Happiness

Re: Happiness

Postby Tessablue » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:51 pm

Sorry you ended up in that situation IC, but glad you were able to make the choice that was best for you. Good luck going forward!

Two very long MRIs and an excellent neurologist later... and it turns out that not only are my recent neurological symptoms just due to positional overuse, but I don't even have any spinal lesions besides a benign cyst. My dismay at having worried about apparent spinal tumors for three years is eclipsed by my relief that there is nothing amiss!
Tessablue

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:49 pm

That's great...although I wonder what sorts of changes you're going to need to make to solve those "positional overuse" issues. :P
Are we talking too much sitting? Too much yoga? Too much exuberant hanky-panky? :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Tessablue » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:33 pm

Haha, those I could certainly live with! :D No, I've just been resting my arms on my chair while doing too much computer work in the past few months- can't feel my ring or pinky fingers sometimes. Starting in September I'll be returning to the bench, so hopefully that resolves it.
Tessablue

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:27 pm

Tessablue wrote:Haha, those I could certainly live with! :D No, I've just been resting my arms on my chair while doing too much computer work in the past few months- can't feel my ring or pinky fingers sometimes. Starting in September I'll be returning to the bench, so hopefully that resolves it.

Standing desk girl. If your job lets you, anyway. Or get a stability ball with that back support. They make ones specifically now for sitting but I have a $10 ball from Walmart I've been using for close to 4 years. I've started office trends with them.

Plus the ball is fun. Cause bouncing and we're all toddlers are heart.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Insane Crazy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote:Haha, those I could certainly live with! :D No, I've just been resting my arms on my chair while doing too much computer work in the past few months- can't feel my ring or pinky fingers sometimes. Starting in September I'll be returning to the bench, so hopefully that resolves it.

Standing desk girl. If your job lets you, anyway. Or get a stability ball with that back support. They make ones specifically now for sitting but I have a $10 ball from Walmart I've been using for close to 4 years. I've started office trends with them.

Plus the ball is fun. Cause bouncing and we're all toddlers are heart.

Careful if you have back stuff though, re: the bouncing. I switched to a ball when I fractured my spine and I bounced so much I was apparently mashing my vertebrae together repeatedly. Oops!

LOVE standing desks, though. LOVE.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 pm

From what I've read it's better if you have the "chair" for the ball. I've yet to get one, mostly because my current job doesn't allow it. The research is in infancy; I've seen some articles swear it promotes spinal shrinkage when others don't. I need to get paid to get my JSTOR account.
Somnambulist

Postby Tessablue » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:39 am

I appreciate the advice! My boss uses a standing desk and it has done him a world of good, but his issues are different from mine and I haven't had much advice on how to prevent these symptoms. Unfortunately, I have a really bad knee that blew up a couple years ago so standing gets very painful very quickly. But getting up and moving around is definitely a great idea and I will look into the stability ball, because that sounds fun AND beneficial and I am totally here for that.

Som I gotta set you up with a proxy or just send papers to you; that stuff is too valuable to hide behind a paywall.
Tessablue

Postby Insane Crazy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:23 am

Somnambulist wrote:From what I've read it's better if you have the "chair" for the ball. I've yet to get one, mostly because my current job doesn't allow it. The research is in infancy; I've seen some articles swear it promotes spinal shrinkage when others don't. I need to get paid to get my JSTOR account.

My evidence is purely anecdotal -- my back started to hurt after sessions of bouncing around, lol. But I loved switching back and forth between ball and standing. It was a good solution.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby Somnambulist » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:56 pm

My awful cold has subsided enough that I'm not blowing my nose AT ALL today and can much better enjoy myself seeing Lady GaGa tonight!
Somnambulist

Postby TapitsGal » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:45 pm

I adopted a three month old orange tabby kitten named Cheeto tonight. I've changed his name to Patrick like st Patrick
TapitsGal

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around