuttling me around and keeping an eye on me.

The fractures from 2015 are healed and fine, and from what they could see on the x-rays, everything looks okay. But that could be wrong! Fractures taken eons to show up at times, and the x-rays weren't perfect, so they might've missed stuff. Luckily, I *think* the intense pain was just the initial trauma and then lots of muscle spasms. We're pushing a week and it still quite obviously hurts, though it's way better. I still get really fatigued/sore if I do too much -- cleaning the rat cage today was an Event. Still hurts to bend in certain directions, still generally achey, hurts to roll over at night, etc. But I have muscle relaxers. Those puppies turn me into Sleeping Beauty.

I'm hoping it's just a lot of internal bruising, or even a bone bruise. I think if I end up having to go back for more pictures and they find another fracture, my Super Chill exterior about this habit of breaking my vertebrae will unravel very rapidly. I don't need that panic attack right now. Oof.

Granted, they can't do shit for back stuff. Unless it had actually snapped in half or shattered, or something (which thankfully it didn't!), they'd just tell me to rest for a while then do PT. I can do PT for my back in my sleep. But, still. This isn't fun. Also, my insurance doesn't cover x-rays until after the deductible. Grrrr.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby Catalina » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:09 am

Insane Crazy wrote:Fell off another horse on Monday and fell directly on my lower spine...again. :x It hurt so bad I went to urgent care. Bless the amazing found family I have here in Vermont for shuttling me around and keeping an eye on me.

There are actually classes (and of course sports, like martial arts) that teach you how to fall safely. Or, relatively safely. It's a life skill well worth developing.
Catalina

Postby Insane Crazy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:06 pm

Catalina wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:Fell off another horse on Monday and fell directly on my lower spine...again. :x It hurt so bad I went to urgent care. Bless the amazing found family I have here in Vermont for shuttling me around and keeping an eye on me.

There are actually classes (and of course sports, like martial arts) that teach you how to fall safely. Or, relatively safely. It's a life skill well worth developing.

I'm pretty good at falling overall, just not lately...obviously, lol. Falling off on the driveway was really tricky no matter how I sliced it.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby Miesque1973 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Isn't 'fall safely' an oxymoron? :lol:

Every time I think of 'falling safely', I think about Jackie Chan movies. "Put him against Bruce Lee, bare-fisted, Bruce mops the floor with Jackie. Give Jackie a paperclip, Bruce doesn't have a chance... "

Then again, Jackie is frequently injured. Maybe he hasn't mastered falling safely yet.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Then again, Jackie is frequently injured.

With Jackie, that may have had to do with that fact that he was falling from a building, or a mountain, or something else a bit taller than a mere horse. :P :lol: :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Tessablue » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:37 pm

sent my dissertation in and immediately got the flu. Bet this is related to the fact that I always get sick on vacation. Joke's on you, constantly stressed body, I'm going to have a real job with real hours soon! Hopefully!
Tessablue

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around