The VENT Thread

stark

Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 am

Tessablue wrote:
Tessablue wrote:I just want to make it as clear as possible that no matter how entrenched you are, you're going to lose, and history will not be kind about it.
I love it when things get started ahead of schedule :D
And closure is just around the corner.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lWzTvdtEx0
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:49 am

Not really venting, just dazed and confused after watching another Hollywood production of the Academy Awards. Hoping somebody here can explain to me in layman's terms why the ladies decide to dress up like high priced hookers? I mean, you see just about as much skin on Main&Broadway from ladies that charge by the hour.

The Oscar crowd almost seems to be playing a dangerous game of I-double-dare-you to say anything about my cleavage or my lack of underwear. Slits down to there and slits up to there leave little to the imagination. In today's environment of "equals" can you imagine if one of the men decided it was okay to show off his six-pack and dressed with a shirt cut down to there. Or God forbid he wore pants so tight as to show off a body part he was personally impressed with?

While the fancy designer names always seem to crave attention and get a shout-out, I'm kinda surprised I've never heard that one of the ladies shopped at Fredericks of Hollywood for the big night! "Just picked it out right off the rack" :lol: How refreshing!

Beautiful? No doubt.
Necessary? Doubtful.

Mixed messages that confuse simple minded men....fo'sure.
starrydreamer

Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:09 pm

Stark, you really seem to hate the awards shows. But you keep watching. Nobody's forcing you.

I don't care much for awards shows, so I don't watch. I used to watch so I could see the dresses but photos of everyone are basically on the internet in real time nowadays, so I just look at those. Jennifer Garner looked wonderful, as did Allison Janney, Mira Sorvino, and Gina Rodriguez. I'd wear any of those gowns. Also, Helen Mirren was wearing my favorite shade of blue.

Apparently, Emma Stone announced the best director nominees as "four men, and Greta Gerwig." And yes, it's great that a woman was nominated and it's not great that it was only one woman. But Stone totally discounted the fact that the nominees included two minorities (yes, they're men but as minorities, they face challenges as well) - and one of them won. Yes, this year is all about #timesup and female empowerment, but are we so quick to forget that last year was the year of #oscarssowhite? Plus, she had that controversy recently in Aloha where she, a very very white woman, decided she could pass as part Asian and part Hawaiian. It's not like being in a Cameron Crowe film is so elite or she doesn't get scripts thrown at her from all directions. She could have turned down that role. And she didn't. I'm over her whiteness and all of this exclusionary feminism.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:54 pm

Perhaps what may look like extreme feminism is an aspect of the need to push hard to move the patriarchal pendulum far enough to actually reach equality?
I enjoy looking at the dresses because some of them are beautiful works of art, but it's true that there is a double standard when it comes to formal dress for women and men. It wasn't always that way; a few centuries ago, you could find extravagant apparel for men that would rival the Oscar gowns. Now, the guys can get away with look-alike tuxedos. A red suit like Armie Hammer's is considered 'different.' :P
The one article of formal wear that really pushes my Vent button is the extremely high heel shoes that almost all the women strap themselves into. Those things are horribly uncomfortable, plus damaging to the feet, hips and spine. They're the Western world's version of foot-binding. :evil:
There were a couple of female presenters who came out with their stilettos in hand, joking about how their feet hurt. Maybe more women should wake up to the fact that high heels are meant to appeal to men, and wearing them is participation in more male manipulation.
The only useless piece of clothing men get pressured to wear is a TIE...and that's hardly painful. :lol:
starrydreamer

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:20 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Perhaps what may look like extreme feminism is an aspect of the need to push hard to move the patriarchal pendulum far enough to actually reach equality?
But does it need to be at the expense of racial minorities who have also been pushed aside, often extremely rudely? Why does it need to be one (women's equality/feminism) or the other (racial equality)? Both can be achieved at the same time, and there are plenty of women who don't push one out of the way in favor of the other. Emma Stone doesn't seem to be one of them. She has the right to be that way but I don't have to like it.

Ugh, I hear you on the high heels. I like being taller and the way my legs look in heels - but why do I need to pretend to have long legs and be taller than I really am? All at the expense of my feet. I rarely wear heels anymore. However, I LOVE wearing expensive gowns. Yeah, it's uncomfortable sometimes to wear them for a full night (not all formal dresses are uncomfortable, though), but it's all fun.
stark

Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:32 pm

starrydreamer wrote:However, I LOVE wearing expensive gowns. Yeah, it's uncomfortable sometimes to wear them for a full night (not all formal dresses are uncomfortable, though), but it's all fun.
Not necessarily you in particular, but how in the heck do some of those ladies negotiate a bathroom stall, especially the dresses with the trains in tow. I'm guessing their assistants have to go with them, but that's not all that unusual for two ladies at at time to go the powder room.
starrydreamer

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:06 pm

stark wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:However, I LOVE wearing expensive gowns. Yeah, it's uncomfortable sometimes to wear them for a full night (not all formal dresses are uncomfortable, though), but it's all fun.
Not necessarily you in particular, but how in the heck do some of those ladies negotiate a bathroom stall, especially the dresses with the trains in tow. I'm guessing their assistants have to go with them, but that's not all that unusual for two ladies at at time to go the powder room.
That is a woman's secret. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But a lot of the time, the secret is not drinking much and just not going to the bathroom.
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:13 pm

But does it need to be at the expense of racial minorities who have also been pushed aside, often extremely rudely? Why does it need to be one (women's equality/feminism) or the other (racial equality)?

It shouldn't, but finding that total even-handedness for all is going to be a work in progress for a while, I suspect. And I'm not shocked...or even terribly upset...by the single-mindedness of some of those women.
If they were victims of sexual harassment, assault or rape, that can make even a person who wants equality for all focus on that issue. :(
stark

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:17 pm

What's your best guess as to what's going on? (perhaps this belongs in the Happiness thread? )

BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:59 pm

McDonald's across the country are honoring International Women's Day.
https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/loca ... 83093.html
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/404976002

Definitely could be in the Happiness thread. :D
stark

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:41 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:McDonald's across the country are honoring International Women's Day.

That's about as dumb an idea as I've ever heard of.
Can you imagine if I suggested the M stood for men all these years?
Ridiculous, well maybe except for the "Over 99 Billion Served" part of the sign ;)
starrydreamer

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:12 am

stark wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:McDonald's across the country are honoring International Women's Day.

That's about as dumb an idea as I've ever heard of.
Can you imagine if I suggested the M stood for men all these years?
Ridiculous, well maybe except for the "Over 99 Billion Served" part of the sign ;)
I've heard of dumber ideas...

Fast food is a dying industry for millennials and McDonalds is trying to drum up positive media attention.
stark

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Claudia Sanders
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:12 pm

That's COLONEL Claudia Sanders to you. :P
Insane Crazy

Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:41 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:That's COLONEL Claudia Sanders to you. :P
What!!! You mean...women can ALSO be Colonels???

Col. Sanders's first name is apparently Harland, by the by.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
stark

Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:02 pm

Stormy Daniels.
stark

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Probably never a good idea to be playin the ponies while you're at work, even if you're the boss and make 16 million dollars a year! :lol:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/teresagena ... dot-is-in/#
stark

Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:39 pm

Female mass shooters are rare. A recent Washington Post analysis shows only three out of 150 U.S. shootings with more than four victims since 1966 were done by women.
serenassong

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:52 am

The Winstar foaling cams really suck this year. Grainy pic, goes down all the time- and it seems like most of the mares they now put in the stalls are "client" mares- so you dont know who the mare is.
I am grateful that they allow this- but I have been watching for several years and it's horrible. I get the whole privacy thing with the "client" mares- but there are certain mares that they have put on year after year (who are favorites) and not showing up. I know that they are still there because they show up on the weekly Foal Friday segment- again, grateful, but I really do like watching the actual birth- even if it is a delay. Everyone is complaining- not sure what the issue is..

I think alot of people realized how piss poor it is this year when Foal Patrol came on line with their spectacular site- live and clear.

I get the whole privacy and protection thing- but they have had the product out for a number of years, and it's regressing.

I downgraded my membership - not worth it.

Rant over.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
stark

Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Was a 9-day walkout protest by Oklahoma teachers worth it?

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/12/us/oklah ... index.html

The walkout ends with roughly the same amount of extra education spending secured before the nine-day action began: about $479 million for teacher and support staff salaries and school needs for the upcoming fiscal year.
That raises public school spending to $2.9 billion next school year, up from $2.4 billion this year.