Happiness

Re: Happiness

Postby TapitsGal » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:36 am

Applied as a transfer student to university of nh yesterday for fall 2017 praying I get in would love to some way get involved with the equine program doing collegiate shows
TapitsGal

Postby Insane Crazy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:34 pm

I spent a long weekend in Chicago, hanging out with friends from college and having a really wonderful time. Lots of movies, jokes, references, deep discussions, and a dangerous little concoction called Chatham Artillery Punch. Happy to be returning to my bed, but I love leaving a weekend where I got very little sleep feeling wildly energized.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby Somnambulist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:58 pm

Landon Collins is doing an autograph signing by me.

I actually might cry of happiness.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Miesque1973 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:08 pm

George the dove and his new wife Irene are now the proud parents of a new baby. I think it hatched Friday or Saturday. The second egg, alas, seems to be a dud.

I wish I had kept track of all the babies he's fathered over the past 12+ years, but record-keeping is not my forte. :)

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Congrats to George and his mate...and you, the proud step-parent. ;)
How long does it take for a young dove to mature and be ready to leave its parents? Will you keep the little family together, or will "junior" need his/her own cage?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Miesque1973 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:02 pm

They're usually out of the nest and pestering their parents for free meals within roughly two weeks of hatching. When they hatch, they're about the size of... um... a largish jelly bean, and they grow very fast (doves are excellent, diligent parents). Within three or four days, their eyes are open. Within a week, pin feathers are coming in and they're looking around. Within a few more days, they're sitting on the side of the nest box. After that, they're climbing around and soon are getting up on the perches to beg for food (If George could talk, I think he'd spend a lot of time yelling, "It's right there in the blasted feeder, you little dink!"). After a few days of that, I usually give the babies to a friend of ours who raises doves, so they won't drive George bananas.

(I recently found that besides popcorn and greens, George loves grapes. I have to break the grapes into tiny pieces, but he was delighted with that treat)

The modified parrot cage where George and Irene live really isn't big enough for more than two doves. More than two doves in a cage can stress them out and they start picking feathers off each other. Unattractive, to say the least.

The second egg was indeed a dud. I tossed it, so they could concentrate entirely on the hatchling.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby Somnambulist » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 am

After a 55 hour week + commute time I am so ready for this weekend. Holy tired.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby Personal Ensign » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:36 pm

After not seeing my son for 22 years (his dad got custody when we divorced and then they left Alaska) my son is coming back to Alaska on Monday April 24th, he arrives at 2:10 PM Alaska time!! I am one very happy mother right now!!!!!!
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
W. C. Fields

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
Personal Ensign

Postby Starine » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 pm

How exciting, PE. You must be thrilled.
Starine

Postby Personal Ensign » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:30 am

Starine,
I am very excited Monday can't come soon enough :lol:
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
W. C. Fields

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
Personal Ensign

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around