Happiness

Post Reply
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:58 am

BlindLucky wrote:I got my driver's license at about 10am on my 16th birthday. That was about 24 years ago, and I can count on one hand the times I've had to parallel park since then :D
I hate parallel parking. I would rather walk blocks than do it. ;)
The one year me and my family went to the beach, I had a rental car and it literally took me like 20 minutes to parallel park. My cousins and brother who are 7-10 years younger than me thought it was hilarious, as they were the only people with me at the time.
Catalina
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:39 am

BlindLucky wrote:I got my driver's license at about 10am on my 16th birthday. That was about 24 years ago, and I can count on one hand the times I've had to parallel park since then :D
I used to be quite good at it back when I first got my licence, as probably 90% of the parking spots around me required parallel parking. These days, I maybe have to parallel park once every two or three years, and while I still can do it, it's not as neat and tidy and close to the curb as I used to. And, I downright avoid it where I can.
User avatar
Prairie Bayou
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 am
Location: Reisterstown, Maryland
Contact:

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:20 pm

I'm happy I'm going to the Capitals vs Bruins game on Tuesday for my Birthday! THANK YOU GIN TALKING!!! I hope she comes back and signs up again. :mrgreen:

I'm also happy to go to see The Mortal Instruments City Of Bones AGAIN! Can't get enough.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
User avatar
Retrospectiv
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm a die hard Nine Inch Nails junkie from way back.
Yesterday, I managed to qualify for a chance to see them in concert, in Toronto next month via a local radio station contest. It was a short qualifying round for them, only Mon-Fri so there were limited opportunities to try and get in on the draw.
I'M SOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!! *Sigh* Chances of winning are soooo slim but at least I'm in for a shot! :mrgreen:
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:I'm a die hard Nine Inch Nails junkie from way back.
Yesterday, I managed to qualify for a chance to see them in concert, in Toronto next month via a local radio station contest. It was a short qualifying round for them, only Mon-Fri so there were limited opportunities to try and get in on the draw.
I'M SOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!! *Sigh* Chances of winning are soooo slim but at least I'm in for a shot! :mrgreen:
I was just by Trent's hometown. Its not far from where I live. :)
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:04 am

I am installed in my very first apartment! Woo! Technically we moved in on June 1st, but I went home for the summer. This will be my first night sleeping here not on a couch or the floor. I unpacked all of my clothes (I may make a vent about this, but that's another story...) and just need to clear out things like books/DVDs/etc. from my boxes.

After a seven hour drive up to Chicago and a lot of lugging stuff around, I am going to sleep well tonight. Tomorrow: tasty brunch with the parents.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2665
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:36 pm

My mom got me Matriarchs, new and pristine, and Matriarchs II for my birthday! :) So excited, I've wanted these books for a long time. I said to her, wow, how much did you pay for this copy of Matriarchs and she said about $125. *shakes head* I'm really really happy though.
Pan Zareta
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:01 am

DH and I are taking Thursday off for a day trip to Indianapolis to see this ...

http://www.childrensmuseum.org/avatar
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:03 am

Catalina wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:I got my driver's license at about 10am on my 16th birthday. That was about 24 years ago, and I can count on one hand the times I've had to parallel park since then :D
I used to be quite good at it back when I first got my licence, as probably 90% of the parking spots around me required parallel parking. These days, I maybe have to parallel park once every two or three years, and while I still can do it, it's not as neat and tidy and close to the curb as I used to. And, I downright avoid it where I can.
Parallel parking is still one of my few talents. I never look over my right shoulder. I just make sure my rear view and side mirrors are positioned properly and use them when doing a parallel park. I can even PP our big Ford Excursion.

Brag, brag, gag, gag!
Tessablue
Posts: 3402
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:06 pm

I'm not much good at street parking (never actually learned how to do it, since it wasn't on the test), but I have learned how to parallel park on the opposite side of the road... that took some getting used to and it's often pretty ugly.

My advisor is presenting my work at a conference tomorrow. I'm pretty thrilled that it's already this far along- only been working on it for six months. At this rate I'll have my doctorate in no time*!

*within the next five years
BlindLucky
Posts: 3314
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:22 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:04 pm

Flanders wrote:My mom got me Matriarchs, new and pristine, and Matriarchs II for my birthday! :) So excited, I've wanted these books for a long time. I said to her, wow, how much did you pay for this copy of Matriarchs and she said about $125. *shakes head* I'm really really happy though.
I forget where I got my volume I, but it's such a fantastic book!

For some reason, ExclusivelyEquine has volume II marked down to $7.95. That's a beautiful one, too.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Senator L
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Somnambulist wrote:Man, I am happy this website is back so my work days can go back to being unproductive!
Sooo funny and so true :D
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
User avatar
pointgivenfan
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:59 am

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:35 am

There's almost always food here at work.
Birthdays, meetings, whatever.
I love it.
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
User avatar
Le Beau Bai
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:50 am

I literally just had the most amazing riding lesson! We jumped a course of 7 fences then swapped over to another lesson horse and jumped a different course, it all went really well and we got all the correct strides and kept every pole up plus my hands are getting better (normally I give too much) :D Then we finished off with a nice walk round the field.
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Catalina
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:04 am

Le Beau Bai wrote:I literally just had the most amazing riding lesson! We jumped a course of 7 fences then swapped over to another lesson horse and jumped a different course, it all went really well and we got all the correct strides and kept every pole up plus my hands are getting better (normally I give too much) :D Then we finished off with a nice walk round the field.
Good going, LBB! I'm green with envy. Jumping didn't come easily to me, and circumstances (aka spare cash for riding lessons) changed right around the time I finally started to get the hang of jumping.
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:36 am

Bacon, egg, and cheese on a french toast bagel.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Le Beau Bai
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:48 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:18 am

Catalina wrote:Good going, LBB! I'm green with envy. Jumping didn't come easily to me, and circumstances (aka spare cash for riding lessons) changed right around the time I finally started to get the hang of jumping.
Thanks! That must have been frustrating for you! It's been a bit of an up hill battle for me as I was very confident when I was younger only for me to lose all my confidence and flatly refuse to sit on a horse for 6 months. This is the first time I've felt really confident for a very long time and I'm actually enjoying my jumping lessons (I prefer dressage) :D
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Catalina
Posts: 3152
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:34 am

Le Beau Bai wrote:
Catalina wrote:Good going, LBB! I'm green with envy. Jumping didn't come easily to me, and circumstances (aka spare cash for riding lessons) changed right around the time I finally started to get the hang of jumping.
Thanks! That must have been frustrating for you! It's been a bit of an up hill battle for me as I was very confident when I was younger only for me to lose all my confidence and flatly refuse to sit on a horse for 6 months. This is the first time I've felt really confident for a very long time and I'm actually enjoying my jumping lessons (I prefer dressage) :D
Having to overcome that makes it an even bigger accomplishment.
User avatar
ElPrado2
Posts: 1426
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Well, I found something to laugh about. I live across the street from a nursery that seems to cater mainly to nurses, etc.
I had the giggles just now. The woman that runs it seems to like to rocket out of her driveway when she leaves for a grocery run or to pick up kids at school, etc. It has been absolutely pouring rain since noon yesterday. She did not rocket off very far. By the time she got her car going forward she had managed to stall it 7 times. I could hear her screaming at it behind the wheel. I have been waiting for this to happen. They change SUVs fairly often, 4 so far this year, and she was about due. She already has one that they have to start with jumper cables. Now she has killed the transmission in this one. She drives like a football linebacker, all aggression.
Horsecrazygal21
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:12 pm
Location: Ludington, Michigan

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:02 pm

https://www.facebook.com/kaycee.mauer/m ... 383&type=1

For my 26th birthday this month I decided to give myself the gift of a photography session and the final prints only ended up being 22 but I am happy with the results she does great work. I love them and my eyes look amazing!!!
Last edited by Horsecrazygal21 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply