The movie thread

The movie thread

Postby peeptoad » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:46 am

Seen any good movies lately? Recent or older... who cares?

I watched Oblivion a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't go in with low expectations exactly, but I was anticipating another content-less, eye-candy, sci fi action film and there was actually some thought-provoking content in this one. I also normally do not care for Cruise, but his character was decent, if not entirely memorable overall. On my ranking scale it gets a 7.5/10.
peeptoad

Re: The movie thread

Postby Prairie Bayou » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Good to know. I was wondering how that movie was. :D

I'm STILL pimping The Mortal Instruments City Of Bones. Went to see it again. Love it still! :D No it's NOT TWILIGHT revamped. Nothing against Twilight. I liked it a lot.
Last edited by Prairie Bayou on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Postby BlindLucky » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:17 pm

I went to see The World's End yesterday. What a fun movie! The only thing I was disappointed in was the fact that I spent $13 on a matinee ticket and a small drink. So expensive.

I loved how the movie totally spirals out of control, and who knew that some of the most entertaining fight scenes this year would include Simon Pegg and Nick Frost :D
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby Prairie Bayou » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 pm

If you like The World's End then I also suggest Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz which have the same comedy duo with Simon Pegg. Hilarious!
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
Prairie Bayou

Postby BlindLucky » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:If you like The World's End then I also suggest Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz which have the same comedy duo with Simon Pegg. Hilarious!

Oh yeah, I've seen them a billion times! I actually went to see Shaun of the Dead in the theater three times because half the audience was drunk the first two times I went, and they laughed and clapped so loud that I missed 75% of the dialogue :D

And I wondered how they were going to fit Cornetto into The World's End. It was near the end, and everyone giggled :)

I heart Simon Pegg.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby War Admiral » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 am

I went to see The Family on Saturday. It was pretty good but not nearly as funny as I was expecting. If you like mafia movies you'll like it but don't go if you expect a lot of dark comedy.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
War Admiral

Postby Le Beau Bai » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Has anyone seen Insidious 2 and is it actually scary? I'm debating whether to go or not but I don't want to waste my money on a film that isn't scary!
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Le Beau Bai

Postby peeptoad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:57 am

Le Beau Bai wrote:Has anyone seen Insidious 2 and is it actually scary? I'm debating whether to go or not but I don't want to waste my money on a film that isn't scary!

I tend to stay away from PG-13 horror films, except in rare cases... most of them I don't find scary, but scary is very subjective.
peeptoad

Postby Le Beau Bai » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:08 pm

peeptoad wrote:
Le Beau Bai wrote:Has anyone seen Insidious 2 and is it actually scary? I'm debating whether to go or not but I don't want to waste my money on a film that isn't scary!

I tend to stay away from PG-13 horror films, except in rare cases... most of them I don't find scary, but scary is very subjective.

Its rated as a 15 in the UK (18 being the highest) so I will probably give it a miss. I love horror films but I just don't find them scary to the point of making me jump anymore. I think they make too many slasher type films now as opposed to building the tension!
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
Le Beau Bai

Postby peeptoad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:20 pm

Le Beau Bai wrote:
peeptoad wrote:

Its rated as a 15 in the UK (18 being the highest) so I will probably give it a miss. I love horror films but I just don't find them scary to the point of making me jump anymore. I think they make too many slasher type films now as opposed to building the tension!

I agree- I vastly prefer building tension in horror films, as opposed to "jump scares", which are not truly "scares", but rather "startles". I consider them to be a cheap way of getting a rise out of the audience, but not actually good filmmaking.

I don't think it's horror (more thriller), but you might want to check out Gravity when it releases (not sure when that is in the UK). It's getting good reviews, should be tense and uncomfortable (given the subject matter), plus the director is a very good filmmaker. It's on my agenda, for sure...
peeptoad

Next

Return to Horsin' Around