The VENT Thread

BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Right now I am ridiculously grateful that I no longer have to commute to work. The freeways are either waterlogged parking lots, or seriously under water.
The northbound 101 Freeway is completely blocked south of Santa Barbara at La Conchita due to a mudslide, and you can be sure that a lot of roads are going to be blocked. Water, mud, downed trees, even downed power lines...which has already killed one man. :(
luvsgeldings

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:15 pm

yeah Baroque, this is some storm for us here - our roof is leaking now too - I work full time from home but worried about my husband getting home from work - we live near Los Alamitos racetrack - he works out in Huntington Beach - he said the streets around his company have a lot of rising water - our power here at home has been going out, off and on - there are some tree's down in a park near here too - scary stuff - just praying everyone gets home safely and stays safe.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 pm

I was joking (sort of) with my sister about naming this storm. Well, the weather guy on my news was just showing the radar of this storm, and he said that with the rotational low that was driving it, the low barometric pressure, and the high winds (I mean, the Malibu Hills above me had wind gusts of 80 mph earlier today :o ), this storm was equal to a Category 1 hurricane.
We've even got water spouts off the coast.
Miesque1973

Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Back on disability. The pain started in yesterday and only got worse today. I had to call off work at about 11:30am and started calling HR and Cigna (who handles the STD claim) and the ortho surgeon to get started on another round of disability benefits. So I'm seeing the surgeon's PA on Tuesday and I'm going to tell him that surgery seems like the only other option I have now--I've done physical therapy and the shot, and the shot's effects lasted a week, and PT only addresses the symptoms, not the cause of the pain. The pain is pretty much the same as it was at the beginning, though maybe just a tad less as awful, but it's definitely awful enough that I can't sit for more than 10 minutes. Standing is a little easier, but walking... pfft... forget that. If I have to go grocery shopping, I'm trundling about in a riding cart, wincing from pain the whole time. Not even the anti-inflammatory RX I got from the doc who gave me the shot really does much for it, and if I keep taking so much Aleve I'll burn a hole in my stomach. So... guh.

But the weather is pretty for February! You know... for now... before the heat wave comes.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Somnambulist

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:47 am

Life. Curve balls.

It's 9:45 and I would like a very potent gin and tonic if I may.

In the past month:
A girl in my department is on medical leave until further notice and I essentially am running a department.

Now my boss is leaving. Leaving me and a temp. I'm not a manager but I'm essentially being put into this role. At least I think. This is equal parts a great opportunity for me to shine and also bad. I don't really have the experience for this and at the same time with new responsibilities I want a raise. Wonder how this is going to work.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
stark

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Life. Curve balls.

It's 9:45 and I would like a very potent gin and tonic if I may.

In the past month:
A girl in my department is on medical leave until further notice and I essentially am running a department.

Now my boss is leaving. Leaving me and a temp. I'm not a manager but I'm essentially being put into this role. At least I think. This is equal parts a great opportunity for me to shine and also bad. I don't really have the experience for this and at the same time with new responsibilities I want a raise. Wonder how this is going to work.
Having been in management longer than you've been alive I do have some experience and some expertise in these situations. I have faith and firmly believe that you are capable of stepping up and taking on additional responsibilities. I'd like to see you perform at a higher level for 6 months before discussing a formal promotion and an increase in compensation with you. Obviously it would help if you'd reduce your time on the internet and devote yourself 100% to your expanding role.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Starks a grade a chode. What else is new. Find someone new to stalk creeper. It's amazing how much you think about me. It's restraining order worthy.
stark

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Starks a grade a chode. What else is new. Find someone new to stalk creeper. It's amazing how much you think about me. It's restraining order worthy.
There's no need to be so defensive and insulting at the same time.

If you don't want the constructive criticism then don't post your tales of woe in the first place!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Somnambulist

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:08 pm

I just don't know how you even know which days and what hours I work.

Stop being creepy.
Miesque1973

Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Slammed a riding cart into the side of a fruit display stand Saturday night, at HEB, while trying to do a U-turn. At least nothing came tumbling out, but a few weeks ago I came within about an inch of wiping out a display of wine bottles with a decidedly more recalcitrant riding cart. That would have been evening news material, believe me, and very expensive at that!

~Miesque
Miesque1973

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Good news or bad news depending on one's point of view: surgery on my lower back is scheduled for Wednesday March 8. Might be back to work two weeks after that.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting to hear about my short term disability claim. I keep checking the Cigna website, and still... nothing. So frustrating. Maybe it's in medical review...

Then there's the medical bills. It'll be 16 months before it's all paid off (monthly payments). That's not even counting the bills I'll get from everybody from the anesthesiologist to the OR janitor... ugh. Just the same, it's better to be alive with a bill to pay than dead for free.

Otherwise, George the dove is doing well, I got the bird feeders all filled up this afternoon without a great deal of pain involved, and I was scolded by an enraged wren after I pulled its nesting materials out of the dryer vent and covered the hole with a nylon stocking. I don't think the wren really thought that site through--a dryer vent is no place to raise a family!

~Miesque
War Admiral

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:33 pm

I know I am being a nitpick here but there are certain places you should just NOT text--- movie theater, stage plays, while driving, and church. Surely nothing is so important that it can't wait an hour or two. And if you text while driving you are risking the lives of other people as well as your own. Put the phone down for petes sake.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:51 pm

And if you text while handling the winners' cards for the Academy Awards, you might hand the wrong one to the presenters. :P ;)
KimmieB

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:07 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:And if you text while handling the winners' cards for the Academy Awards, you might hand the wrong one to the presenters. :P ;)
Is that what happened?!
I was curious to the story behind.
serenassong

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:47 pm

War Admiral wrote:I know I am being a nitpick here but there are certain places you should just NOT text--- movie theater, stage plays, while driving, and church. Surely nothing is so important that it can't wait an hour or two. And if you text while driving you are risking the lives of other people as well as your own. Put the phone down for petes sake.
And, for those who just cant wait while in the car- more and more cars have blue tooth technology- you can voice activate and send and receive calls and texts. I agree that there is a proper place and time for technology.

When car/cell phones came out and I saw people using them behind the wheel, I thought that there really no reason to be on one unless you are in labor or having a heart attack needing help.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:57 pm

Sorry, but using hands-free tech doesn't really address the accident-causing aspect of divided attention in a driver.
If you're trying to compose a message, or carry on a conversation with someone who is not in the car (and I even tend to restrict those :P ), you're not paying 100% attention to driving a multi-ton mobile weapon of destruction.
Miesque1973

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:20 am

Surgery done!

They had the HARDEST time getting blood samples from me. Apparently my hemachromatosis kicked in big-time, because according to the nurse, my blood was like 'sludge'. Really, really thick. Then when they had to put in the IV, it took at least nine different pokes before a vein finally came up and stayed. I woke up in a daze, and spent another hour or so being pestered to stay awake, as my oxygen levels dropped whenever I fell asleep. Then we ate a baked potato at Wendy's and went home. I have to wear a back brace whenever I'm out of bed (Velco has become my enemy). When they were helping me get out of the gown and back into my clothes, I accidentally pulled out the IV line and dripped blood on the floor. "Wow... it is thick!" Fortunately I didn't feel anything, and the sight of blood doesn't bother me a bit. I can even watch those Pimple Popper and ear-cleaning videos on YouTube with nothing but a sense of fascination and deep sympathy for the people suffering through such things. (Just don't make me watch anything to do with eyes. I can't handle that.)

Nausea really troubles me, too--I've tossed up one meal so far, but today's Tex-Mex hasn't bothered me yet. <fingers crossed> So for the next six weeks, it's no bending, lifting, twisting or driving. I can walk pretty well, with barely any pain, but I tire out pretty fast. I also have ugly bruises on my wrists. I call it the 'Crimean War Vet Look'.

Ventage: because I've used so much short-term disability and have no personal time off remaining, I can only use 4.8 hours per day of STD starting 2/27 until I go back to work on 3/29 (my follow-up with the surgeon is 3/28, and if he says I have to wait longer to go back to work, I may strangle him with my back brace). That really ticks me off, but there's nothing I can do about it, so I'm not being paid full wages. Grrr...

The bill for the surgery: over $2400. I can pay in monthly installments, and the way it's set up, I'll have paid it off by next February. I haven't even received the bills from the anesthesiologist. Maybe I won't feel anything.

The doctor also wouldn't approve a handicap placard for more than a month, so there's no point in trying for that (Mom has one in her car, so since I ride with her anyway, it's not a big deal), and he also wouldn't approve me getting a laptop for work, so that I could work while in bed. I guess that would be kind of bad for me, as one's arms can get rather tired while typing in a prone position.

I also have absolutely no idea what horses are in the running for the Kentucky Derby. Which is my own bloody fault, but it still ticks me off. I'm so far behind...

And the Kenya Jockey Club still hasn't sent me any info on that country's classic winners' pedigrees. Zilch. It would be great to get that before I go back to work, but I have the sad feeling that nothing will ever come of it.

I got a new phone (an LG Rebel something or other) and the SD card keeps 'unmounting', which drives me crazy.

Someone once showed me some gruesome photos of someone killed while texting and driving. <shudder> I only answer my cell in my car if my passenger can talk. Otherwise, I ignore the call or pull over. Why risk anybody's life? I don't even text, really, but it seems like nobody looks up any more while walking. They're always texting (and, sometimes, smacking into walls or tumbling into fountains).

~Miesque
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:45 am

I'm glad you got through your surgery, Miesque. Hope that you recover quickly and find that your back pain is gone. Or if that's asking for too much, at least mostly gone.
Forry Cow How

Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:21 am

Miesque1973 wrote:Surgery done!

They're always texting (and, sometimes, smacking into walls or tumbling into fountains).

~Miesque
I hope you make a quick recovery, but I had to quote the above part of your vent. It made me laugh out loud. :lol: I can picture them smacking into walls and tumbling into fountains.
serenassong

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:44 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'm glad you got through your surgery, Miesque. Hope that you recover quickly and find that your back pain is gone. Or if that's asking for too much, at least mostly gone.
Indeed- quick recovery for you!
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars