The friggin' Olympics

BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:11 pm

One reason the Japanese athletes are doing so well may have to do with the fact that the Summer Olympics are going to be held in Japan in 2020. The country has probably put a lot of effort into grooming talented youngsters and improving their teams so that four years from now, they're really strong.
BlindLucky

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Admin wrote:That's a funny onion.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone (not really ;-), but ping pong shouldn't be an Olympic sport. You can tell these guys spend a lot of time in the gym. What's amusing are the frequent breaks and towel offs. I'm sure these guys are as spent at the end of their game as Phelps afte swimming two heats and a race in one day.
:lol:

There will be 5 new sports in the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo:
BASEBALL/SOFTBALL
KARATE
SKATEBOARD
SPORTS CLIMBING
SURFING

How do you have surfing in Tokyo?
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:44 pm

Could surfing be held in one of the islands that has a good surf break? Are there good waves off Okinawa?
Tessablue

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:53 pm

Equestrian at the Beijing Olympics was held in Hong Kong; it's not at all unusual for events to take place in venues separate from the main city.

Speaking of, no mention of Nick Skelton?? By far my favorite story of the games!
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:57 pm

The 58-year-old Briton who won the individual jumping gold? The dude with the legs flying up in the air when his horse went over the jumps? Yeah, that was cool. :D
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tessablue

Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:06 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The 58-year-old Briton who won the individual jumping gold? The dude with the legs flying up in the air when his horse went over the jumps/ Yeah, that was cool. :D
I remember how magnificently Nick Skelton rode for his team in 2012, only to finally finish fifth with a rail down on the last day of individual jumping. Add that to his age and various physical difficulties and it's just a wonderful story that he managed to get the gold this time- and on the same horse! Not to mention the fact that he had to go first in the jump-off; never an easy task. Big credit to Eric Lamaze too, who was absolutely spectacular all week on board a really wonderful mare.

Roger Yves-Bost (Bosty) was the rider with crazy form who won it for the French. My second-favorite story :D
tachyon

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:17 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Could surfing be held in one of the islands that has a good surf break? Are there good waves off Okinawa?
We don't know yet where surfing will be held.
But it won't be Okinawa whcih hasn't nominated itself.
Maybe either Chiba or Kanagawa, both near Tokyo.
lurkey mclurker

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:28 pm

tachyon wrote:
This is the first time Japanese sprinters get a silver medal in the Olympics.
And their 'Samurai pose' (you can see in the video below) is now very popular in Japan. :lol:

-- video of the men's 4x100m (from a Japanese broadcast)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RWr2KwBoIY
Pooh, the vid is not available/viewable in the US. : ( But yay for Japan! : )
tachyon

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:44 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:
tachyon wrote:
This is the first time Japanese sprinters get a silver medal in the Olympics.
And their 'Samurai pose' (you can see in the video below) is now very popular in Japan. :lol:

-- video of the men's 4x100m (from a Japanese broadcast)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RWr2KwBoIY
Pooh, the vid is not available/viewable in the US. : ( But yay for Japan! : )
Japan men's team's 'Samurai Pose'

I thought US women's team was very cute, too!!!
Della

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:30 pm

Tessablue wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:The 58-year-old Briton who won the individual jumping gold? The dude with the legs flying up in the air when his horse went over the jumps/ Yeah, that was cool. :D
I remember how magnificently Nick Skelton rode for his team in 2012, only to finally finish fifth with a rail down on the last day of individual jumping. Add that to his age and various physical difficulties and it's just a wonderful story that he managed to get the gold this time- and on the same horse! Not to mention the fact that he had to go first in the jump-off; never an easy task. Big credit to Eric Lamaze too, who was absolutely spectacular all week on board a really wonderful mare.

On top of all the injuries Nick Skelton has had to overcome (two broken cervical vertebra; hip replacement, etc) which necessitates his using that stepladder to mount his horse, Big Star also overcame two suspensory ligament injuries - one in front, and one hind - which held him out of major competitions for two years following the London Olympics in 2012. They did a phenomenal rehab job to get him back to Olympic competition, but Nick commented that final round was the first against the clock Big Star had jumped since coming back.

Truly an amazing journey for both horse and rider to made it to the gold medal spot atop the podium :)
Starine

Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:25 am

Right. Hard not to feel happy for Nick Skelton; he's been such an icon and as you said he and Big Star have both come back from serious injuries.

In other news, Ryan Lochte was dropped by all four of his sponsors for his antics in Brazil.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:12 am

I know Lochte is a dolt, but I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy. I had a feeling that the situation was actually scary for the guys. This article provides another take on the incident that seems to indicate that they weren't the villains that the Rio officials want to paint them as. Pretty much just drunk dumbasses.

Report: Rio police exaggerated their version of Ryan Lochte events, too
There is no evidence Ryan Lochte or his three U.S. swimming teammates ever entered — let alone damaged — a bathroom at the gas station where a late-night rest stop exploded into an international incident at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics last week, according to a USA Today report on Monday night.
In a press conference called to debunk Lochte’s claims of a robbery at gunpoint, Rio police chief Fernando Veloso painted the bathroom as a crime scene, claiming American swimmers Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and Jimmy Feigen, along with Lochte, broke a soap dispenser and mirror. Meanwhile, media outlets cited law enforcement officials who accused them of also breaking a bathroom door.
However, there is no such damage, and none of those items appear to have been replaced, per the USA Today report. Likewise, the newspaper reviewed extensive security footage from the Shell station, including a camera aimed at the restroom entrance, and the swimmers never entered the door.
Instead, the swimmers urinated on the backside of the gas station, and an intoxicated Lochte tore a “loosely attached” advertisement from an exterior wall, according to a police statement from Bentz and an eyewitness account to USA Today by Fernando Deluz — a disc jockey who translated the heated discussion between the American swimmers and the Portuguese-speaking security guards.
“If I hadn’t involved myself,” Deluz told the newspaper, adding that one guard had drawn his gun, “I thought — the police chief told me, ‘Man, if you hadn’t gone there in that moment, a tragedy could have occurred.”
Furthermore, the armed security guards indeed demanded payment from the Americans, per Deluz.
This latest report raises questions about the Rio police chief’s public portrayal of the U.S. swimmers as more vandals than victims, as well as his willingness to overlook actions taken by security guards, who were off-duty law enforcement officers. While it does not excuse them for public urination and tearing a poster off a wall, one can understand — considering the language barrier and level of intoxication — how Lochte & Co. thought they were robbed at gunpoint by men posing as police.
In other words, just because Lochte exaggerated claims to the “Today” show for effect on television doesn’t mean the swimmers willingly falsified a police report. Conger and Bentz were not charged with a crime for their roles in the incident, but Feigen donated $11,000 to charity in order to avoid charges and Lochte — home safely in the U.S. — still faces charges and the court of public opinion.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/lates ... 50255.html
luvsgeldings

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:41 pm

and I keep wondering about that payment the 'security' guards wanted from the American guys - payment?? -- isn't there another word for that??!!!
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:52 pm

Or the $11,000 (which Brazilian officials tried to boost to $46,000) that Jimmy Feigen had to pay in order to get his passport back and be allowed to leave the country? Yeah, I think that's called 'extortion.'
http://www.tmz.com/2016/08/24/u-s-swimm ... gs-ransom/
Team USA swimmer Jimmy Feigen says Brazilian officials tried to shake him down following the gas station incident in Rio ... demanding more than $46,000 to let him leave the country.
Feigen just spelled out the situation in a statement through his lawyer -- saying on the day he was scheduled to leave Rio -- hell broke loose at a Brazilian courthouse.
Feigen says he was given two options:
Option 1 -- Remain in Brazil while the police continued the investigation. "This process was estimated to take at least a month and I would be required to remain in Brazil."
Option 2 -- Pay a fine of $31,250 for the return of his passport and perform 15 days of community service.
Feigen says he decided both options were unreasonable and shot down both deals -- the prosecutor responded by raising the fine to $46,875!
Finally, Feigen says all parties agreed to a $10,800 fine which would be paid in 3 days. If not, the fine would be raised to $46k.
Feigen paid the next day and got the hell out of Dodge.
By the way, Feigen also says his group did NOT ever break into the gas station bathroom that night -- but they did "make the regrettable decision to urinate in the grass behind the building" because the bathroom was locked.

As more info comes out, I'm thinking that the Rio officials should have tried to settle this behind the scenes, with a whole lot less 'oh, woe is us...look how our reputation has been besmirched' outrage. Because the more I read, the more I'm sympathizing with Lochte and his companions. And I still think Lochte is a dolt, but he's no criminal.
Somnambulist

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:54 pm

A guy that looks like a frat boy is a d-bag and Brazil is corrupt!? No way! :D
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm seeing that Lochte could end up on Dancing With the Stars. :shock:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... the-stars/
Can't wait to see him Samba. :lol:
Spahny

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:35 pm

Nobody cares about swimming for 4 years. What a relief.