The VENT Thread

Miesque1973

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:56 am

Something attacked my dove, George, today. He lives in a modified parrot cage outside, under our carport, but either a cat or a hawk got at him. I saw a smallish hawk (probably a Cooper's) sitting on his cage after I had already taken George inside to examine him. George's neck is bloodied up, lots of feathers are missing from the area, and the bottom of his wing is damaged. For all that, he's still relatively alert and moving around, but aside from drinking some water, he hasn't eaten anything yet--not even his much-loved greens.

He's been injured before, but not as badly as this. I don't know that a vet can really do much for him than I have--I've cleaned up his wound pretty well and put some medicine on his neck, but I couldn't find any sign of an actual puncture wound. Right now, he's sitting in my bedroom, on the 'second floor' of my old doll house, where food and water is ready for him when he needs it. He's sitting on the edge of the food bowl, in fact, and seems to have no trouble staying upright. He's not shaking or unresponsive, and he doesn't freak out when I touch him, even when I cleaned the wound. What I'm worried about is that his crop is damaged and he might not be able to swallow any more. If he still looks as pitiful tomorrow afternoon as he does now, I may go ahead and take him to the vet (there's an avian clinic in Austin). I won't have him suffer, but I want to give him a chance.

I'll be devastated if he dies. I should be ready for that, as he's probably over twelve years old now, but I won't be ready for it at all. At least he's got offspring that friends of mine own, and if he does die, I can go get one of them to be George II.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:21 pm

So sorry that your little friend is hurt. I wonder how a hawk was able to reach him if George is within a cage? Could the bird have surprised him while he was sleeping too close to the side of the cage?
From what I was able to look up about doves, twelve definitely qualifies George for 'senior citizen,' so you have been a really good bird mom.
Good luck...hope he perks up.
Miesque1973

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:12 pm

I don't really think he's going to die, but he sure does look pitiful. Just the same, he's alert and curious and walks around (with a kind of goosestep that would be hilarious if the situation wasn't so miserable). But his wound still bleeds a bit. My friend who raises doves recommended I put Neosporin on the wound, and I have something similar. So for now... he sits in the old doll house, on top of his food bowl, and dozes. He sips water sometimes, but he still won't eat. His neck sticks out under his beak, as if his crop might be damaged. He hasn't cooed at all, but he makes objection sounds when I handle him to put his medicine on.

We're working on adding a plexiglass front cover to the cage. If he recovers well, I'll put him back out there, with better security, and maybe a new bride in the spring. More later. We have to run out to Ace hardware to get a few things.

It's a good thing he's so tame or I'm not sure I would have been to doctor him as much as I have!

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:04 pm

When we came home he had moved from the dollhouse to perch under my desk. So apparently his rather feisty personality remains intact. That's George for you--he does what HE wants to do, and that's that! But I still moved him back to the dollhouse and he's sitting quietly now. I wish I had a dovesitter to call, because I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and two more on Tuesday. Guh...

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:56 pm

You wouldn't think it, but it's remarkable how resilient doves are. George is, from what I can tell, doing just fine. He's eating and drinking well, and while he has trouble getting up onto the perch, he does manage but appreciates a little help. He hasn't cooed yet, but from for all intents and purposes he is recovering. Meanwhile, I've improved security on his cage, with plexiglass across the front door, covering the gaps where predators can get their filthy paws and claws in, and its all held together with bungee cords. It's the Hannibal Lecter cage! (It's still well ventilated, of course--only the front of the cage is covered up)

Just the same, I'm keeping him indoors at night (it's chilly outside at night anyway). He looks a little pitiful, but he behaves as though he's pretty cheerful.

~Miesque
TapitsGal

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Seriously hating my body right now. Discharged from hospital Friday and readmitted today with the same thing... pancreatitis. I don't drink, do drugs or smoke and NOBODY seems to have any answers as to how I can avoid these frequent admissions. I eat a low fat diet
Somnambulist

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:50 pm

Navigating the precarious waters of delegating work to someone older than your mother...
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Miesque1973

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:45 pm

A hawk was perched on the windowsill today, peering in at the finches in the kitchen and looking frustrated. "Har-har! You can't get George and you can't get Spike, Frasier or Mary!"

So I'm venting on his behalf.

~Miesque
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Holy crap, this SoCal rain storm is no joke. It's been raining Biblical flood level since before dawn, and there's been no real easing.
High winds have blown off some parts of a neighbor's home, and is making my walls flex. The street isn't a street...it's a river.
The noise on my roof sounds like a marching band on a train. It's so loud that my cats are hiding under the bed covers...which is new for them.
It's raining so hard that my DirecTV signal has completely cut out...which has never happened to me before. :shock:
I've got water dribbling from all my vents, in my bathrooms and over my stove. If I don't develop leaks in my roof, I will consider that a small (maybe not-so-small?) miracle.
Anyone want to name this storm? Surely the Atlantic Hurricane Center has a few spares that weren't used last year?
Somnambulist

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:19 pm

It's so bad. I wish it would stop. I have a client with what looks like a million dollar claim from it.

I'm sure it's not the first either.. ugh.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Right now I am ridiculously grateful that I no longer have to commute to work. The freeways are either waterlogged parking lots, or seriously under water.
The northbound 101 Freeway is completely blocked south of Santa Barbara at La Conchita due to a mudslide, and you can be sure that a lot of roads are going to be blocked. Water, mud, downed trees, even downed power lines...which has already killed one man. :(
luvsgeldings

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:15 pm

yeah Baroque, this is some storm for us here - our roof is leaking now too - I work full time from home but worried about my husband getting home from work - we live near Los Alamitos racetrack - he works out in Huntington Beach - he said the streets around his company have a lot of rising water - our power here at home has been going out, off and on - there are some tree's down in a park near here too - scary stuff - just praying everyone gets home safely and stays safe.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 pm

I was joking (sort of) with my sister about naming this storm. Well, the weather guy on my news was just showing the radar of this storm, and he said that with the rotational low that was driving it, the low barometric pressure, and the high winds (I mean, the Malibu Hills above me had wind gusts of 80 mph earlier today :o ), this storm was equal to a Category 1 hurricane.
We've even got water spouts off the coast.
Miesque1973

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Back on disability. The pain started in yesterday and only got worse today. I had to call off work at about 11:30am and started calling HR and Cigna (who handles the STD claim) and the ortho surgeon to get started on another round of disability benefits. So I'm seeing the surgeon's PA on Tuesday and I'm going to tell him that surgery seems like the only other option I have now--I've done physical therapy and the shot, and the shot's effects lasted a week, and PT only addresses the symptoms, not the cause of the pain. The pain is pretty much the same as it was at the beginning, though maybe just a tad less as awful, but it's definitely awful enough that I can't sit for more than 10 minutes. Standing is a little easier, but walking... pfft... forget that. If I have to go grocery shopping, I'm trundling about in a riding cart, wincing from pain the whole time. Not even the anti-inflammatory RX I got from the doc who gave me the shot really does much for it, and if I keep taking so much Aleve I'll burn a hole in my stomach. So... guh.

But the weather is pretty for February! You know... for now... before the heat wave comes.

~Miesque
Somnambulist

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:47 am

Life. Curve balls.

It's 9:45 and I would like a very potent gin and tonic if I may.

In the past month:
A girl in my department is on medical leave until further notice and I essentially am running a department.

Now my boss is leaving. Leaving me and a temp. I'm not a manager but I'm essentially being put into this role. At least I think. This is equal parts a great opportunity for me to shine and also bad. I don't really have the experience for this and at the same time with new responsibilities I want a raise. Wonder how this is going to work.
stark

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Life. Curve balls.

It's 9:45 and I would like a very potent gin and tonic if I may.

In the past month:
A girl in my department is on medical leave until further notice and I essentially am running a department.

Now my boss is leaving. Leaving me and a temp. I'm not a manager but I'm essentially being put into this role. At least I think. This is equal parts a great opportunity for me to shine and also bad. I don't really have the experience for this and at the same time with new responsibilities I want a raise. Wonder how this is going to work.
Having been in management longer than you've been alive I do have some experience and some expertise in these situations. I have faith and firmly believe that you are capable of stepping up and taking on additional responsibilities. I'd like to see you perform at a higher level for 6 months before discussing a formal promotion and an increase in compensation with you. Obviously it would help if you'd reduce your time on the internet and devote yourself 100% to your expanding role.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Starks a grade a chode. What else is new. Find someone new to stalk creeper. It's amazing how much you think about me. It's restraining order worthy.
stark

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Starks a grade a chode. What else is new. Find someone new to stalk creeper. It's amazing how much you think about me. It's restraining order worthy.
There's no need to be so defensive and insulting at the same time.

If you don't want the constructive criticism then don't post your tales of woe in the first place!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:08 pm

I just don't know how you even know which days and what hours I work.

Stop being creepy.
Miesque1973

Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Slammed a riding cart into the side of a fruit display stand Saturday night, at HEB, while trying to do a U-turn. At least nothing came tumbling out, but a few weeks ago I came within about an inch of wiping out a display of wine bottles with a decidedly more recalcitrant riding cart. That would have been evening news material, believe me, and very expensive at that!

~Miesque