UFC 194

Re: UFC 194

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm

I saw a clip of those two in a pre-fight interview/promo on the news and it was pretty silly, since every other word was a 'bleep.'
Conor was making fun of the way Floyd was dressed, and it's true that Mouth was gussied up like an overdressed parody of a Thug Life action figure. Too much bling and too many bleeps.
It was kind of funny. :P
BaroqueAgain1

Postby sweettalk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:45 pm

they're like a couple of grade school kids, lol. everything about this so far has been a wild ride.
Follow your heart. You need it. And where did it learn to scurry like that?
sweettalk

Postby sweettalk » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:30 am

well DC. i hope you learned your lesson. nothing as awesome as watching jones let him think he was winning, then going "nah son, j/k".
sweettalk

Postby stark » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:05 pm

By TIM DAHLBERG
AP Boxing Writer
LAS VEGAS (AP) - It's supposed to be the hottest ticket in sports.

So far, though, fans aren't exactly storming the box office to buy tickets for Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s fight next month with Conor McGregor.

A check online Saturday revealed hundreds - even thousands - of seats still available from Ticketmaster at the T-Mobile arena for the Aug. 26 fight. There are so many open seats that fans with enough room left on their credit cards can buy six tickets together in 162 different spots throughout the arena

That might be because of the astronomical prices set by promoters - the cheapest original tickets on Ticketmaster have a face value of $3,500. Or maybe fans are just waiting for the right time to buy, hoping the price will go down.

Either way, promoter Leonard Ellerbe isn't terribly concerned. He says the fight will not only sell out, but break records for the richest gate.

"We're very excited and very happy with ticket sales so far," Ellerbe told The Associated Press "We're well on our way to smashing our own record which transcended the sport."
more at http://www.week.com/story/36001386/lots ... at-a-price
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby sweettalk » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:26 am

so far mayweather's been a wuss and conor can't grasp the difference between boxing and mma.
sweettalk

Postby sweettalk » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:58 am

BA1, what happened? :lol: :lol: :lol:

actually they both looked... not great. mayweather took ages to get going and conor gassed himself out really bad.
sweettalk

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:22 am

BA1, what happened?

Why ask me? :lol:
I thought I was pretty clear that I wasn't going to be watching this fight. :P
But, yes, I have seen the results. The commentators I saw said that Conor did better than expected for a total boxing newbie. And that Floyd looked his age, but was still capable enough to get the win. Tenth round TKO, IIRC?
Now, did I read correctly? Did McGregor get a $100 million payday for this fight? :o Not bad for the rough-and-tumble Irishman...I just hope he doesn't decide to blow it on Mayweather-style excess and invests it.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby sweettalk » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:07 pm

yep, 9 figure payday for both of them. conor kept slipping into mma style fighting which I get is normal to him but what was the point of training then? and yeah Mayweather def looked his age, rusty. good action tho! conor was whining that he was just fatigued but could have kept on, and should have been allowed to be KO'd but he spent over 30 sec just wobbling around like a drunk after closing time.

can I get 9 figures if i let Mayweather punch me in the face? :lol:
sweettalk

Postby Horsebagger » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:41 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:BA1, what happened?

Why ask me? :lol:
I thought I was pretty clear that I wasn't going to be watching this fight. :P
But, yes, I have seen the results. The commentators I saw said that Conor did better than expected for a total boxing newbie. And that Floyd looked his age, but was still capable enough to get the win. Tenth round TKO, IIRC?
Now, did I read correctly? Did McGregor get a $100 million payday for this fight? :o Not bad for the rough-and-tumble Irishman...I just hope he doesn't decide to blow it on Mayweather-style excess and invests it.

• Walked away feeling like this was a satisfying, entertaining event. I feel Floyd had a strategy to carry the fight into the later rounds for two reasons....1) being aggressive early would have opened him to getting exposed to the big punch, which was the only way he was going to ever lose, and 2) he knew he'd be the better more fit fighter in the later rounds.
• Floyd was never hurt or in danger, despite CM showing some decent boxing skills and landing some punches.
• Where was the vaunted McGregor power? Never really felt he was landing big punches. More just jabs (they were his best weapon and he took advantage of his reach) and slap happy flat footed combinations with little power behind them.
• It was the right move for the ref to step in and stop the punishment when he did. This was a boxing match, not an MMA fight. He was defenseless and exhausted while getting hit repeatedly. It was only going to get worse from there and since there was some criticism for the Nevada boxing commission for even sanctioning this fight between a professional and an amateur, the last thing they needed was some unnecessary devastation to one of the fighters.
• Hopefully, McGregor goes back to doing what he does best, and doesn't get infatuated with being a boxer. He would have gotten hurt by one of the younger tigers who are current professional boxers who would have pressured him from the opening bell and exposed his limitations in skill. He's lucky he was in there with an older man past his prime who had an incentive to carry him for awhile before finishing him.
• A little inside-info on Mayweather and his style/excess..... he has substantial investments as a limited partner in real estate finance investments with some top real estate partners. He's as good a businessman as the sports world has ever seen. He's not bullet-proof because he gambles and spends like a fiend, but he's not Mike Tyson who will need a podcast to have a roof over his head at some point.
Horsebagger

Previous

Return to Horsin' Around