The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby peeptoad » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:45 am

Tessablue wrote:sent my dissertation in and immediately got the flu. Bet this is related to the fact that I always get sick on vacation. Joke's on you, constantly stressed body, I'm going to have a real job with real hours soon! Hopefully!

It's going around... a few people at my job are out with it. I got some nasty virus last month, but it wasn't the flu thankfully.
feel better
peeptoad

Postby Catalina » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:04 am

Tessablue wrote:sent my dissertation in and immediately got the flu. Bet this is related to the fact that I always get sick on vacation. Joke's on you, constantly stressed body, I'm going to have a real job with real hours soon! Hopefully!

And now you wait to hear if it'll be accepted as is or what changes they would like to see? Good luck with the flu.
Catalina

Postby Miesque1973 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Mark Kenya up with Belgium as being completely unable (or unwilling?) to find or provide even the slightest speck of information on their respective country's classic winners. Several months of pleading with folks in Kenya resulted in just the names, some coat colors, and sire and dam names of Kenya's classic winners. But apparently no one ever bothered to actually record the pedigrees of any of the horses that won. Perhaps those horses weren't Thoroughbreds.

Today my contact in Kenya (with Ngong Racecourse) just sent the same list of winners of the five classic races. No new info. She's claimed that they just couldn't get the information. I'm thinking they never had it to begin with.

So disappointed, and kind of... irritated. Who doesn't keep record of stuff like that?! Maybe I'll post the lists of winners and what little info I have on them to the Old Bald Peg group and see if they can find anything, but then again, they generally ignore me, as I don't have GSB's from 1779.

Grrr....

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby starrydreamer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:05 pm

InsaneCrazy - OUCH. Hoping you have spine bruising and not a fracture.

I got my tooth pulled and now I'm hoping I don't have dry socket. And thankfully, my child has gotten over whatever was causing that nasty cough (except he had a coughing fit this morning while I was driving him to daycare and he turned purple), with the help of 10 days of oral steroids. I don't want to think about the long-term consequences of all his oral steroid usage. Having a child with crap lungs is exhausting.
starrydreamer

Postby BlindLucky » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Eight months ago my dog got very sick. It was some sort of systemic bacterial infection and he almost died. I've spent every waking moment of the last 8 months nursing him back to his happy, sweet, smart, loving self. It's been hard and very expensive, but worth every single dime and every single minute of lost sleep.

Last week, out of the blue, his kidneys began to shut down. There was nothing I could do, the vets were at a loss, so on Saturday I put my very best friend to sleep. There aren't words for me to express how much I loved this dog. He was my whole heart.

I tried so hard for so long, and it ended so suddenly. It's the most insanely unfair thing that dogs have a life expectancy of only a fraction of ours. I hate this year.

Finn, you were so loved.

His adopted-the-same-day sister, who died last year from cancer:

As puppies:

Their Charlie's Angels impression:

Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby Catalina » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:00 pm

BL, I am so, so sorry about your loss of Finn. They take part of our soul with them when they leave.
Catalina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 pm

Oh no...BL, I'm so sorry. :cry:
I know what it's like to lose a best furry friend, and it sucks that their lives are so much shorter than ours.
Finn was lucky to have you as his mom, and it's clear from your photos that he was a happy, happy dog.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby TapitsGal » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:11 am

I'm so tired of getting no support from my family or parents. When my younger sister chose her college major and it was something she's passionate about (recreational therapy) and when my older brother chose his major(political science) my parents were extremely supportive and willing to help them pay for college and courses etc. when I decided on MY major( biological science degree at a local community college with the plan of transferring to the local state university and getting a companion animal science degree so I can go on to become a dog trainer) I'm told to quit wasting my time and everyone else's time on a nonsense degree I can never make a living on and that I have to completely find a way to self-fund college(not a big deal I get grants) and that even though my car is in the shop, I am not allowed to take THEIR car tomorrow and go meet with my academic advisor to pick summer classes but I CAN take the car and volunteer doing my pet therapy and "I'm lucky they are allowing that"
TapitsGal

Postby Catalina » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:17 pm

TapitsGal wrote:I'm so tired of getting no support from my family or parents. When my younger sister chose her college major and it was something she's passionate about (recreational therapy) and when my older brother chose his major(political science) my parents were extremely supportive and willing to help them pay for college and courses etc. when I decided on MY major( biological science degree at a local community college with the plan of transferring to the local state university and getting a companion animal science degree so I can go on to become a dog trainer) I'm told to quit wasting my time and everyone else's time on a nonsense degree I can never make a living on and that I have to completely find a way to self-fund college(not a big deal I get grants) and that even though my car is in the shop, I am not allowed to take THEIR car tomorrow and go meet with my academic advisor to pick summer classes but I CAN take the car and volunteer doing my pet therapy and "I'm lucky they are allowing that"

There are a lot of career options in the field of animal science. Have you considered aiming for something that holds out a better chance of reliable income, and do the companion animal bit as a minor? If we (that is the world) are heading for times of economic hardship (and I for one think we are), paying someone to train their dog may be one of the non-essential expenses that people would cut from their budget, and instead look up "obedience training for dummies" on the internet. One of the other more acceptable career goals might appease your parents and still keep the dog training dream alive.
Catalina

Postby peeptoad » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 am

BlindLucky, I remember you posted pics of Finn a few months ago playing in the snow. I am so sorry for your loss... :(
peeptoad

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around