Westchester vs. Nassau?

Smarty Deb

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:44 am

I've gleaned from posts here that there are quite a few New Yorkers on TBC. My husband's business has plans to expand to NY next year. The warehouse space that we'll work out of will most likely be in Long Island City (not set in stone, but most in our industry warehouse there).

We want to live in the 'burbs (more space for us, 3 dogs, two cats, 2 cars, etc.). We'll be in LI Thanksgiving weekend to check out neighborhoods. I've been looking at Port Washington, Garden City, Merrick and Pelham and New Rochelle in Westchester.

Any suggestions, opinions, advice from those in the know?
Somnambulist

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:38 am

I live in Suffolk so can't comment much on anything Westchester. All the LI towns you listed are nice areas. I imagine you want no further East than Merrick, so I'll just give you towns to avoid - Hempstead, Freeport (only go to the Nautical Mile to drink!), Oceanside, Inwood. The 5 towns area includes Inwood (no bueno) but the remainder of the towns in it are very nice (Woodmere, Cedarhurst, Lawrence). Obviously I'm not trying to ask your budget or anything since that's quite personal but based off the towns you listed other comparable towns include Westbury, Great Neck, Forest Hills. Rockville Centre is ok. Roslyn & Oyster Bay are nice and you can either be super loaded living there are normal lol. Long Beach is also nice. Garden City really is lovely, and it's also very central to just about everything. The restaurants there are good. If it's up your alley and you're in the area go to Waterzooi.

LI traffic during Thanksgiving weekend is a pale comparison to it's normal self, but my suggestion to you is to do your anticipated commute from both Nassau and Westchester and see how it goes. Do you guys plan on driving or taking the train/mass transit? If you drive you will be hit with the bridge tolls coming from Westchester.

Don't let my post in the other thread about dumping waste scare you - this place can suck, but what doesn't? There is an incredible excess of things to do, experience, and see here. There aren't many places in the world where you are in the shadow of one of the greatest cities on the planet, and not even 2 hours east you're in a quiet, more rural area.

When I leave the state I am routinely humbled in the sense that we have so much here and that I take it for granted daily.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Smarty Deb

Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:40 pm

The dumping waste thread did prompt me to post, but in a good way. I'm loving all of the suggestions. The NY real estate market is not for the faint of heart! Freeport was on our original list but when we started to drill down it didn't make the cut. I'm kind of addicted to the google earth 360 view feature, it's been very helpful to get a feel for the area.

I would love to land in Garden City, but it's probably not doable. I have a good feeling about Port Washington. We would utilize both the trains and our cars depending on what's happening with work on any given day.

Our base of operations in Nov. will be the Garden City Hotel, I checked out the Waterzooi menu, it looks great. What is the LI grocery store equivalent to Whole Foods? I usually shop there and Central Market which is a big "foodie" grocery store in my city.
Somnambulist

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:16 pm

nooo Freeport is a bad area. There is one good strip there for Memorial - Labor Day weekend and that's it.

I work in personal insurance so I get you on the real estate. It's rough. Port Wash is very nice though.

Whole Foods has a few locations here, so you should be good. If you're aiming for Port Wash there is one in Manhasset by the Bed, Bath and Beyond. Trader Joe's is an alternative. Wild by Nature too, but I can only think of two of those and they're way far out east (Stony Brook). The north shore runs kind of rich in general so you're probably bound to find a local store selling similar.

BTW there are commuter passes for the LIRR for a cheaper monthly rate. Most north shore lines don't have metered train parking but you can buy passes.
Personal Ensign

Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:48 am

I grew up in Freeport but haven't been back there in over 16 years so I couldn't tell you what its like now. From what I recall Garden City is an okay area, Port Washington is too as well as Westbury and Glencove. Westchester is more country type living in my own opinion but would probably be where I would choose to live if I were coming back to that area and needed to be close to the city but wanted to be in the 'burbs.
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
W. C. Fields

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
Smarty Deb

Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:06 am

Why are houses 50-100k less in Baldwin, N. Freeport and Malverne? Some of the houses look just as nice as the other areas we've been looking at.

We really like Westchester, but Jeez the property taxes are insane.
Somnambulist

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Now you know why Westchester is snooty!!

Where we the houses you were looking at all over LI previously - north or south of 27A?
Horsebagger

Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:17 pm

Smarty Deb wrote:Why are houses 50-100k less in Baldwin, N. Freeport and Malverne? Some of the houses look just as nice as the other areas we've been looking at.

We really like Westchester, but Jeez the property taxes are insane.
Public School Districts.
Smarty Deb

Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:58 pm

North and just south of 27. We don't have kids so schools are not a concern for us (except keeping the kids off our lawn :D )

Even though the commute to Westchester looks to be about 20 minutes less, the property taxes are kind of a turn off. Sea Cliff and Glen Cove on the North Shore look like private sleepy little towns that are about my speed. I guess all will be revealed this weekend.

My husband and I both lived in New York in the 90's (didn't know each other) and with typical youthful arrogance could care less about anything happening outside of Manhattan or Brooklyn, now look at us grown ups.

Thanks so very much for the responses and advice. Happy thanksgiving to you and your families!
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:57 pm

My sister and her family lived in Sea Cliff in the early '70's while my bro-in-law commuted into NY for work. I visited a few times and thought the town was adorable and the surrounding country and coast was gorgeous. It may be less quaint after all these years, but it's probably still pretty.