The movie thread

starrydreamer

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:I watched The Beguiled. That is about it. Oh, and what a waste of acting talent.
That's disappointing. It hit HBO Go and I was thinking of watching it.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:10 pm

Black Panther has broken so many records, but this is one I guess I never would have predicted. :shock:
'Black Panther' Expected To Formally Break Saudis' 35-Year Cinema Ban
The last time Saudis could walk into a commercial movie theater, buy a bucket of popcorn and settle in for a silver-screen spectacle, that film may well have been E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. Or Tron, maybe — or Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan? The point is, it's been an awfully long time since Saudi Arabia's ban on public cinemas took effect in 1983 — so long, in fact, the ban is older even than the ultraconservative kingdom's crown prince, along with two-thirds of his country.
But the formal end of the ban is in sight.
Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Culture and Information announced Wednesday that it has partnered with AMC to open up to 40 cinemas across the country in the next five years, with the first one set to open its doors in Riyadh on April 18. And according to multiple media outlets, that theater's very first film is one that's already well-acquainted with breaking new ground:
Black Panther.
Read more: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... cinema-ban
Starine

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:32 pm

Just got back from seeing The Quiet Place. A very intelligent and intense film; it's been called horror but I think of it more as a thriller. It's gotten rave reviews from Steven King and others, and now I know why.

My advice: See it like I did, without researching the film first. It was more enjoyable not really know what the movie was about going in.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:20 pm

After the reviews I've read and the beautiful photos from the film that I've seen, I'm just waiting for The Rider to make it to a local theater.
stark

Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:08 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu May 10, 2018 12:41 am

If you have found yourself yearning for a movie that's not a huge, loud tent-pole extravaganza, I recommend The Rider.
It's a slow, poignant story with a charismatic lead, who is basically being himself. Brady Jandreau plays a young Lakota cowboy who is trying to find his way after a rodeo injury puts his future as a rider at risk.
The cinematography is gorgeous, but it's the horses who reveal the heart of the story. The footage of Brady working with unbroken colts is damn impressive, since Jandreau actually WAS the trainer for the movie and all the training he does on camera is real.
Ballerina

Thu May 10, 2018 1:18 am

Starine wrote:Just got back from seeing The Quiet Place. A very intelligent and intense film; it's been called horror but I think of it more as a thriller. It's gotten rave reviews from Steven King and others, and now I know why.

My advice: See it like I did, without researching the film first. It was more enjoyable not really know what the movie was about going in.
The butler did it. :-)
Miesque1973

Thu May 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Saw Solo, saw Avengers: Infinity War. Can't wait for The Incredibles 2 & the latest Jurassic Park movie (Lost Kingdom?).

Solo was okay, I guess. I'm not a big sci-fi fan and was never terribly into the Star Wars thing, but it was entertaining.

The Avengers movie was almost tiresome. I mean, it was okay, but geesh, what a bummer ending. Of course, sitting through the credits to get to the little scenelette was almost as long as the movie itself. I told the guy next to me that I had started to look for my own name.

And now I'm watching an old episode of Gunsmoke. Mainly because I can't find the remote control.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
starrydreamer

Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If you have found yourself yearning for a movie that's not a huge, loud tent-pole extravaganza, I recommend The Rider.
It's a slow, poignant story with a charismatic lead, who is basically being himself. Brady Jandreau plays a young Lakota cowboy who is trying to find his way after a rodeo injury puts his future as a rider at risk.
The cinematography is gorgeous, but it's the horses who reveal the heart of the story. The footage of Brady working with unbroken colts is damn impressive, since Jandreau actually WAS the trainer for the movie and all the training he does on camera is real.
I listened to an NPR interview of Brady Jandreau - I think it was on Fresh Air. It was super interesting.