NFL 2016

NFL 2016

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:13 pm

Go Big Blue. Obviously.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Re: NFL 2016

Postby luvsgeldings » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:26 am

so damn happy football is back - just watched my raiders win their first pre-season game - got that hopeful feeling again that they might actually do well this year - but I have had that feeling before and by the midway point of the season, the warm fuzziness is in the dumpster - again.
luvsgeldings

Postby luvsgeldings » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:27 pm

so happy the NFL is back - watching the broncos/panthers game - the big highlight so far.... they showed Thunder running out on the field - he is such a gorgeous horse - I am a sucker for those beautiful mascot horses..... like USC's Traveler - truly lovely animals. but now, I need the panthers to win the game.
luvsgeldings

Postby Sparrow Castle » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:24 am

Not sure where this really fits in the forum. Sam Huff and his long-time partner Carol Holden are well-know in thoroughbred racing too. I didn't realize it had come to this.

Today’s NFL players should look hard at Sam Huff’s case; they could be next
This one’s for you, Peyton Manning, and you, DeAngelo Williams, and you, Jadeveon Clowney, and all NFL players and alumni: Do yourselves a favor and pay attention to the Sam Huff case. Study the events in it and understand that what’s happening to him could happen to you. Start preparing for the day when you might become incapacitated as a result of your career and wind up with a court deciding where you live.

League figures say you have a 30 percent chance of contracting Alzheimer’s or dementia. You get lots of literature from the NFL Players Association about concussions and advice from agents and lawyers about estate-planning. But what you don’t get is the real picture of how people will treat you with a stigmatizing brain disease. Sam Huff is that picture. If you don’t want a judge to determine whether you have been abused, neglected or exploited and settle your family tensions, you better make a game plan.

The first step is admitting that you are vulnerable, not invincible. This is a hard admission for men in your league but necessary. Huff is a Hall of Fame linebacker who made a great living after football. He rose to a vice presidency at Marriott, dabbled in politics and got into thoroughbred horse breeding. For 30 years, he lived on his horse farm in Middleburg, Va., with his partner, Carol Holden. But in 2012 he had dementia diagnosed. As an NFL player, you are twice as likely as the general population to receive the same diagnosis.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/todays-nfl-players-should-look-hard-at-sam-huffs-case-they-could-be-next/2016/09/15/d04c0654-7b70-11e6-bd86-b7bbd53d2b5d_story.html?postshare=3501474078488701&tid=ss_tw-bottom
Sparrow Castle

Postby seahawkgal » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:20 pm

Wow! So sad. I met Sam Huff at the 1992 Breeder's Cup @ Gulfstream park. He was a really nice guy. I believe he was connected with Saratoga Dew in the Distaff somehow. I had a 'walkaround' pass and could be by the seats where all the owners sat. Anyways, something happened to that horse in the race and the owners were fleeing their box seats to get to the barns. We just happened to be standing nearby when Sam Huff asked me and my friend to sit in their box till they got back. Upon returning they were very nice and allowed us to hang around. Mr Huff and I had some really fun football and horse racing conversations that day. I will never forget that gigantic championship ring he was wearing. Such sad, sad news to read this about him. :(
seahawkgal

Postby Sparrow Castle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:45 pm

seahawkgal wrote:Wow! So sad. I met Sam Huff at the 1992 Breeder's Cup @ Gulfstream park. He was a really nice guy. I believe he was connected with Saratoga Dew in the Distaff somehow. I had a 'walkaround' pass and could be by the seats where all the owners sat. Anyways, something happened to that horse in the race and the owners were fleeing their box seats to get to the barns. We just happened to be standing nearby when Sam Huff asked me and my friend to sit in their box till they got back. Upon returning they were very nice and allowed us to hang around. Mr Huff and I had some really fun football and horse racing conversations that day. I will never forget that gigantic championship ring he was wearing. Such sad, sad news to read this about him. :(

I feel the same way, Seahawkgal. While I never met him in person, it's great to hear your positive impressions of him. I always thought he did a lot of good for the sport of racing, as well as football. I think he owned part of Saratoga Dew. This is the first I heard he had problems beyond just getting old.

According to the follow-up article, the daughter and Holden agreed to let him come home to his Middleburg farm to live with Holden, a temporary resolution while they continue to work out his care long-term. If they can't agree, there will be a trial in March. I wish him all the best!
http://www.wusa9.com/news/local/leesburg/sam-huff-custody-battle-in-court/319495681
Sparrow Castle

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:43 pm

I'm literally beside myself that GaGa is doing the halftime show.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby luvsgeldings » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 pm

I agree Som!! heck I was thrilled when she sang the national anthem for the super bowl this year - so doing a whole halftime show next year.... terrific!!
luvsgeldings

Postby PJMIII » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:06 am

Eagles' Pederson and Wentz proving hard to beat

There were moments on Sunday when you looked at the scoreboard, and then at the field, and then at the scoreboard again, and you wondered whether the one really added up with the other.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... _beat.html
PJMIII

Postby Charlie » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:21 pm

I don't really follow football, not the way my co-workers but I do watch and root for the Saints and they are making me sad.
Charlie

Next

Return to Horsin' Around