UFC 194

UFC 194

Postby Horsebagger » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Big MMA weekend, capped by two super fights on Saturday night.

It kicks off with an internet card tonight that features a number of younger fighters on the rise (or so Dana White hopes), inclusive of a more defensible candidate (in my mind, over RR) as the Queen of MMA (in the 'prom queen' eligible subset at this point, more than the fighter set), Paige Vanzant. Also includes a couple of men who fancy themselves as male model candidates (count how many times they run their hand through their own hair during their fights). Sage Northcutt and Elias Theodorou. Northcutt probably wins (as its in UFC's best interest), Theodorou maybe not (facing a good Brazilian) and I'll predict PVZ survives the women's scuffle.

Tomorrow night is the finale of the Ultimate Fighter competition for this year. (Can watch it for free on Fox Sports1) I'll be rooting for the American, Hall, but he'll have to find a way to submit the Russian Irishman who is best know for being Conor Magregor's buddy, and the far superior striker. If he can get it to the ground, be can win. If it stays a boxing match, he'll get knocked out, more than likely fairly quickly. Two amateur wrestlers Edgar and Mendes looking to prop themselves up as the next contender to face the winner of Magregor/Aldo on Saturday night and cash in on a bigger payday. Two tough fighters, but I'll take Mendez because he's got more upside and few miles on his body.

Saturday night should be awesome. Assuming the two headliners show up and make weight. Magregor is a worldclass trash talker and as arrogant and condescening as you can possibly imagine. To this point, he's backed it up in spades. Super athletic with special striking skills. Stand and trade with him (at this weight) and you'll be counting lights. But he's unproven if the fight goes to the mat, and I think that's where Aldo is going to try and take it. If he does, he'll eventually get Magregor to tap to a submisison. If he doesn't he can still win what I would expect to be a war on their feet. The longer it goes the stronger his chances, as Magregor has never gone 5 rounds in the UFC. For Magregor to win, he has to knock him out. While that's certainly possible, I'm predicting an Aldo submission win in the 3rd round or later. Magregor says his plan is to win this and then move up a weight class and beat the winner of DosAnos/Cerrone. That's not happening, as I think either of those guys will beat him up. Personally, since I think Aldo is going to win, I hope he doesn't get exposed as being as limited as Rousey, and sticks around. He's entertaining and I enjoy him.

Don't miss the co-Main event either, with potentially an equally competitive fight between Weidman (Long Island boy) vs Rockhold (California boy). Predictably, I'm going with the LI champion to win by submission as well. Then there is the bout between Yoel Romero and Jacare Souza, perhaps the two most athletic men on the planet and both look like they've been carved out of stone (no comment on whether either/both have utilized some chemical enhancement or not). Romero is a Cuban World champion and Olympic Silver medalist in wrestling. Superior MMA skill set, with a huge hole in his gas tank. Both are beasts and will be the next challenger to Weidman (imo) before he moves up to face Jon Jones. I'm saying its Souza by submission.
Horsebagger

Re: UFC 194

Postby stark » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:38 pm

I am so embarrassed.
Consider myself to be a well rounded sports enthusiast.
Football, baseball and even some basketball I can carry on a conversation.
Not sure why fighting is still a major part of hockey, but what the hay.
Heavyweight boxing was fun to follow back in the day of Ali, Liston, Frazier etc. heck I even paid for a pay-per-view once!

But I'll admit that I tried reading your post and have absolutely no clue what you're talking about which gets to my question, is this MMA really a sport or is it more just entertainment for pencil neck geeks?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Horsebagger » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:27 pm

stark wrote:I am so embarrassed.
Heavyweight boxing was fun to follow back in the day of Ali, Liston, Frazier etc. heck I even paid for a pay-per-view once!

But I'll admit that I tried reading your post and have absolutely no clue what you're talking about which gets to my question, is this MMA really a sport or is it more just entertainment for pencil neck geeks?

Just to be clear....are you calling me a pencil neck geek?
Horsebagger

Postby stark » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Horsebagger wrote:

Oh no, that would be Classy Freddie Blassie :lol:
stark

Postby Horsebagger » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:23 pm

stark wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:

Oh no, that would be Classy Freddie Blassie :lol:

By referencing a professional wrestler, maybe that's an indication that this sport isn't for you, and best to ignore the conversations all together instead of feeling embarassed again.
Horsebagger

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:12 pm

Yeah, MMA fighters just love being spoken of in the same sentence as WWE performers. :roll: :lol:
No disrespect to the guys who put on those pro wrestling shows, because all those falls and hits, even if choreographed, still heap a bunch of abuse on the body. I had a friend who spent some time on the pro circuit, and he said he had more injuries from the 'fake' fights than he ever did from fighting inside a cage.
Thanks for that nice breakdown of this weekend's bouts, Stark. Dana must love McGregor, because the tatooed Irishman has really caught the attention of the mainstream media...there's even an article about the fight in the sports section of my paper.
I don't buy any pay-per-views, but I may try to catch the Ultimate Fighter finale.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby stark » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor fight date set for August 26

Oddsmakers in Vegas wasted little time in releasing the opening line for the fight. For those who have been following the drama over the past few months, it should come as no surprise that Mayweather is the early—and overwhelming—favorite to win. According to the Westgate Superbook in Las Vegas, the undefeated Mayweather has been priced at 1/11 (-1100) odds, meaning bettors would have to wager $11 to return a single dollar. Bets on McGregor (7/1 or +700), who is a big underdog due to his boxing inexperience and UFC background, will return $7 for every dollar risked. The books have determined the draw to be the most unlikely outcome and set the line at 33/1 (or +3300) for that to occur.
stark

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:25 pm

I haven't been reading any articles about this match-up (probably because of my intense, knee-jerk antipathy toward anything Mayweather :P), so what are the rules for this fight? If it's straight boxing, I'm not surprised that the odds are not in McGregor's favor.
Big Mouth Mayweather may be a punk, but his boxing skills can't be denied. I wish Conor would drop him like a sack of sh!t, but the girl-beating thug won't be easy to hit.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby sweettalk » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:37 pm

i want floyd to WIPE THE FLOOOOOOR with him. i think, don't quote me, it's standard boxing rules, because conor wants to a make a point.

i hope the point is, "i'm a loser and my head is a punching bag"

omg. BA1, FITE ME.
Follow your heart. You need it. And where did it learn to scurry like that?
sweettalk

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:06 am

K1 rules, or full Muay Thai? :twisted:
BaroqueAgain1

Next

Return to Horsin' Around