TV Discussion Thread

ThreeMustangs

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:15 pm

BlindLucky wrote:The Broadchurch finale is tonight. I'm among the dorky few awaiting the reveal of Danny's killer.
Me, too. Got the DVR set to record it, but might have to watch it live.
serenassong

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:54 am

I sit here and patiently wait for the second season of Bate Motel to begin. I may have to watch Breaking Bad from the beginning to tide me over, everyone tells me it's crazy good.

As a aside, I have been going back and watching old episodes of Dark Shadows in order since they are available on the internet. Lots of fun there.

I do watch the following on a regular basis

Chopped
Pawn Stars
Counting Cars
Big Bang Theory
Ink Master
American Pickers
Storage Wars- Texas- Ricky and Bubba crack me up!
Airplane Repo- it's insane what they have to go thru to grab a plane.
Restaurant Stakeout

I'm sure there are more, but that's what comes to me right away.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
pointgivenfan

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:22 am

serenassong wrote:I sit here and patiently wait for the second season of Bate Motel to begin. I may have to watch Breaking Bad from the beginning to tide me over, everyone tells me it's crazy good.
Have to sit around until 2014.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
/headdesk
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
BlindLucky

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:47 am

I'm giving a chance to these pilots this season. Can you tell that I have no social life? :D

Sept 16: Sleepy Hollow, Fox (loved it!)
Sept 24: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., ABC (definitely a keeper)
Oct 3: The Originals, CW (spinoff of my guilty pleasure, Vampire Diaries)
Oct 6: Witches of East End, Lifetime (based on the novel and partially filmed in NC--woohoo)
Oct 9: The Tomorrow People, CW (about the fourth reincarnation of this show about humans evolving into something like X-Men)
Oct 9: American Horror Story: Coven, FX
Oct 10: Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, ABC (have to give the spinoff a try)
Oct 17: Reign, CW (about the young Mary, Queen of Scots)
Oct 25: Dracula, NBC
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Life At Zen

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:22 pm

The Big Bang Theory premieres tonight!
A R R O G A T E
Paradise Woods, Lady Eli, Songbird, Ziconic
Gormley, Royal Mo, Shaman Ghost, Constellation

Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Carotene

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:21 pm

Praire Bayou - did you like Criminal Minds last night? I was a touch grossed out at one bit, and when Reid figured out what was going on, it seemed like quite a stretch even for him! Other than that, it was fine...have had better and worse. Hotch is starting to look old. :( Rossi could use a haircut and, unfortunately, Blake is still around looking as disheveled as ever. Ha! Oh well, they're back! :)

Tonight - Big Bang. I had started watching Vampire Diaries when it started, but lost a lot of interest once Elena was turned. If anyone watches the Originals, let me know if it's less annoying and maybe I'll tune in lol!

Oh, and I watched the last episode of Arrow from last year and it reminded me of why I had started watching. Think I'll try to catch that this season too. The lead actor was at Fan Expo and was super nice...and CDN..woot, eh? :D

Jenn
Formerly Play the King
serenassong

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:22 pm

pointgivenfan wrote:
serenassong wrote:I sit here and patiently wait for the second season of Bate Motel to begin. I may have to watch Breaking Bad from the beginning to tide me over, everyone tells me it's crazy good.
Have to sit around until 2014.
Ain't nobody got time for that.
/headdesk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh7UgAprdpM
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Catalina

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Just heard that Warehouse 13 is going to have an abbreviated last season in 2014. Rats, I liked that one... :cry:
BlindLucky

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Catalina wrote:Just heard that Warehouse 13 is going to have an abbreviated last season in 2014. Rats, I liked that one... :cry:
Yeah, SyFy probably needs to make room for more wrestling and Sharknado sequels :roll:

On the HBO front, next season will be the last for True Blood, too.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:36 pm

I've been a True Blood fan from the beginning, but I'm not surprised that the show is wrapping up. You kind of have a built-in expiration date when you write a story around immortal characters...and then your leads start looking older. Steven Moyer, especially, looks less and less "ageless" all the time. :P
Also, if Alexander Skarsgard were leaving, the show loses a lot of appeal. His character, the charismatic and honorable Viking prince Eric, may have been offed in the last episode. Although, I have read an interview with a True Blood showrunner who guaranteed that Eric is back for this season.
Prairie Bayou

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:12 pm

Carotene wrote:Praire Bayou - did you like Criminal Minds last night? I was a touch grossed out at one bit, and when Reid figured out what was going on, it seemed like quite a stretch even for him! Other than that, it was fine...have had better and worse. Hotch is starting to look old. :( Rossi could use a haircut and, unfortunately, Blake is still around looking as disheveled as ever. Ha! Oh well, they're back! :)

Tonight - Big Bang. I had started watching Vampire Diaries when it started, but lost a lot of interest once Elena was turned. If anyone watches the Originals, let me know if it's less annoying and maybe I'll tune in lol!

Oh, and I watched the last episode of Arrow from last year and it reminded me of why I had started watching. Think I'll try to catch that this season too. The lead actor was at Fan Expo and was super nice...and CDN..woot, eh? :D

Jenn
I loved last night's CM episode!!! A girl at work came in and was totally grossed out by it. My cousin works for the FBI and has told me that you would be surprised to know what is actually out there. She can't elaborate and I really would rather not know. It will be interesting next week to see where it goes with the unsubs. They have never done an episode like this so I'm eager to find out. I honestly miss Prentiss a lot. I follow Paget Brewster on Twitter and she is still very much a part of CM with her tweets but I don't like Blake. She reminds me way too much of a female Reid. Reid is my favorite character. I think that with all the stress Hotch goes through who wouldn't look old? LOLOLOL

Can't wait for The Big Bang Theory! I have every season on DVD. It is by far the funniest show on TV! So happy Jim Parsons won another Emmy the other night!!!! It will be interesting to see how Raj is this season since he can now talk to women.

I like TVD. Mostly because of Jeremy and Damon. I have never cared for Elena and I still don't. When they introduced Klaus and his kin it became a lot more interesting. I will watch The Originals. I think it will be better than TVD except it won't have Damon. ;D

Arrow is awesome!!! I never watched Smallville but I am a comic fan and Stephen Amell is gorgeous!!! His cousin is on the new show The Tomorrow People airing just after Arrow so I will check that out as well.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Tessablue

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:18 am

I watched Twin Peaks and now I'm sad because nothing on TV is as good. Only thing that comes close for me is Hannibal, which isn't coming back until forever :(
Carotene

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:54 pm

Oooh, Praire Bayou...cousin in the FBI. For some reason, that made me remember a phase back when I was in my early 20s. I would only date security guys at this one bar I went to b/c they looked like agents. That was deep into my X-Files addiction. I think I only dated two before I realized it wasn't really solid ground to build anything decent on lol!

Yeah, the end totally got me and I've been trying to play it out in my head...is it Wed yet? Ugh, Blake. Took me the entire season last year to even get her name right. Maybe the fans should petition to get her out too like we did to get JJ back. Ha! True, maybe once he makes the decision about Strauss' job, he'll young up again. :)

Big Bang was good...I'm wondering if I'm done with it or they do this on purpose, but sometimes Sheldon gets on my nerves with his social naivete. I liked the second part the best & was glad Lucy was gone. Wonder if Raj and the HR lady will become anything... :)

MMMmmmm...Damon. :)

I thought I heard they say the last name Amnell for the Tomorrow People! Cool! Looks like we will be continuing to compare notes next week! lol!

Jenn
Formerly Play the King
Ballerina

Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:37 pm

I'm enjoying Project Runway this new season.
Prairie Bayou

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:33 am

Carotene wrote: Big Bang was good...I'm wondering if I'm done with it or they do this on purpose, but sometimes Sheldon gets on my nerves with his social naivete. I liked the second part the best & was glad Lucy was gone. Wonder if Raj and the HR lady will become anything... :)

MMMmmmm...Damon. :)

I thought I heard they say the last name Amnell for the Tomorrow People! Cool! Looks like we will be continuing to compare notes next week! lol!

Jenn
I've been around people like Sheldon. Sometimes they just don't get it. Sarcasm is totally lost on them at times. I never liked Lucy. The chemistry between her and Raj was odd. It just didn't mesh. The second episode was my favorite as well. The part with Raj and Howard was classic. I laughed sooooo hard over that.

We will certainly be discussing next weeks episodes!!!
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
ThreeMustangs

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Ballerina wrote:I'm enjoying Project Runway this new season.
I really like the "Closer Look" inspection and Tim's greater involvement this season.

I don't think this season's designers have the same level of talent as some of the previous seasons. No Christians or Mondos here. Bradon is my favorite this year. Justin is a sweetheart, but he's a little out of his depth.

What the heck was Kate thinking with this week's dress? It was a train wreck. Totally unlike her. Dom's dress was amazing. I was happy to see her win.
Prairie Bayou

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Is anyone else watching The White Queen?
Catalina

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:Is anyone else watching The White Queen?
So tell me more. The only reason I so far have avoided it is that I have read one of the other books in the series (The Red Queen, I think) and absolutely disliked the writing style. However, I can see where it may make an interesting TV series.
Prairie Bayou

Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:53 pm

Well I'm glad you told me about the book before I decided to read them. The series is good IMO. It's a mini series so this is it. I had no idea who any of the actors with the exception of a few I've seen before but don't know by name. What I found interesting is that I started off liking some people and now that the series is coming to an end see a totally different side to some of them. For me it's nice to see flaws in characters that are fictional (well they are based on real people) because in life you can't love everything about a person.

They had to combine the books (The White Queen, The Red Queen, and The Kingmaker's Daughter) for the series. I'm not sure how the books are written but I thought they were from the character's point of view of the same events. Though I may be wrong on that. All I know is I'm glad I didn't live back then. You just can't trust anyone...
Catalina

Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:34 pm

Yes, the books are written from the character's point of view, so the other ones quite possibly are done different from the Red Queen. It's an interesting period of English history.

If you're looking for a very readable English history read. try the "Brothers of Gwynedd" quartet by Edith Pargeter. More on you can't trust anyone.

Best read in the correct sequence, IMO. I have them in one very thick paperback volume, but in case they are also done separately:

Sunrise in the West
The Dragon at Noonday
The Hounds of Sunset
Afterglow and Nightfall