The friggin' Olympics

Starine

Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:58 pm

Really? No thread?

Impressed with swimmers Katinka Hosszu and, of course, the indomitable Katie Ledecky -- both of whom have already set records in Rio.

And I'm hearing a rumor that gymnast Laurie Hernandez is not being used in the all-around despite her breakout performance in the trials... is this true??
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Yes.
http://www.nj.com/olympics/index.ssf/20 ... ition.html

I've mainly been watching equestrian, which so far has been the dressage tests for the Three-Day competitors.
Boyd Martin's OTTB, Blackfoot Mystery, is clearly not a natural in the demanding discipline, but I look forward to watching the 17.2-hand gelding do what he does best...the cross-country section, which IIRC is tomorrow.
Also interested in leading rider William Fox-Pitt's mount, who is a stallion. That's almost unheard-of in eventing, where nearly all the horses are geldings, with a handful of mares. The commentators yesterday were making a big deal of how unusual...and how good...the sixteen-year-old entire is. Also mentioned that Chilli is 58% TB, with Northern Dancer and Secretariat (!) in his pedigree. I'd love to see a five-generation chart on Chilli, to see how close Secretariat is in his family. :D
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/ ... c-eventing
lurkey mclurker

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:09 pm

I've been watching the eventing dressage too : ) I missed William Fox-Pitt's ride (I'm sure I can catch it on YouTube later) but totally fell in love with the Mathieu Lemoine's gorgeous push-button young bay gelding Bartl. <3

It makes me itch to ride again. I was just doing training level but real life has been so crazycakes the past few years I haven't had any time... : (((((

So far I've seen a Russian men's gymnastics stream, Aussie commentators for men's archery (holy cow the Koreans and their bullseyes in the gold medal match O_o), a Russian stream for fencing (Cyrillic text onscreen) with French commentary, and yesterday's dressage was from Viasat so it had Swedish (or Danish?) commentary.

You may be interested to know that "Zimbabwe" sounds the same in Swedish/Danish as it does in English. :lol:
Kelly Ann

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:08 pm

There was also a scare at the Olympic Equestrian Center as a military bullet pierced the roof of the media tent and landed on the floor.

The incident occurred during the lunch break at the dressage event Saturday. The competition was not disrupted and nobody was hurt.

The bullet landed inches from one of the media tables at the end of the room where the press conferences are held, leaving a clear hole in the roof. An official statement is expected shortly.

The arena is located near a military compound.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national ... 20161.html
:shock:
Leapsandbounds

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:15 pm

Yep Hernandez was excluded from the all around. Gabby Douglas is in her spot because only Coach Karolyi picked her. She says Douglas always peaks at big performances. Made me mad because Hernandez deserved it big time. Oh well its the last year for Coach Karolyi.
lurkey mclurker

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:28 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Also mentioned that Chilli is 58% TB, with Northern Dancer and Secretariat (!) in his pedigree. I'd love to see a five-generation chart on Chilli, to see how close Secretariat is in his family. :D
4th generation back (? or 5th? if Chilli counts as the "first" generation?), according to the "stud card." :mrgreen: (Although they wrongly identify Northern Dancer as UK, rather than Canadian-bred :roll: )

http://gauntlett.me.uk/Chilli-Morning-S ... y-2011.pdf
Starine

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Exciting day in swimming, with UK's Peaty and USA's Ledecky both breaking their own world records. And the men's relay was very exciting, with US edging out France.

Also caught some of the gymnastics, and Aly Raisman and Simone Biles looked rock solid. Their landings were terrific. And young Madison Kocian is just fantastic on those uneven bars.

The only damper was a really scary fall earlier in the day by a female Dutch cyclist. She wasn't moving at all after the crash and I found out later she suffered a concussion and "minor" spinal fractures.
Last edited by Starine on Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spahny

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:17 pm

I thought the road cycling course was unsafe. The shadiness of the steep and windy downhill section guaranteed wet spots. But worse than that, those wet spot are very hard to see when traveling 30-40mph in those kinds of conditions.

Annemiek van Vleutenof was the likely winner of the women's event. She had a terrible accident that I think was caused by the course conditions. Her rear tire slipped very slightly on a wet spot she did not see and she went over on to a cement curb. She is in the hospital with a broken spine.

Too many crashes in both the men's and women's races. These athletes are very adept on their bikes. They live on them and can change their wardrobes while in the saddle.

Bad start for Rio.
Starine

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:30 pm

You may very well be right. There were a lot of crashes going downhill in both the men's and women's races.

Also adding:

Rio Highlights: Katie Ledecky, Michael Phelps Win Gold; Simone Biles Wows
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/20 ... gymnastics
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:02 am

And let's not forget a rowing team who capsized after striking a COUCH floating in Rio's lovely lake. Thank goodness it was just practice, but I also read that the sculling teams complained about how rough the waters were for their event, and one team capsized...had to be assisted back into their scull by a safety team.
Forry Cow How

Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:37 am

If I recall correctly, only two of them actually get to go to the all around and Gabby didn't make the cut. It will be Simon Biles and Aly Raisman.

Laurie Hernandez was only excluded from the uneven bars, but you had to compete on all four pieces of equipment to qualify for the all around.

The US Women's Gymnastics team is by far the best in the world right now.
Starine

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:42 am

Forry Cow How wrote:If I recall correctly, only two of them actually get to go to the all around and Gabby didn't make the cut. It will be Simon Biles and Aly Raisman.

Laurie Hernandez was only excluded from the uneven bars, but you had to compete on all four pieces of equipment to qualify for the all around.

Right. Did you also catch the interesting piece on the fall of the Romanian gymnastics dynasty?
lurkey mclurker

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:43 pm

On the cross country course, Lauren Keiffer & Veronica (USA) went down in a hard fall :(

The mare caught her front hoof on the corner of a sharp-angled skinny fence and landed hard on her side & shoulder. Rider was up right away, mare lay there for a bit but got up when asked & walked off the course w no obvious limp/distress. Hoping so hard that when the adrenaline wears off they're both okay. :(

ETA: and I had to turn it off. Pawel Spisak (Poland) & his horse Banderas went down as well, and he did NOT look okay walking afterwards. :( :( :(
Forry Cow How

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Starine wrote:
Forry Cow How wrote:If I recall correctly, only two of them actually get to go to the all around and Gabby didn't make the cut. It will be Simon Biles and Aly Raisman.

Right. Did you also catch the interesting piece on the fall of the Romanian gymnastics dynasty?
Yes, I saw that piece. I had not realized that had happened. This is the first Olympics I've really gotten to watch in a long time.
Forry Cow How

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:02 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:On the cross country course, Lauren Keiffer & Veronica (USA) went down in a hard fall :(

The mare caught her front hoof on the corner of a sharp-angled skinny fence and landed hard on her side & shoulder. Rider was up right away, mare lay there for a bit but got up when asked & walked off the course w no obvious limp/distress. Hoping so hard that when the adrenaline wears off they're both okay. :(

ETA: and I had to turn it off. Pawel Spisak (Poland) & his horse Banderas went down as well, and he did NOT look okay walking afterwards. :( :( :(
I think that was the horse that I thought looked like he was walking funny, too.
War Admiral

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:30 pm

I think the USA women's gymnastics team has a great chance to sweep all 6 gold medals.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
BlindLucky

Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:13 pm

How about an OTTB in the hunt at #6 for individual medals?

Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BaroqueAgain1

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:00 pm

There were some very brave performances from the horses today, but "Red" was gold for Boyd. :D
http://www.paulickreport.com/horse-care ... ntry-test/
I think William Fox-Pitt, who was leading after dressage, ended up in 6th or 7th after Chilli Morning had an uncharacteristic miss at one of the difficult "questions."
Got to see a replay of a nasty fall, one where the horse's body rolled partially over the fallen rider...who came to no harm because he was wearing one of those inflatable vests. Those things really work, even if you do end up looking like a multi-colored Michelin Man afterwards. :lol:
And, yes, the horse was OK too.
Starine

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:33 pm

I did not get to catch Phillip Dutton's ride today, but I did see Boyd Martin's trip on Blackfoot Mystery and they were terrific. I think only 3.2 in time faults; it was a pleasant surprise after Martin days earlier said of the course: "This course wouldn’t suit him [Blackfoot Mystery] much."
luvsgeldings

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:10 am

cannot wait to see how Blackfoot does today and so hoping he can medal - that would just be beautiful - wishing the best to our team today - and really hoping to hear Veronica is ok - worried about her after her fall yesterday - she lay there on the ground for a few minutes and it was very concerning - just hoping to hear she is doing ok.