The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Right now I am ridiculously grateful that I no longer have to commute to work. The freeways are either waterlogged parking lots, or seriously under water.
The northbound 101 Freeway is completely blocked south of Santa Barbara at La Conchita due to a mudslide, and you can be sure that a lot of roads are going to be blocked. Water, mud, downed trees, even downed power lines...which has already killed one man. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Postby luvsgeldings » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:15 pm

yeah Baroque, this is some storm for us here - our roof is leaking now too - I work full time from home but worried about my husband getting home from work - we live near Los Alamitos racetrack - he works out in Huntington Beach - he said the streets around his company have a lot of rising water - our power here at home has been going out, off and on - there are some tree's down in a park near here too - scary stuff - just praying everyone gets home safely and stays safe.
luvsgeldings

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:30 pm

I was joking (sort of) with my sister about naming this storm. Well, the weather guy on my news was just showing the radar of this storm, and he said that with the rotational low that was driving it, the low barometric pressure, and the high winds (I mean, the Malibu Hills above me had wind gusts of 80 mph earlier today :o ), this storm was equal to a Category 1 hurricane.
We've even got water spouts off the coast.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Miesque1973 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Back on disability. The pain started in yesterday and only got worse today. I had to call off work at about 11:30am and started calling HR and Cigna (who handles the STD claim) and the ortho surgeon to get started on another round of disability benefits. So I'm seeing the surgeon's PA on Tuesday and I'm going to tell him that surgery seems like the only other option I have now--I've done physical therapy and the shot, and the shot's effects lasted a week, and PT only addresses the symptoms, not the cause of the pain. The pain is pretty much the same as it was at the beginning, though maybe just a tad less as awful, but it's definitely awful enough that I can't sit for more than 10 minutes. Standing is a little easier, but walking... pfft... forget that. If I have to go grocery shopping, I'm trundling about in a riding cart, wincing from pain the whole time. Not even the anti-inflammatory RX I got from the doc who gave me the shot really does much for it, and if I keep taking so much Aleve I'll burn a hole in my stomach. So... guh.

But the weather is pretty for February! You know... for now... before the heat wave comes.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:47 am

Life. Curve balls.

It's 9:45 and I would like a very potent gin and tonic if I may.

In the past month:
A girl in my department is on medical leave until further notice and I essentially am running a department.

Now my boss is leaving. Leaving me and a temp. I'm not a manager but I'm essentially being put into this role. At least I think. This is equal parts a great opportunity for me to shine and also bad. I don't really have the experience for this and at the same time with new responsibilities I want a raise. Wonder how this is going to work.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby stark » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Life. Curve balls.

It's 9:45 and I would like a very potent gin and tonic if I may.

In the past month:
A girl in my department is on medical leave until further notice and I essentially am running a department.

Now my boss is leaving. Leaving me and a temp. I'm not a manager but I'm essentially being put into this role. At least I think. This is equal parts a great opportunity for me to shine and also bad. I don't really have the experience for this and at the same time with new responsibilities I want a raise. Wonder how this is going to work.

Having been in management longer than you've been alive I do have some experience and some expertise in these situations. I have faith and firmly believe that you are capable of stepping up and taking on additional responsibilities. I'd like to see you perform at a higher level for 6 months before discussing a formal promotion and an increase in compensation with you. Obviously it would help if you'd reduce your time on the internet and devote yourself 100% to your expanding role.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Starks a grade a chode. What else is new. Find someone new to stalk creeper. It's amazing how much you think about me. It's restraining order worthy.
Somnambulist

Postby stark » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Starks a grade a chode. What else is new. Find someone new to stalk creeper. It's amazing how much you think about me. It's restraining order worthy.

There's no need to be so defensive and insulting at the same time.

If you don't want the constructive criticism then don't post your tales of woe in the first place!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:08 pm

I just don't know how you even know which days and what hours I work.

Stop being creepy.
Somnambulist

Postby Miesque1973 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Slammed a riding cart into the side of a fruit display stand Saturday night, at HEB, while trying to do a U-turn. At least nothing came tumbling out, but a few weeks ago I came within about an inch of wiping out a display of wine bottles with a decidedly more recalcitrant riding cart. That would have been evening news material, believe me, and very expensive at that!

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around