Happiness

Re: Happiness

Postby Squally » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I went to Arlington.

What a beautiful racetrack. Guys, you should all go.

My boyfriend and I are also marveling over how cheap it is to live here. IL coffee is shit but we can import the water I guess..


You should just go to McDonald's for coffee. It's actually very good. I have my own creamer, but besides that, the coffee itself is good <G>
Squally
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Re: Happiness

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:44 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:I went to Arlington.

What a beautiful racetrack. Guys, you should all go.

My boyfriend and I are also marveling over how cheap it is to live here. IL coffee is shit but we can import the water I guess..


Arlington is gorgeous. I love going there (to be fair, the only other racetrack I've been to is Golden Gate).

There IS good coffee there and it's not hard to find... where the heck did you go? :lol:

Having lived in both NY and near Arlington, I can say that yeah, it's cheaper in the Arlington area (we were actually seriously considering moving to Arlington Heights or a neighboring town). The nice thing about the Chicago area is that you get cheaper the further you go from the city, quicker than you do when you move away from NYC. Probably because there's no ocean.


It's cheaper to live in nice parts of this city than it currently is for us to live on LI. We're really blown away by that and that a city can be like this - and we're both well traveled!

Everyone here is just so nice. It's that Mid Westerness.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6844
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Re: Happiness

Postby stark » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:28 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!

CINCINNATI (Reuters) - Workers at Nissan Motor Co Ltd's (7201.T) plant in Canton, Mississippi, voted nearly two to one against union representation, the company and the United Auto Workers (UAW) said late on Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-uaw- ... SKBN1AL02O
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Happiness

Postby sweettalk » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:19 pm

not sure saying "yay, no union!" outside of the politics threads is a good idea.
Follow your heart. You need it. And where did it learn to scurry like that?
User avatar
sweettalk
 
Posts: 1731
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Happiness

Postby Insane Crazy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:38 pm

sweettalk wrote:not sure saying "yay, no union!" outside of the politics threads is a good idea.

It does seem out of the spirit of the thread. Unless one of the workers is here and Stark is congratulating them specifically...?
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
User avatar
Insane Crazy
 
Posts: 2977
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Re: Happiness

Postby starrydreamer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:I went to Arlington.

What a beautiful racetrack. Guys, you should all go.

My boyfriend and I are also marveling over how cheap it is to live here. IL coffee is shit but we can import the water I guess..


Arlington is gorgeous. I love going there (to be fair, the only other racetrack I've been to is Golden Gate).

There IS good coffee there and it's not hard to find... where the heck did you go? :lol:

Having lived in both NY and near Arlington, I can say that yeah, it's cheaper in the Arlington area (we were actually seriously considering moving to Arlington Heights or a neighboring town). The nice thing about the Chicago area is that you get cheaper the further you go from the city, quicker than you do when you move away from NYC. Probably because there's no ocean.


It's cheaper to live in nice parts of this city than it currently is for us to live on LI. We're really blown away by that and that a city can be like this - and we're both well traveled!

Everyone here is just so nice. It's that Mid Westerness.


LoL There is a reason I (and many others) have moved to the midwest. You should come up to the Twin Cities. Beautiful, clean air, affordable (more than the Chicago area), and extremely polite people.

Living in the midwest has its issues, but I doubt I'll ever move back to the east coast (even though I really really miss the ocean).
User avatar
starrydreamer
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Re: Happiness

Postby Insane Crazy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:41 pm

If I were gonna live anywhere but home (Missouri) or where I am now (Vermont-ish area), it'd be Chicago or Twin Cities. Chicago has so much going on, great food, cheaper than NYC across the board, people are neat (though ridiculous, but all cities are), and public transit is so solid. I'm biased because I went to school there, but still!
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
User avatar
Insane Crazy
 
Posts: 2977
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Re: Happiness

Postby starrydreamer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:05 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:If I were gonna live anywhere but home (Missouri) or where I am now (Vermont-ish area), it'd be Chicago or Twin Cities. Chicago has so much going on, great food, cheaper than NYC across the board, people are neat (though ridiculous, but all cities are), and public transit is so solid. I'm biased because I went to school there, but still!


I honestly like the Twin Cities better than Chicago. City is smaller but still a decent public transportation system, with pretty much every amenity that Chicago offers, minus Lake Michigan. But go 2 hours north up to Duluth and you get Lake Superior, which is less polluted than Lake Superior anyway. And the TC does a better job at green space, I think - there are more parks.

However, I will admit that Chicago has an advantage in the form of the Art Institute. I love that place.
User avatar
starrydreamer
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Re: Happiness

Postby Insane Crazy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:41 pm

I haven't spent much time in the Twin Cities, so I am obviously biased away from them -- but they always sound wonderful!

My happiness (?) for the day: quit my job. Was so anxious I couldn't get out of my car yesterday and drove home. Realized it wasn't worth it. Now I just have to deal with my boss for a few more days and I'm out. Broke, lmao, but out.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
User avatar
Insane Crazy
 
Posts: 2977
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Re: Happiness

Postby Somnambulist » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:53 pm

Congrats! If all you feel is relief then it's a good sign.

Wish I could quit mine.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Somnambulist
 
Posts: 6844
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: canvasjockey and 1 guest