TV Discussion Thread

Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:18 am

Squally wrote: Huh. Interesting. Could be. My question is, for the TV show, how much is Martin in charge? Cause for the TV show I could see them going with Jon. Or Dany. I could see it differently in the books. Assuming he ever finishes them. Which I really question, at this point.
Regarding Jamie, I seriously don't see him making it all the way through. Especially book Jamie. He's riding such a good redemption story, they never have good endings <G>
He won't finish it them I think. I'm fine with that. They really went off the rails on the 4th and 5th books.

I don't think he had a clue how to wrap up everything. I know he's got a hand in how this show turns out but you can tell the lack of his thinking in this season; everything feels rushed and a little Hollywood-ish. Which is fine. He created one huge, complicated world with a lot of stories. He wouldn't be the first author in the genre to have a difficult time wrapping it up.

I'm still waiting for the 3rd Kingkiller book. 10 years later.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm pretty sure Martin has almost nothing to do with the show anymore, and hasn't since around season 3. Last I checked he was sort of distancing himself from the whole endeavor, and I can't blame him. A lot of the character nuance he worked for just isn't there anymore.

I loved the show, read all the books, loved the books, then turned on the show around season 3/4 so now I'm basically trapped in hell because everyone watches the show and the books might never be finished. It's all really bizarre to me because people used to make fun of me and call me a nerd for holding viewing parties during season 2, now everyone watches it and people tend to get really mad at me if I so much as mention my discontent with it... just can't win I guess.

anyways, my life is just the intervals between Twin Peaks episodes.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Tessablue wrote:I loved the show, read all the books, loved the books, then turned on the show around season 3/4 so now I'm basically trapped in hell because everyone watches the show and the books might never be finished. It's all really bizarre to me because people used to make fun of me and call me a nerd for holding viewing parties during season 2, now everyone watches it and people tend to get really mad at me if I so much as mention my discontent with it... just can't win I guess.
Being a nerd has come an incredibly long way. If I had half a penny for all the things I liked growing up loving that I was crucified by my peers for loving that I could retire.

Sigh.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote:I loved the show, read all the books, loved the books, then turned on the show around season 3/4 so now I'm basically trapped in hell because everyone watches the show and the books might never be finished. It's all really bizarre to me because people used to make fun of me and call me a nerd for holding viewing parties during season 2, now everyone watches it and people tend to get really mad at me if I so much as mention my discontent with it... just can't win I guess.
Being a nerd has come an incredibly long way. If I had half a penny for all the things I liked growing up loving that I was crucified by my peers for loving that I could retire.

Sigh.
Right? Like don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled a fantasy series has attracted this much popular attention! I just... didn't really anticipate that it would be like this.
sweettalk
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 pm

princess shireen's fate was his idea from what i understand.
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:25 pm

sweettalk wrote:princess shireen's fate was his idea from what i understand.
From what I recall, that was sort of the start of the tension between them- they tried to temper the outrage by saying that it was Martin's idea, Martin wrote a super vague blog post that kind of accused them of making the decision without the proper story context... and from then they didn't really discuss each other much. But I think he's involved with all of the spinoffs they are making now so clearly they still have a decent working relationship.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Tessablue wrote:
sweettalk wrote:princess shireen's fate was his idea from what i understand.
From what I recall, that was sort of the start of the tension between them- they tried to temper the outrage by saying that it was Martin's idea, Martin wrote a super vague blog post that kind of accused them of making the decision without the proper story context... and from then they didn't really discuss each other much. But I think he's involved with all of the spinoffs they are making now so clearly they still have a decent working relationship.
The spinoffs are so ridiculous. Just focus on Westworld.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9541
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:45 pm

The spinoffs are so ridiculous.

I don't know. Personally, I'd love to see them tackle The Doom of Valyria. :mrgreen:
Robert's Rebellion, not so much. Hard to get hooked when you know how the stories for most of those characters end. :P
I noticed that HBO has been running all the Westworld episodes lately. Does the Cowboys & Androids series start as soon as GoT ends?
sweettalk
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:41 pm

i've seen it twice now, and twice i have not watched that scene, and twice i've cried my eyes out.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9541
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:35 am

When "IT" happened, I knew what was coming in that last scene. :shock: Frack, things just got complicated for our heroes.
sweettalk
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:05 am

i'm not emotionally stable enough to discuss THE THING too well, so let's talk about the biggest issue.

INC SPOILERS, YOU BEEN WARNED
.
.
.
.
.
.
So, gendry ran to the wall, the raven got to dany, and dany got to their EXACT spot in... a day? a week? a month? how long were they there without food, in the freezing cold? did that all happen over night? and benjen just conveniently shows up for 20 sec to save jon who miraculously staved off hypothermia, and the horse got him back to the wall in... what, half the time it took gendry because horses are faster, right? how long were they waiting for jon at the wall? do they all have magic portals or ??? this episode was a mess, lol.

but tormund and the hound talking abt brienne was the best part of anything, ever.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:32 am

The writing has been horrible this season. Thankfully it's almost over.

It's just turned into a Michael Bay movie.

All these characters are stupid.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:26 am

Somnambulist wrote:The writing has been horrible this season. Thankfully it's almost over.

It's just turned into a Michael Bay movie.

All these characters are stupid.
Yet you still watch. So... :lol:

Can we talk about Defenders?
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:30 am

You can watch something and moderately enjoy it and see it for what it is. I've loved the series up until this season, but they're throwing caution to the wind. No timing. Nothing makes sense. The books were smart and subtle and surprising. It's very predictable now. Some of that comes with wrapping up story lines but I feel like this writing is for the sheeple audience, not for the majority of the people who started watching/reading it.

There has been 0 character development with Sansa and Arya. Why would Jon Snow ever decide to do something as dumb as he did (in terms of going to the face the night army to take one of them back)? The entire episode felt extremely out of character for him. It's bad writing.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:51 am

Somnambulist wrote:You can watch something and moderately enjoy it and see it for what it is. I've loved the series up until this season, but they're throwing caution to the wind. No timing. Nothing makes sense. The books were smart and subtle and surprising. It's very predictable now. Some of that comes with wrapping up story lines but I feel like this writing is for the sheeple audience, not for the majority of the people who started watching/reading it.

There has been 0 character development with Sansa and Arya. Why would Jon Snow ever decide to do something as dumb as he did (in terms of going to the face the night army to take one of them back)? The entire episode felt extremely out of character for him. It's bad writing.
No, no. I'm the same way. I stopped watching at the end of the first season after reading the books (I haven't finished the last one though) but I kept tabs on the show because I was curious. And now that the end is very much in sight, I'm back to watching. And not because I think the show writing is outstanding. :lol:

I read one of the chapters for the next book that Martin posted - the Sansa one - and Martin was clearly going a different direction than her being married off to Bolton. The books did a much better job of making Littlefinger multi-dimensional. If Martin ever finishes the next book, which I'm uncertain of at this point, I will read it just to follow Sansa's storyline. She's being wasted on the show, I think.
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:03 am

Has anyone else read the frikidoctor/lads spoilers and know what's going to happen next episode?
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:00 pm

bare it all wrote:Has anyone else read the frikidoctor/lads spoilers and know what's going to happen next episode?
I don't think it was ever leaked, but I appear to uhm. Have read some article about it and didn't realize at the time it was a spoiler for everything this season.

Said article was dead on so I'm relatively positive this will be accurate.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
sweettalk
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:08 pm

bare it all wrote:Has anyone else read the frikidoctor/lads spoilers and know what's going to happen next episode?
assuming it's accurate, yes. Looking forward to two particular parts.
User avatar
bare it all
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:21 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:34 pm

sweettalk wrote:
bare it all wrote:Has anyone else read the frikidoctor/lads spoilers and know what's going to happen next episode?
assuming it's accurate, yes. Looking forward to two particular parts.
Yeah, everything I read where they had laid out the season has been almost spot on, so I'm hyped. :lol:
sweettalk
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:47 pm

won't quiiiiiite make up for last night but it'll be pretty close, so I'll take it :twisted:
Post Reply