TV Discussion Thread

Sparrow Castle

Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:39 pm

Blackhawks broadcaster Eddie Olczyk is cancer-free: ‘We beat this thing’
Eddie Olczyk finished his chemotherapy on Feb. 21. Then he had to wait nearly six weeks for his final scans to determine if the cancer was indeed gone.

“I don’t know what those scans are going to say and I’m scared still,” he said on March 2. “What will they say? What are they going to tell me?”

Well, because of emergency hernia surgery, Olczyk had his scans early — and he got the news he and so many in the hockey world had been waiting for. He’s cancer-free.

“I’ve had enough crying to last me a lifetime,” Olczyk said on NBC Sports Chicago on Thursday night. “I got the call on March 14 at 5:07 p.m. letting me know my scans were clear. And I never heard a better phrase in my life. I’m now 10 days on with the rest of my life.”
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/bla ... thing/amp/
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:14 am

Good for Eddie.
It's nice to get some good news after the last few days, when it seemed bad news was on repeat, repeat, repeat.... :(
Prairie Bayou

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:12 am

Any The Walking Dead fans here?
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
stark

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:31 pm

Interesting survey @ MSN today with over 100,000 responses.....

Which network do you watch most?

Netflix (36 Emmy nominations)
HBO (35 Emmy nominations)
FX (24 Emmy nominations)
I don't watch any of these

23%.... Netflix (36 Emmy nominations)
8%.... HBO (35 Emmy nominations)
8%.... FX (24 Emmy nominations)
61%.... I don't watch any of these
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:59 pm

I can understand a low % for HBO, since it's by subscription and not available to everyone. Guess that would be true of Netflix, too. I know I can't watch Netflix (unfortunately, because it does have stuff I'd like to watch) because of my not-wonderful download speeds, as well as the cost.
FX is a standard cable channel, but I wonder how many people regularly check its programming? It's really just been in recent years that it's developed some quality original programming.
sweettalk

Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:33 am

For those who watch GoT (also, don't read if you aren't caught up);
Does Dany actually love her dragons? Before you say "Duh, yes, you stupid onion peel!" let me present you with some things I've noticed.

001] She doesn't keep a terribly close watch over them, or make sure they're particularly well guarded. Subsequently, they're stolen by the dudes who eat too many blueberries. You'd think something as precious as your "children" would garner them a little tighter security?
002] When she does finally get to them, there's no reaction of this huge relief washing over her, she doesn't check them over to make sure they're ok. Just, "Oh, rad, found 'em."
003] Drogon gets himself a tasty fishy, then goes to Dany for some affection. Jorah's all "Hot damn, they're growin' like weeds!" and Dany, despite caressing Drogon's face, is all "Yeah but uh, maybe they can hurry the fXXk up?" She really wants her damn war machines, I guess.
004] When she pretends to trade Drogon for the Unsullied, she makes no attempt to even pretend like it's hard for her to say goodbye, which should have been a huge red flag that something was wrong. The Mother of Dragons wouldn't be emotionless handing over her child, and arguing "only one" isn't nearly enough to make you think "Man, what a hard decision, she must really be serious!" Had she made a point of petting him, saying goodbye, it would have been significantly more believable... and she couldn't even do that.
005] Drogon lays on her lap, gets pets. Then there's a food fight. WHY on God's green earth does she think trying to pet Drogon and soothe him is a good idea? Does she know anything about them at all? Food aggression should be a given seeing as she previously used it as a display of their power by tossing a piece of food for them to fight over.
006] I understand why she locked up Viserion and Rhaegal. However, she lured them in, chained them up, and bailed. No petting, coddling, soothing. Sure, she was teary eyed, but looking back sadly doesn't do much to comfort your crying children When she returns later on, They don't rush to greet her, and instead react aggressively (also suggesting she doesn't make a habit of going down there to be with them)... and??? She's surprised they're angry they were abandoned, locked up in the dark?
007] Drogon swoops in to save her, and is pretty beat up in the process. She gives him a brief thanks before berating him for not getting her food or taking her home. He's injured and exhausted, but God damn him, he should hunt for you, too!
008] When she's walking between Viserion and Raegal to get to Drogon, they both turn to check her out, and Tyrion, I think? And she just "Nope, need my transportation" walks right by 'em. Not a pat, not a hello, no affection.
009] When Viserion is killed, like I guess she looks kind of sad? Mostly she just seems shocked someone succeeded in killing one of her I.W.I.N. buttons. In the following episodes, there's little to no crying or mourning. Drogon and Raegal fly around calling for him, and we never see her attempt to comfort them, or take comfort from them.

I guess you could make a case for her pulling out Bronn's spear from Drogon's shoulder, but a downed dragon can't get her home. We know she's all about "Drogon, take me home!!" And I'm not entirely convinced he was gonna scorch Jamie specifically to save HER more than he was just displaying standard dragon-ing with "Aggressive enemy human! Rawr!"

I'm also aware that some things like dragon cuddling is filler fluff that can readily be cut for time as it doesn't further the plot, but without enough of it, it makes it hard for me to believe she loves her kiddos as opposed to using them to get what she wants. It really takes away from her character, to me.
ElPrado2

Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:22 am

My daughter would kill to be anywhere near any Walking Dead male role holder (or whatever you would call one [even one of the dead dolls]). I can't stand that show, myself.
sweettalk

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:07 am

--Random Idiot: You should never have killed Glen in Walking Dead, that's why people stopped watching!
--Me: Uh, he dies in the comics. They're staying true to the story.
--Random Idiot: But this is different!

I know people are stupid but this is above and beyond anything I've seen in a very long time.
starrydreamer

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Binge watched the first 2 seasons of The Good Place. Holy forks, it's a funny show. Even my husband likes it and he never likes anything I like.
ThreeMustangs

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 pm

The new season of Top Chef starts tomorrow. It's set in Kentucky and locations include Churchill Downs and Keeneland.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/l ... 442058002/
ElPrado2

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Gordon Elliot is a creep, to put it nicely.