TV Discussion Thread

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby Somnambulist » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:18 am

Squally wrote:Huh. Interesting. Could be. My question is, for the TV show, how much is Martin in charge? Cause for the TV show I could see them going with Jon. Or Dany. I could see it differently in the books. Assuming he ever finishes them. Which I really question, at this point.
Regarding Jamie, I seriously don't see him making it all the way through. Especially book Jamie. He's riding such a good redemption story, they never have good endings <G>

He won't finish it them I think. I'm fine with that. They really went off the rails on the 4th and 5th books.

I don't think he had a clue how to wrap up everything. I know he's got a hand in how this show turns out but you can tell the lack of his thinking in this season; everything feels rushed and a little Hollywood-ish. Which is fine. He created one huge, complicated world with a lot of stories. He wouldn't be the first author in the genre to have a difficult time wrapping it up.

I'm still waiting for the 3rd Kingkiller book. 10 years later.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Tessablue » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm pretty sure Martin has almost nothing to do with the show anymore, and hasn't since around season 3. Last I checked he was sort of distancing himself from the whole endeavor, and I can't blame him. A lot of the character nuance he worked for just isn't there anymore.

I loved the show, read all the books, loved the books, then turned on the show around season 3/4 so now I'm basically trapped in hell because everyone watches the show and the books might never be finished. It's all really bizarre to me because people used to make fun of me and call me a nerd for holding viewing parties during season 2, now everyone watches it and people tend to get really mad at me if I so much as mention my discontent with it... just can't win I guess.

anyways, my life is just the intervals between Twin Peaks episodes.
Tessablue

Postby Somnambulist » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Tessablue wrote:I loved the show, read all the books, loved the books, then turned on the show around season 3/4 so now I'm basically trapped in hell because everyone watches the show and the books might never be finished. It's all really bizarre to me because people used to make fun of me and call me a nerd for holding viewing parties during season 2, now everyone watches it and people tend to get really mad at me if I so much as mention my discontent with it... just can't win I guess.

Being a nerd has come an incredibly long way. If I had half a penny for all the things I liked growing up loving that I was crucified by my peers for loving that I could retire.

Sigh.
Somnambulist

Postby Tessablue » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote:I loved the show, read all the books, loved the books, then turned on the show around season 3/4 so now I'm basically trapped in hell because everyone watches the show and the books might never be finished. It's all really bizarre to me because people used to make fun of me and call me a nerd for holding viewing parties during season 2, now everyone watches it and people tend to get really mad at me if I so much as mention my discontent with it... just can't win I guess.

Being a nerd has come an incredibly long way. If I had half a penny for all the things I liked growing up loving that I was crucified by my peers for loving that I could retire.

Sigh.

Right? Like don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled a fantasy series has attracted this much popular attention! I just... didn't really anticipate that it would be like this.
Tessablue

Postby sweettalk » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:52 pm

princess shireen's fate was his idea from what i understand.
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
sweettalk

Postby Tessablue » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:25 pm

sweettalk wrote:princess shireen's fate was his idea from what i understand.

From what I recall, that was sort of the start of the tension between them- they tried to temper the outrage by saying that it was Martin's idea, Martin wrote a super vague blog post that kind of accused them of making the decision without the proper story context... and from then they didn't really discuss each other much. But I think he's involved with all of the spinoffs they are making now so clearly they still have a decent working relationship.
Tessablue

Postby Somnambulist » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Tessablue wrote:
sweettalk wrote:princess shireen's fate was his idea from what i understand.

From what I recall, that was sort of the start of the tension between them- they tried to temper the outrage by saying that it was Martin's idea, Martin wrote a super vague blog post that kind of accused them of making the decision without the proper story context... and from then they didn't really discuss each other much. But I think he's involved with all of the spinoffs they are making now so clearly they still have a decent working relationship.

The spinoffs are so ridiculous. Just focus on Westworld.
Somnambulist

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:45 pm

The spinoffs are so ridiculous.

I don't know. Personally, I'd love to see them tackle The Doom of Valyria. :mrgreen:
Robert's Rebellion, not so much. Hard to get hooked when you know how the stories for most of those characters end. :P
I noticed that HBO has been running all the Westworld episodes lately. Does the Cowboys & Androids series start as soon as GoT ends?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby sweettalk » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:41 pm

i've seen it twice now, and twice i have not watched that scene, and twice i've cried my eyes out.
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
sweettalk

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:35 am

When "IT" happened, I knew what was coming in that last scene. :shock: Frack, things just got complicated for our heroes.
BaroqueAgain1

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around