The movie thread

Tessablue

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:06 pm

peeptoad wrote:Thanks TB. Things are not so well, but I'm hanging... ;)
Sorry to hear that... wishing you the best. I'm potentially in a similar boat right now, will be jobless in a month unless a miracle happens and I find something or our funding gets through. Sucks.
Somnambulist

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Sorry to hear that... wishing you the best. I'm potentially in a similar boat right now, will be jobless in a month unless a miracle happens and I find something or our funding gets through. Sucks.
My new life plan is for us to buy a tiny house and wait tables for the rest of our lives.

Preferably not in this country because we have a work life balance problem in the worst way.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Starine

Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Hoping your situation improves soon -- worrying about work and money really sucks all the fun out of life.
peeptoad

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:54 am

Tessablue wrote:
I suspect the next 4 years may be tough considering the field we both work in and the pending NIH budget cuts. Time to move on...
Tessablue

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:03 pm

Somnambulist wrote: My new life plan is for us to buy a tiny house and wait tables for the rest of our lives.

Preferably not in this country because we have a work life balance problem in the worst way.
Ha, that sounds good to me! And yes, it is a huge problem. We seriously all need to chill.
Starine wrote: Hoping your situation improves soon -- worrying about work and money really sucks all the fun out of life.
Thank you, I appreciate it. I don't want to complain too much because I now have an advanced degree and I can get by with my fiance's income for a bit, but having to worry about a secure future is pretty awful from any perspective, I think.
peeptoad wrote: I suspect the next 4 years may be tough considering the field we both work in and the pending NIH budget cuts. Time to move on...
Ugh, right? I was supposed to have NIH funding and now it's just frozen, if not entirely slashed. Meanwhile, people I've talked to at the NSF have heard literally nothing and are not certain whether they should intervene to point out that they actually exist. I picked one hell of a time to graduate. Just hoping to end up with a job before we lose an entire generation of scientists.

So on that cheery note, I'd genuinely like to wish you the best... it's rough out there, and all we can do right now is support each other and keep trying.
Somnambulist

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:14 pm

I wouldn't worry too much. It all ends up working out.

I know I am not terribly older than you lol, but when I graduated there was shit. Literal shit out there. I had $3 in my account most of the time after my bills were paid for 2 years. But it did get better. It always does. Things come and go and there is no way we get another administration like this one going forward. If you literally can't find anything I suggest you dog walk. I have a lot of extremely wealthy clients in the Boston area and I WISH I dog walked for them. People probably make more than me.

Every degree is widely flexible. People look for personal assistants in all fields and trust me, the rich are always rich. I'm always looking for a new job and you would be shocked what a degree gets you. Museums, insurance companies, you name it. Maybe not what you want right away but paid bills are paid bills.

I'm literally pushing for medical tests because I'm terrified what it looks like going forward. My boyfriend is on Obamacare and I'm scared he loses it. He has 4 herinated discs and ugh. I'll marry him, but then the cost per paycheck skyrockets. Ay. This is why we drink.
Last edited by Somnambulist on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tessablue

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:18 pm

Somnambulist wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. It all ends up working out.

I know I am not terribly older than you lol, but when I graduated there was shit. Literal shit out there. I had $3 in my account most of the time after my bills were paid for 2 years. But it did get better. It always does. Things come and go and there is no way we get another administration like this one going forward. If you literally can't find anything I suggest you dog walk. I have a lot of extremely wealthy clients in the Boston area and I WISH I dog walked for them.

Every degree is widely flexible. People look for personal assistants in all fields and trust me, the rich are always rich. I'm always looking for a new job and you would be shocked what a degree gets you. Museums, insurance companies, you name it.
This is a good point, thank you. I think at the moment I'm in a weird place where I don't want to stay in academia, because it's horrible, but I want a job that requires a PhD because I want these past five years to have been worth it. But it's important to keep in mind that it opens more doors than just academic ones, even if it isn't initially evident. And there are far worse places to be than Boston for people with degrees in biology.

Also I did officially pass my defense today and we drank quite a lot afterwards so feel free to ignore all of my existential ramblings, lol.
Somnambulist

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:22 pm

My friend's husband has a PhD in physics and now works for a bank. I think he wishes it was more but for now it provides him stability and the money is good.

He and I routinely go back and forth on grad school - over drinks I wish I went for it and he doesn't. So the grass is always greener!

And congrats. Keep drinking.
Tessablue

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:31 pm

Somnambulist wrote:My friend's husband has a PhD in physics and now works for a bank. I think he wishes it was more but for now it provides him stability and the money is good.

He and I routinely go back and forth on grad school - over drinks I wish I went for it and he doesn't. So the grass is always greener!

And congrats. Keep drinking.
Yeah, at the end of the day I don't think I'll regret it. I had some amazing adventures and got to make new discoveries that will hopefully help people some day. And hey, I'm happy to provide brutally honest grad school advice at any point! There are a lot of factors that play into whether or not it's a torturous experience, and I wish somebody had given me advice before I got started five years ago.

And thanks! I'd love to, but sleep is a little more appealing right now ;)
Starine

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:28 pm

Honestly, I think going to college was the worst decision I ever made. Who would have thought that spending tens of thousands of dollars on a degree would get you absolute peanuts in return?

I've applied to other jobs but haven't had any bites so far and am getting very discouraged. Before I moved from my small town, it was easy to find side jobs like babysitting, dog-walking, massages, yard work and what not when times got rough. But ever since I have moved I just haven't had any luck.

I'm so broke and scared that I'm on the verge of tears almost all of the time.
peeptoad

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 am

Tessablue wrote: Ugh, right? I was supposed to have NIH funding and now it's just frozen, if not entirely slashed. Meanwhile, people I've talked to at the NSF have heard literally nothing and are not certain whether they should intervene to point out that they actually exist. I picked one hell of a time to graduate. Just hoping to end up with a job before we lose an entire generation of scientists.

So on that cheery note, I'd genuinely like to wish you the best... it's rough out there, and all we can do right now is support each other and keep trying.
Thanks, TB. And good luck to you, too.
Like Som said I'm not terribly worried about it; have an interview this morning actually so fingers crossed on that. It would be half the commute I currently have as well. The times they are a-changing, but everything is fluid. I lost my job 3 weeks before 9/11 and it took me almost a year to find full time employment again and I survived. We'll all be fine. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOaXTg3nAuY
peeptoad

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:49 am

Oh, and so as not to derail this thread totally: I rewatached Carnival of Souls last night. Bam! Still one of my favorites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bUePiQJJCI

peeptoad

Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:31 am

April is B&W month... nothing but extremes!
I recommend Mr Sardonicus, which I watched last night. One of the best I've seen yet from the venerable William Castle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou4Xidb3fVE
Starine

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 pm

By the way, has anyone else seen Logan?

I like most of the X-Men movies, but I was blown away by how well done and poignant it is. It's not just good for a superhero movie; it's a good movie, period.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Logan is the best "X-Men" movie I think they've ever made. And If it weren't a 'genre' flick, IMO both Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart would get noms for acting awards.
I'm seeing Ghost In the Shell tomorrow; I'll post my opinion later.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Ghost in the Shell is a very cool movie, with extraordinary visuals. Really liked it.
Some of the criticisms about casting and changes from the original anime don't really matter, unless those items matter to you more than the overall quality of the movie.
IMHO, some of the way it's changed makes it a more cohesive movie, especially for those who aren't fans of the original material.
That said, one thing that I did think was both unnecessary and unwieldy was...

SPOILERS, sort of....

The whole mother bit. While illuminating the Major's back story was important to expose the depth of the bad guy's villainy, shoehorning "Motoko" into the denouement just felt...awkward?
Insane Crazy

Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Making a POC character white, but then like..."asianizing" that white actress? Yuck. I'm glad the movie is alright and everyone is welcome to enjoy it as they see fit, but yeah, that matters to me more than the movie.

It will never cease to amaze me the hoops Hollywood will jump through just to avoid casting one of the many outrageously talented actors of color available to them. Womp.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Somnambulist

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:08 pm

Uhm. Have you ever watched GITS?

Because the major is a kind of a cyborg. A kickass robot, but a white prosthetic body. There isn't even anything remotely Asian looking about her. This isn't like she was black and they casted her as white. Her body was made to look a specific way from it's designer so she better blended in and looked a certain way. Her name is clearly not white but the major most definitely has a fake body that can construed as white. Her features give nothing away.

I've seen probably well over 100 anime titles in my life (although none recently, and the number I have seen is not something to be proud of) and truly, they look so white. Which is odd and a convo in amongst itself but why they even felt the need to Asian-ize Scarjo is even more weird, since the major was a robot.

The real wonder here is why anyone would watch a live-action movie of an anime. They're all dreadful. The sales for them are dreadful. They needed a hot chick to bring some reason for people to show up to it. Scarjo sucks but she is hot.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Good point, Som. Maybe because she went by 'Motoko' and had black hair, many critics assume she must have been Asian? But the way she was drawn was not very specific, as far as ethnicity goes.
IIRC< Division 9 was a pretty multi-cultural unit, especially for the year GITS first came out. There were several agents who were definitely not Asian. Don't see why the casting for the movie had to become such a diversity-expectation issue. :roll:
Somnambulist

Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:33 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Good point, Som. Maybe because she went by 'Motoko' and had black hair, many critics assume she must have been Asian? But the way she was drawn was not very specific, as far as ethnicity goes.
IIRC< Division 9 was a pretty multi-cultural unit, especially for the year GITS first came out. There were several agents who were definitely not Asian. Don't see why the casting for the movie had to become such a diversity-expectation issue. :roll:
It has been long since I have watched GITS but no one really knows the Major's background right? Regardless shes a cyborg! It's not even her real body. It's a synthetic.

And it's like everything else right now. It's amazing. Everyone claims to be so progressive but they're not mad over the need to sexualize women to sell this movie. It's just easy to be upset with what everyone else is.