Unearthing the secrets of New York's mass graves

Starine

Mon May 16, 2016 11:47 pm

Had to share this because it is the best piece of journalism I have read all year; painstakingly researched and certainly Pulitzer-worthy.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... iewed&_r=0
Forry Cow How

Tue May 17, 2016 8:04 am

Thank you for posting this. It was an eye-opening read. I'm sure there are other potter's fields around the US.
Somnambulist

Tue May 17, 2016 8:26 am

I've been fascinated by this for a few years, even since I saw some documentary about the islands surrounding NYC.

Access to get there is hard. It's a shame. I'd love to go.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Starine

Tue May 17, 2016 11:13 am

I couldn't stop thinking about this piece last night. It was enthralling, but also monumentally sad. Some people have made the argument that if you're dead, why would you care or would it matter to be buried in a potter's field.

But if someone has made proper arrangements and allotted funds for the burial service and location of their choice, is there any excuse for these people to have fallen through the cracks due to failures in the system? My heart also breaks for the family members who were never contacted and given a chance to claim the remains.
Catalina

Tue May 17, 2016 2:12 pm

Starine wrote:I couldn't stop thinking about this piece last night. It was enthralling, but also monumentally sad. Some people have made the argument that if you're dead, why would you care or would it matter to be buried in a potter's field.
Maybe it would be more the family and friends who would have problems, or the people knowing the family and friends. Most of us probably were raised with the tradition that a nice (fancy?/expensive?) funeral is a last show of respect for the deceased.