The movie thread

Re: The movie thread

Postby peeptoad » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 am

Tessablue wrote:Ugh, right? I was supposed to have NIH funding and now it's just frozen, if not entirely slashed. Meanwhile, people I've talked to at the NSF have heard literally nothing and are not certain whether they should intervene to point out that they actually exist. I picked one hell of a time to graduate. Just hoping to end up with a job before we lose an entire generation of scientists.

So on that cheery note, I'd genuinely like to wish you the best... it's rough out there, and all we can do right now is support each other and keep trying.

Thanks, TB. And good luck to you, too.
Like Som said I'm not terribly worried about it; have an interview this morning actually so fingers crossed on that. It would be half the commute I currently have as well. The times they are a-changing, but everything is fluid. I lost my job 3 weeks before 9/11 and it took me almost a year to find full time employment again and I survived. We'll all be fine. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOaXTg3nAuY
peeptoad

Postby peeptoad » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:49 am

Oh, and so as not to derail this thread totally: I rewatached Carnival of Souls last night. Bam! Still one of my favorites!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bUePiQJJCI

peeptoad

Postby peeptoad » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:31 am

April is B&W month... nothing but extremes!
I recommend Mr Sardonicus, which I watched last night. One of the best I've seen yet from the venerable William Castle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou4Xidb3fVE
peeptoad

Postby Starine » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 pm

By the way, has anyone else seen Logan?

I like most of the X-Men movies, but I was blown away by how well done and poignant it is. It's not just good for a superhero movie; it's a good movie, period.
Starine

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Logan is the best "X-Men" movie I think they've ever made. And If it weren't a 'genre' flick, IMO both Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart would get noms for acting awards.
I'm seeing Ghost In the Shell tomorrow; I'll post my opinion later.
BaroqueAgain1

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Ghost in the Shell is a very cool movie, with extraordinary visuals. Really liked it.
Some of the criticisms about casting and changes from the original anime don't really matter, unless those items matter to you more than the overall quality of the movie.
IMHO, some of the way it's changed makes it a more cohesive movie, especially for those who aren't fans of the original material.
That said, one thing that I did think was both unnecessary and unwieldy was...

SPOILERS, sort of....

The whole mother bit. While illuminating the Major's back story was important to expose the depth of the bad guy's villainy, shoehorning "Motoko" into the denouement just felt...awkward?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Insane Crazy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:34 pm

Making a POC character white, but then like..."asianizing" that white actress? Yuck. I'm glad the movie is alright and everyone is welcome to enjoy it as they see fit, but yeah, that matters to me more than the movie.

It will never cease to amaze me the hoops Hollywood will jump through just to avoid casting one of the many outrageously talented actors of color available to them. Womp.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Insane Crazy

Postby Somnambulist » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:08 pm

Uhm. Have you ever watched GITS?

Because the major is a kind of a cyborg. A kickass robot, but a white prosthetic body. There isn't even anything remotely Asian looking about her. This isn't like she was black and they casted her as white. Her body was made to look a specific way from it's designer so she better blended in and looked a certain way. Her name is clearly not white but the major most definitely has a fake body that can construed as white. Her features give nothing away.

I've seen probably well over 100 anime titles in my life (although none recently, and the number I have seen is not something to be proud of) and truly, they look so white. Which is odd and a convo in amongst itself but why they even felt the need to Asian-ize Scarjo is even more weird, since the major was a robot.

The real wonder here is why anyone would watch a live-action movie of an anime. They're all dreadful. The sales for them are dreadful. They needed a hot chick to bring some reason for people to show up to it. Scarjo sucks but she is hot.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Good point, Som. Maybe because she went by 'Motoko' and had black hair, many critics assume she must have been Asian? But the way she was drawn was not very specific, as far as ethnicity goes.
IIRC< Division 9 was a pretty multi-cultural unit, especially for the year GITS first came out. There were several agents who were definitely not Asian. Don't see why the casting for the movie had to become such a diversity-expectation issue. :roll:
BaroqueAgain1

Postby Somnambulist » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:33 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Good point, Som. Maybe because she went by 'Motoko' and had black hair, many critics assume she must have been Asian? But the way she was drawn was not very specific, as far as ethnicity goes.
IIRC< Division 9 was a pretty multi-cultural unit, especially for the year GITS first came out. There were several agents who were definitely not Asian. Don't see why the casting for the movie had to become such a diversity-expectation issue. :roll:

It has been long since I have watched GITS but no one really knows the Major's background right? Regardless shes a cyborg! It's not even her real body. It's a synthetic.

And it's like everything else right now. It's amazing. Everyone claims to be so progressive but they're not mad over the need to sexualize women to sell this movie. It's just easy to be upset with what everyone else is.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
Somnambulist

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around