Happiness

Ballerina

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Got some really nice handicap seats for every weekend including Whitney & Travers and closing day. I'm very happy.
Catalina

Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Ballerina wrote:Got some really nice handicap seats for every weekend including Whitney & Travers and closing day. I'm very happy.
Excellent! And during the week?
Ballerina

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:57 pm

Catalina wrote:
Ballerina wrote:Got some really nice handicap seats for every weekend including Whitney & Travers and closing day. I'm very happy.
No weekday tickets. Can't physically manage more than 2 days a week, but if something special comes up during the week, I'll get on it. :-)
Catalina

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:03 pm

Ballerina wrote:
Catalina wrote:
No weekday tickets. Can't physically manage more than 2 days a week, but if something special comes up during the week, I'll get on it. :-)
Well, the big races tend to be on the weekend dates anyway. :) No point in stretching yourself too thin.
starrydreamer

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:20 pm

In the space of 24 hours, we:
- Received an offer on our house
- Countered that offer
- Had our counter accepted
- Have our house under contract.

And

- Put an offer on a house
- Found a new lender and got a new preapproval letter
- Countered our offer on that house after finding out there was another offer
- Had our counter countered
- Accepted that counter
- Have that house under contract

But now we'll have a place to live and have two houses for only about 2 weeks. AND we can stop showing our house. We showed it about 30 times and had a busy open house in 8 days.
Somnambulist

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:58 pm

Wow. It's not often you heard about someone being happy about closing! :D
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Tessablue

Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:34 pm

Congrats starry! That must be a huge relief.

Have always dreamed of having my picture taken at Saratoga, finally achieved that goal today :D But more importantly, the weather has been spectacular and the card today was excellent.
starrydreamer

Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:01 pm

AND of course, our new house has fallen through. We were technically the secondary offer but our realtor assured us repeatedly that the primary offer was going to fall through within the knock-out period.

Of course, they did not.

This is the happiness thread, so I guess the happiness is that I'm eating my feelings. Thai food, and I had a $7 off coupon, so it's tasty cheap thai food.
Somnambulist

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:23 pm

I went to Arlington.

What a beautiful racetrack. Guys, you should all go.

My boyfriend and I are also marveling over how cheap it is to live here. IL coffee is shit but we can import the water I guess..
starrydreamer

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I went to Arlington.

My boyfriend and I are also marveling over how cheap it is to live here. IL coffee is shit but we can import the water I guess..
Arlington is gorgeous. I love going there (to be fair, the only other racetrack I've been to is Golden Gate).

There IS good coffee there and it's not hard to find... where the heck did you go? :lol:

Having lived in both NY and near Arlington, I can say that yeah, it's cheaper in the Arlington area (we were actually seriously considering moving to Arlington Heights or a neighboring town). The nice thing about the Chicago area is that you get cheaper the further you go from the city, quicker than you do when you move away from NYC. Probably because there's no ocean.
Squally

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:04 pm

You should just go to McDonald's for coffee. It's actually very good. I have my own creamer, but besides that, the coffee itself is good <G>
Somnambulist

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:44 pm

starrydreamer wrote:

Arlington is gorgeous. I love going there (to be fair, the only other racetrack I've been to is Golden Gate).

There IS good coffee there and it's not hard to find... where the heck did you go? :lol:

Having lived in both NY and near Arlington, I can say that yeah, it's cheaper in the Arlington area (we were actually seriously considering moving to Arlington Heights or a neighboring town). The nice thing about the Chicago area is that you get cheaper the further you go from the city, quicker than you do when you move away from NYC. Probably because there's no ocean.
It's cheaper to live in nice parts of this city than it currently is for us to live on LI. We're really blown away by that and that a city can be like this - and we're both well traveled!

Everyone here is just so nice. It's that Mid Westerness.
stark

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:28 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!

CINCINNATI (Reuters) - Workers at Nissan Motor Co Ltd's (7201.T) plant in Canton, Mississippi, voted nearly two to one against union representation, the company and the United Auto Workers (UAW) said late on Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uaw- ... SKBN1AL02O
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
sweettalk

Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:19 pm

not sure saying "yay, no union!" outside of the politics threads is a good idea.
Insane Crazy

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:38 pm

sweettalk wrote:not sure saying "yay, no union!" outside of the politics threads is a good idea.
It does seem out of the spirit of the thread. Unless one of the workers is here and Stark is congratulating them specifically...?
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
starrydreamer

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:

It's cheaper to live in nice parts of this city than it currently is for us to live on LI. We're really blown away by that and that a city can be like this - and we're both well traveled!

Everyone here is just so nice. It's that Mid Westerness.
LoL There is a reason I (and many others) have moved to the midwest. You should come up to the Twin Cities. Beautiful, clean air, affordable (more than the Chicago area), and extremely polite people.

Living in the midwest has its issues, but I doubt I'll ever move back to the east coast (even though I really really miss the ocean).
Insane Crazy

Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:41 pm

If I were gonna live anywhere but home (Missouri) or where I am now (Vermont-ish area), it'd be Chicago or Twin Cities. Chicago has so much going on, great food, cheaper than NYC across the board, people are neat (though ridiculous, but all cities are), and public transit is so solid. I'm biased because I went to school there, but still!
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
starrydreamer

Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:If I were gonna live anywhere but home (Missouri) or where I am now (Vermont-ish area), it'd be Chicago or Twin Cities. Chicago has so much going on, great food, cheaper than NYC across the board, people are neat (though ridiculous, but all cities are), and public transit is so solid. I'm biased because I went to school there, but still!
I honestly like the Twin Cities better than Chicago. City is smaller but still a decent public transportation system, with pretty much every amenity that Chicago offers, minus Lake Michigan. But go 2 hours north up to Duluth and you get Lake Superior, which is less polluted than Lake Superior anyway. And the TC does a better job at green space, I think - there are more parks.

However, I will admit that Chicago has an advantage in the form of the Art Institute. I love that place.
Insane Crazy

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:41 pm

I haven't spent much time in the Twin Cities, so I am obviously biased away from them -- but they always sound wonderful!

My happiness (?) for the day: quit my job. Was so anxious I couldn't get out of my car yesterday and drove home. Realized it wasn't worth it. Now I just have to deal with my boss for a few more days and I'm out. Broke, lmao, but out.
Somnambulist

Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:53 pm

Congrats! If all you feel is relief then it's a good sign.

Wish I could quit mine.