TV Discussion Thread

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby greyhorse » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:30 pm

I was wondering why Jaime didn't just ride out with the army. They'd be loyal to him over Cersei. One extra person is pretty useless in the war to come. That was a great episode. Had a lot of predictable clichés, still, but also had some real character development and lore that previous action-based episodes were missing. Plus, it was almost movie length. :)
greyhorse
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:43 pm

I thought the finale was an especially strong episode for the always wonderful Peter Dinklage. His scenes in the Dragon Pit and facing down Cersei in her own chambers may earn him another Emmy nomination, IMHO.
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8107
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:35 am

I watched CBS's new Star Trek: Discovery tonight and liked it a lot. Great special effects, good characters, with the extraordinary Doug Jones (who is a special effect all by himself ;)) in what looks to be a regular role.
So I'm pretty pissed that CBS is moving the rest of the series to its new streaming service exclusively. That means I can't watch it, and I have to wonder how many other potential viewers are going to be lost by the move.
I mean, aren't there more people using regular network TV than people who can stream a high-definition series online?
:evil:
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8107
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby Tessablue » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:32 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I watched CBS's new Star Trek: Discovery tonight and liked it a lot. Great special effects, good characters, with the extraordinary Doug Jones (who is a special effect all by himself ;)) in what looks to be a regular role.
So I'm pretty pissed that CBS is moving the rest of the series to its new streaming service exclusively. That means I can't watch it, and I have to wonder how many other potential viewers are going to be lost by the move.
I mean, aren't there more people using regular network TV than people who can stream a high-definition series online?
:evil:

I would 100% be watching it if it was on TV, especially because the first episode did have some promise. I shelled out for Twin Peaks but that was literally the only situation in which I would spend money on a television show... oh well, back to watching literally nothing I guess.
Tessablue
 
Posts: 3024
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby canvasjockey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:56 pm

On Netflix we've found some post GoT rebound shows to binge... and we've kind of wandered down a Scandinavian road.

First we watched Norsemen, which is a Viking comedy (sort of Monty Python style through a Norwegian lens). They filmed it in both Norwegian and English, so you don't have to worry about subtitles and bonus... you get bonifide accents! It's actually really funny, and should have a second season coming out soon.

Then we started Last Kingdom, which is well made and entertaining. It's about a Saxon raised by Dane's (aka Vikings) in 9th pr 10th century (?) England, and about the creation of England as a cohesive nation - it's based on actual history. Again, I love that even though it's a BBC show, they've cast Scandinavian actors in all the Dane roles, so it really feels like a true culture clash.

Next we're trying Vikings and maybe Lilihammer.
Carole ~ Equine Artist
Website/Blog - Facebook - Prints and Originals on Etsy & Fine Art America
Sign up for my Newsletter!

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people." - W. C. Fields</div>
User avatar
canvasjockey
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:09 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Well, I made it all the way through the two-hour premiere of The Inhumans.
Wouldn't do that again.
I'm so disappointed; did Marvel completely lose control of the production, the casting? The...everything?
The dialogue is dull, the music is pretentious, the effects are so last decade. It all just ended up feeling ponderous.
And who the hell thought it was a good idea to cast Iwan Rheon as Maximus? Yeah, the bad guy is Ramsey Bolton; a bit more civilized but still craving power and willing to murder to get it...even his own family. I want Crystal to feed him to Lockjaw.
There are a few bright spots with sort-of-interesting characters like Gorgon and Karnak, but will someone please tell Anson Mount (Black Bolt) that his only expression doesn't have to be that exaggerated pout? :roll:
sigh.
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8107
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby canvasjockey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:11 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Well, I made it all the way through the two-hour premiere of The Inhumans.
Wouldn't do that again.
I'm so disappointed; did Marvel completely lose control of the production, the casting? The...everything?
The dialogue is dull, the music is pretentious, the effects are so last decade. It all just ended up feeling ponderous.
And who the hell thought it was a good idea to cast Iwan Rheon as Maximus? Yeah, the bad guy is Ramsey Bolton; a bit more civilized but still craving power and willing to murder to get it...even his own family. I want Crystal to feed him to Lockjaw.
There are a few bright spots with sort-of-interesting characters like Gorgon and Karnak, but will someone please tell Anson Mount (Black Bolt) that his only expression doesn't have to be that exaggerated pout? :roll:
sigh.
I had a feeling Inhumans wouldn't be worth the time.

We finished Last Kingdom on Netflix, and it was awesome... a good post-GoT transition show. Hoping there will be a third season announced soon.
Carole ~ Equine Artist
Website/Blog - Facebook - Prints and Originals on Etsy & Fine Art America
Sign up for my Newsletter!

"Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people." - W. C. Fields</div>
User avatar
canvasjockey
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:09 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby Somnambulist » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:18 pm

The Deuce.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6978
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby Insane Crazy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:51 am

My whole week is defined by getting to watch Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place. SO. GOOD.

I'm not usual a half hour comedy person, but these (B99 by the same folks as Parks & Rec, with The Good Place also created by one of them, Michael Schur) are just so much fun. I love them very much.

And Jane the Virgin comes back on Friday. Hooray!
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
User avatar
Insane Crazy
 
Posts: 3015
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Re: TV Discussion Thread

Postby starrydreamer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:My whole week is defined by getting to watch Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place. SO. GOOD.

I'm not usual a half hour comedy person, but these (B99 by the same folks as Parks & Rec, with The Good Place also created by one of them, Michael Schur) are just so much fun. I love them very much.

And Jane the Virgin comes back on Friday. Hooray!


Michael Schur was a writer on The Office too, wasn't he? I think he played Mose, Dwight's creepy cousin.
User avatar
starrydreamer
 
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests