Page 47 of 48

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:30 pm
by greyhorse
I was wondering why Jaime didn't just ride out with the army. They'd be loyal to him over Cersei. One extra person is pretty useless in the war to come. That was a great episode. Had a lot of predictable clich├ęs, still, but also had some real character development and lore that previous action-based episodes were missing. Plus, it was almost movie length. :)

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:43 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
I thought the finale was an especially strong episode for the always wonderful Peter Dinklage. His scenes in the Dragon Pit and facing down Cersei in her own chambers may earn him another Emmy nomination, IMHO.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:35 am
by BaroqueAgain1
I watched CBS's new Star Trek: Discovery tonight and liked it a lot. Great special effects, good characters, with the extraordinary Doug Jones (who is a special effect all by himself ;)) in what looks to be a regular role.
So I'm pretty pissed that CBS is moving the rest of the series to its new streaming service exclusively. That means I can't watch it, and I have to wonder how many other potential viewers are going to be lost by the move.
I mean, aren't there more people using regular network TV than people who can stream a high-definition series online?
:evil:

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:32 pm
by Tessablue
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I watched CBS's new Star Trek: Discovery tonight and liked it a lot. Great special effects, good characters, with the extraordinary Doug Jones (who is a special effect all by himself ;)) in what looks to be a regular role.
So I'm pretty pissed that CBS is moving the rest of the series to its new streaming service exclusively. That means I can't watch it, and I have to wonder how many other potential viewers are going to be lost by the move.
I mean, aren't there more people using regular network TV than people who can stream a high-definition series online?
:evil:
I would 100% be watching it if it was on TV, especially because the first episode did have some promise. I shelled out for Twin Peaks but that was literally the only situation in which I would spend money on a television show... oh well, back to watching literally nothing I guess.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:56 pm
by canvasjockey
On Netflix we've found some post GoT rebound shows to binge... and we've kind of wandered down a Scandinavian road.

First we watched Norsemen, which is a Viking comedy (sort of Monty Python style through a Norwegian lens). They filmed it in both Norwegian and English, so you don't have to worry about subtitles and bonus... you get bonifide accents! It's actually really funny, and should have a second season coming out soon.

Then we started Last Kingdom, which is well made and entertaining. It's about a Saxon raised by Dane's (aka Vikings) in 9th pr 10th century (?) England, and about the creation of England as a cohesive nation - it's based on actual history. Again, I love that even though it's a BBC show, they've cast Scandinavian actors in all the Dane roles, so it really feels like a true culture clash.

Next we're trying Vikings and maybe Lilihammer.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:02 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
Well, I made it all the way through the two-hour premiere of The Inhumans.
Wouldn't do that again.
I'm so disappointed; did Marvel completely lose control of the production, the casting? The...everything?
The dialogue is dull, the music is pretentious, the effects are so last decade. It all just ended up feeling ponderous.
And who the hell thought it was a good idea to cast Iwan Rheon as Maximus? Yeah, the bad guy is Ramsey Bolton; a bit more civilized but still craving power and willing to murder to get it...even his own family. I want Crystal to feed him to Lockjaw.
There are a few bright spots with sort-of-interesting characters like Gorgon and Karnak, but will someone please tell Anson Mount (Black Bolt) that his only expression doesn't have to be that exaggerated pout? :roll:
sigh.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:11 pm
by canvasjockey
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Well, I made it all the way through the two-hour premiere of The Inhumans.
Wouldn't do that again.
I'm so disappointed; did Marvel completely lose control of the production, the casting? The...everything?
The dialogue is dull, the music is pretentious, the effects are so last decade. It all just ended up feeling ponderous.
And who the hell thought it was a good idea to cast Iwan Rheon as Maximus? Yeah, the bad guy is Ramsey Bolton; a bit more civilized but still craving power and willing to murder to get it...even his own family. I want Crystal to feed him to Lockjaw.
There are a few bright spots with sort-of-interesting characters like Gorgon and Karnak, but will someone please tell Anson Mount (Black Bolt) that his only expression doesn't have to be that exaggerated pout? :roll:
sigh.
I had a feeling Inhumans wouldn't be worth the time.

We finished Last Kingdom on Netflix, and it was awesome... a good post-GoT transition show. Hoping there will be a third season announced soon.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:18 pm
by Somnambulist
The Deuce.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:51 am
by Insane Crazy
My whole week is defined by getting to watch Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place. SO. GOOD.

I'm not usual a half hour comedy person, but these (B99 by the same folks as Parks & Rec, with The Good Place also created by one of them, Michael Schur) are just so much fun. I love them very much.

And Jane the Virgin comes back on Friday. Hooray!

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:52 pm
by starrydreamer
Insane Crazy wrote:My whole week is defined by getting to watch Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place. SO. GOOD.

I'm not usual a half hour comedy person, but these (B99 by the same folks as Parks & Rec, with The Good Place also created by one of them, Michael Schur) are just so much fun. I love them very much.

And Jane the Virgin comes back on Friday. Hooray!
Michael Schur was a writer on The Office too, wasn't he? I think he played Mose, Dwight's creepy cousin.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm
by Insane Crazy
starrydreamer wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:My whole week is defined by getting to watch Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place. SO. GOOD.

I'm not usual a half hour comedy person, but these (B99 by the same folks as Parks & Rec, with The Good Place also created by one of them, Michael Schur) are just so much fun. I love them very much.

And Jane the Virgin comes back on Friday. Hooray!
Michael Schur was a writer on The Office too, wasn't he? I think he played Mose, Dwight's creepy cousin.
Yep! He got P&R going as an Office "spin-off," but it obviously progressed from there. I love him. He is a Chaotic Good fellow with a keen eye for comedies with tons of heart. He's great at ensembles with lots of love for one another! Also, he's always bringing in more and more diversity, which is cool.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:52 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
The Shannara Chronicles are back tonight at 10, not on Freeform, but on Spike. It's magic, battles, gorgeous scenery and even prettier actors. :P

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:14 pm
by starrydreamer
Anyone else watching The Resident? It feels different than Grey's Anatomy, House, and ER. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it, but as long as Emily Vancamp and Matt Czuchry are on it, I'll watch.

Of course, I started watching it because ads for it kept coming up while I was catching up on X-Files.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:25 pm
by BaroqueAgain1
I've been watching and so far, so good. I like the cast; the veteran Bruce Greenwood as the egotistical head surgeon brings some depth to the show's sort-of bad guy. It's not surprising, considering how most people feel about health insurance, that the show has made the bean counters and up-coders who care more about the bottom line than patients' lives the real "bad guys." :P

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:38 pm
by starrydreamer
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I've been watching and so far, so good. I like the cast; the veteran Bruce Greenwood as the egotistical head surgeon brings some depth to the show's sort-of bad guy. It's not surprising, considering how most people feel about health insurance, that the show has made the bean counters and up-coders who care more about the bottom line than patients' lives the real "bad guys." :P
Bwahaha right? This show has been reading my mind. :lol: :lol:

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:24 am
by Ballerina
I've been watching The Assassination of Gianni Versace series on FX satellite channel. OMG! Tonight was the 3rd episode. I think there are 6. Correction - 9.

I remember it being bad. I just never imagined how bad.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:52 am
by BaroqueAgain1
I haven't watched it...and now I'm kind of regretting not watching. :oops: All the reviews I've read have praised it.
I don't think I want to start in the middle of the series. Maybe FX will rerun it sometime.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:05 am
by Ballerina
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I haven't watched it...and now I'm kind of regretting not watching. :oops: All the reviews I've read have praised it.
I don't think I want to start in the middle of the series. Maybe FX will rerun it sometime.
They're playing previous episodes before a new one starts. Last night was episode 3. It's every Wednesday ight on FX 10 p.m. I think they're also playing them during the week.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:47 am
by serenassong
You can also watch on the FX app- I have been doing that and for some other shows as well.

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:55 pm
by stark
Scandalous
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... areer.html

Part 5 of 7 was on Sunday night, very interesting presentation.
Should probably be shown on the History channel to attract a wider audience.