The VENT Thread

Re: The VENT Thread

Postby Miesque1973 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Not a lot to kvetch about these days. We only got rain from Harvey, but no flooding in our immediate area, though Bastrop and areas around Austin got some trouble. An old tree in our back yard split in two (it was already split... I mean, two trees coming out of the root... whatever you call that) and fell apart in two directions, as a result of wind and the ground being so unprepared for rain that it couldn't handle it. The right side of the tree missed the bird feeding station and the gazing ball by inches. We needed the rain. We didn't need the split tree ($300+ to remove it) and the worry about my brother in Houston, but he came out dry and safe (and I think he's about 73 feet above sea level).

We got four inches of rain during that fateful weekend, and after a long, miserable drought, that was welcome, but I hated seeing people on the coast suffering so. I've been through hurricanes (I grew up in the Houston area), but I don't recall major flooding then. I do remember my stupid brothers telling me I would go down the drain, like water in the bathtub. What jerks they were in their younger days.

The weather is cooling off at last! Wait, maybe this should be in the happiness thread. If our neighbor could just figure out that sound travels and that his dog's yapping at air molecules might become somewhat annoying, all would be peachy with a side of keen. Nitwit's barking now, so I assume a leaf blew by.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby ThreeMustangs » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 am

The one thing worse than a major hurricane heading directly your way? A major hurricane heading directly your way with a husband who has a cold but thinks he's at death's door.
ThreeMustangs

Postby Somnambulist » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:06 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote:The one thing worse than a major hurricane heading directly your way? A major hurricane heading directly your way with a husband who has a cold but thinks he's at death's door.

I pray you guys are safe. Best of luck.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby ThreeMustangs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:55 am

Somnambulist wrote:
ThreeMustangs wrote:The one thing worse than a major hurricane heading directly your way? A major hurricane heading directly your way with a husband who has a cold but thinks he's at death's door.

I pray you guys are safe. Best of luck.

Thanks. We are not in an evacuation zone, so we're hunkered down at home with the critters. The next 12 hours are going to be interesting.
ThreeMustangs

Previous

Return to Horsin' Around