The movie thread

Re: The movie thread

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:57 pm

Ballerina, I'm sorry that you read some synopsis on Shape of Water that provides only a Cliff Notes take on the movie.
Spoilers on plot points are something I try to avoid, even if I'm having to wait a while to see a movie. That paragraph you just posted does no justice to the way the movie unfolds. And you may have just 'spoiled' it for those who have not yet seen the movie. :(
Is it a fantasy? Yes. Maybe fable is a better word...and IMHO it was fabulous.
If you just hate fantasy, maybe this movie isn't for you, but please don't make your decision based on those plot spoilers.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Ballerina » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:10 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Ballerina, I'm sorry that you read some synopsis on Shape of Water that provides only a Cliff Notes take on the movie.
Spoilers on plot points are something I try to avoid, even if I'm having to wait a while to see a movie. That paragraph you just posted does no justice to the way the movie unfolds. And you may have just 'spoiled' it for those who have not yet seen the movie. :(
If you just hate fantasy, maybe this movie isn't for you, but please don't make your decision based on those plot spoilers.

No I didn't use any plot spoilers. I went on wiki and also a couple of other critiques of the movie. I didn't post anyone else's words - just my own. And most likely, people will be more curious about the film because of what I wrote. I'm sure people research these things before they go see any movie. I'll definitely watch it when it comes on TV but won't spend money to watch it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shape_of_Water_(film)

Of the 9 movies nominated, I saw Dunkirk, Darkest Hour, Three Bridges, and Get Out. I would have been pleased if any one of the first 3 were awarded Best Picture. Get Out was one great big waste of time, in my opinion - of course.
Ballerina

Postby Catalina » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:24 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Ballerina, I'm sorry that you read some synopsis on Shape of Water that provides only a Cliff Notes take on the movie.

Still plan to see it, even though Ballerina regrettably provided a "summary of the storyline". It IS less enjoyable when you know up front how it all will end.
Catalina

Postby Ballerina » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:30 pm

Catalina wrote:

Still plan to see it, even though Ballerina regrettably provided a "summary of the storyline". It IS less enjoyable when you know up front how it all will end.

Sorry about that - I just assumed (bad thing to do) that people check things out before they go see a movie. It's becoming so expensive.
Ballerina

Postby starrydreamer » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:51 pm

Catalina wrote:

Yep, add me to the "haven't seen it but still will even if the basic plot was spoiled" boat.

I wait until movies hit an online streaming service. It's difficult to go out to the theater when you have a kid with medical needs beyond what a usual basic babysitter can provide. I saw most of last year's Best Picture nominees that way (still in love with Arrival, by the way).
starrydreamer

Postby Ballerina » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:54 pm

Gimme me a break this this "spoiled plot" accusation. Reviews of this film with the entire plot have been on the internet since last Fall. Where the heck do you think I got it being that I hadn't seen the movie?
Ballerina

Postby stark » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:12 pm

FWIW.....going into the movie house I had a pretty good understanding of the plot line for Dunkirk, The Post and The Darkest Hour, didn't seem to ruin it at all for me. ;)
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Postby Catalina » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 pm

stark wrote:FWIW.....going into the movie house I had a pretty good understanding of the plot line for Dunkirk, The Post and The Darkest Hour, didn't seem to ruin it at all for me. ;)

Advantages of historical movies.
Catalina

Postby Ballerina » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:02 pm

stark wrote:FWIW.....going into the movie house I had a pretty good understanding of the plot line for Dunkirk, The Post and The Darkest Hour, didn't seem to ruin it at all for me. ;)

Pretty much Three Billboards, as well.
Ballerina

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:25 am

All the reviews I saw didn't spill some of the specific details you wrote, Bal. Maybe there are people who want to know the complete sequence of events in a movie, but neither I nor anyone I know want to know that much.
This is a fantasy, not the Titanic, so, yeah, you spoiled some of the movie's surprises. If you feel compelled to do that with a movie in the future, could you please write SPOILERS TO FOLLOW before you do? Please? :(
BaroqueAgain1

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around