Our new OTTB!

Insane Crazy

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:16 pm

Went with my supervisor/trainer on a long trek to Finger Lakes this weekend, and I'm so freakin' in love with the boy we picked up that I have to share.

His name is (lord help us) Twinkie Winks, a 2011 model by Midas Eyes out of Twinkie Zone. He's a strapping boy with lots of chrome and he's so liver chestnut that he almost passes for bay. We're trying to come up with a new name fast enough, so he doesn't get stuck with the many nicknames we're trying out. Twinkle Toes is my personal favorite.

Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Catalina

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:54 pm

Love the head shot of him peering out of his box, checking out his new digs!
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:57 pm

Congratulations on your new buddy. He's quite elegant...and cute, of course. ;)
How about Golden Zone (a nod to both 'Midas' and his dam) or Chrome Zone?
I hope you guys are very happy together. Will he be re-purposed as a hunter/jumper, or as a trail/pleasure mount?
Insane Crazy

Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:36 pm

Unfortunately he isn't "mine" (yet!), but a part of an aftercare organization that I intern with. The big dude will get a year or more of training and then be placed with the right adoptive match. I may or may not try to call dibs, though...

Our trainer is an eventer, so our guys generally train to be eventers. Some of them stay that way, while others have gone into hunter careers, dressage homes, and trail/pleasure homes.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Starine

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:36 pm

He's very handsome, and looks very happy in his new home. Is he as kind as he looks?
Insane Crazy

Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:40 pm

Starine wrote:He's very handsome, and looks very happy in his new home. Is he as kind as he looks?
He is! One reason we were drawn to him was because of his pleasant and gentle demeanor in his stall, which translated to walking around as well. He was a snuggly boy with his connections (his assistant trainer/rider calls him Lover Boy) and he seems to be interested in a lot of scratches and peppermints. So many peppermints.
peeptoad

Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:24 pm

I love that 2nd pic... he's a cutie pie.
Treve

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:19 pm

Very handsome!
For a name how about Twilight Wink?

(We got a schoolhorse this past spring who was named "baby duck" at his arrival so... he has been redubbed Gibson :lol: )
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Prairie Bayou

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:01 pm

Honestly, the name is clever. He's a beautiful boy. Congratulations!!!
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:06 pm

Eyeing The Zone
Eye In The Zone
Golden Eye
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Insane Crazy

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:50 am

Right now we are calling him "Win," and I fear Twinkie Winks may be staying. I think his future show name maybe Win-Win Situation, though. Maybe. We'll see. It changes daily.

He's a big goober but SO smart. He is very curious and though he may startle, he's very thoughtful about his responses and has yet to be a total goofball on the end of the lead or walking anywhere. Yay!

Now, behaving himself when his neighbor girlfriend is out of her stall...that's another story.... :roll:
Prairie Bayou

Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:41 pm

I know you said you call him Win. You could also use Wink. Considering it is part of his name and the name of a famous jockey. Whatever you call him he is undoubtedly beautiful and in a great home. Which in the end is all that matters most.
Insane Crazy

Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:12 pm

Win is the name that has stuck, but you're right! We tried on Wink for a while, but it just didn't fit quite right. Win, however, has been spot on.

He's a big goof. Smart, brave, and totally too clever for his own good, but also still a bit of a baby and learning as he goes! But, we just got him cleared for as much tack walking as he can stand, so guess who is working for a living now!

Starine

Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:33 pm

Aww, I bet he's happy to be back at work.

Right now I myself am conditioning a friend's Say Florida Sandy gelding for endurance riding. He does enjoy the trails but he'll need shoes back on soon as he is extremely tender-footed. And he's been good since those two times he tried to buck me off. ;)
Insane Crazy

Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:41 pm

Starine wrote:Aww, I bet he's happy to be back at work.

Right now I myself am conditioning a friend's Say Florida Sandy gelding for endurance riding. He does enjoy the trails but he'll need shoes back on soon as he is extremely tender-footed. And he's been good since those two times he tried to buck me off. ;)
He sure does seem to prefer having someone in the saddle vs. circling endlessly on the lead. He's a cutie.

Excited to hear more about your endurance gelding! We have an OTTB who is pushing 13/14 and just got his shoes off for the winter -- ouchie feets, for sure!
CoronadosQuest

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:36 am

He is cute!

His name reminds me of Tiddlywinks lol which is a game.