The movie thread

Tessablue
Posts: 3390
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:52 am

Ballerina wrote:
stark wrote:Flipped on GET OUT last night, didn't know anything about it ahead of time and I swear the description on HBO said "comedy"

Somebody please explain any humor, thanks.

Academy awards Best actor? Best movie?
don't think so.
Another creepy movie. I watched it to the end hoping it had some redeeming quality. It did not. It was as bad as watching Passage to India.
Is there an Oscar for "least surprising opinion"?
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:02 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Ballerina wrote:
stark wrote:Flipped on GET OUT last night, didn't know anything about it ahead of time and I swear the description on HBO said "comedy"

Somebody please explain any humor, thanks.

Academy awards Best actor? Best movie?
don't think so.
Another creepy movie. I watched it to the end hoping it had some redeeming quality. It did not. It was as bad as watching Passage to India.
Is there an Oscar for "least surprising opinion"?
Yeah, you'd win it.
stark
Posts: 3861
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:36 pm

stark wrote:Flipped on GET OUT last night, didn't know anything about it ahead of time and I swear the description on HBO said "comedy"

Somebody please explain any humor, thanks.

Academy awards Best actor? Best movie?
don't think so.
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... bes-comedy
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:11 am

Tessablue wrote:
Ballerina wrote:
stark wrote:Flipped on GET OUT last night, didn't know anything about it ahead of time and I swear the description on HBO said "comedy"

Somebody please explain any humor, thanks.

Academy awards Best actor? Best movie?
don't think so.
Another creepy movie. I watched it to the end hoping it had some redeeming quality. It did not. It was as bad as watching Passage to India.
Is there an Oscar for "least surprising opinion"?
Agreed.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Ballerina wrote:
stark wrote:Flipped on GET OUT last night, didn't know anything about it ahead of time and I swear the description on HBO said "comedy"

Somebody please explain any humor, thanks.

Academy awards Best actor? Best movie?
don't think so.
Another creepy movie. I watched it to the end hoping it had some redeeming quality. It did not. It was as bad as watching Passage to India.
Is there an Oscar for "least surprising opinion"?[/quote]

Agreed.[/quote]

What is it with some of you who get all bent out of shape (no pun intended) when someone has a differing opinion?!~
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:31 am

Finally saw Blank Panther. :D :D :D
Very cool, kinetic, gorgeous to look at. Fine cast, dialogue with that bit of sass that Marvel does so well.
And very importantly, strong emotional context/content for the villain, something too many comic book genre movies (I'm looking at you, DC :P) gloss over or ignore.
nathan11
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 am

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:55 am

Watched a movie Secret Window recently. A great psychological thriller with Johnny Depp based on Stephen King’s book. Really like Depp as an actor and basically all the movies he plays at are memorable. There was this dark, mysterious house in the movie the main character worked at, actually looks quite similar to Depp’s 18 century villa in France which he bought in 2001 (yes, I googled, nothing unusual, just a villa with 6 additional cottages and 2 swimming pools in French Riviera :D )
I think this movie (Secret Window) is very underesimated, not so many people know about it, but I do recommend to watch it, if you like Depp and mystery thrillers.
User avatar
sweettalk
Posts: 1942
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:59 pm

i LOVE horror flicks. Get Out was "middle of the pack" kind of ok. not awful or anything, but definitely over rated.
Get out to Lenny’s for their big grand opening sale. Find eight government secrets and get a free kidnapping and personality reassignment so that you’ll forget you found them!
User avatar
Prairie Bayou
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 am
Location: Reisterstown, Maryland
Contact:

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:23 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Finally saw Blank Panther. :D :D :D
Very cool, kinetic, gorgeous to look at. Fine cast, dialogue with that bit of sass that Marvel does so well.
And very importantly, strong emotional context/content for the villain, something too many comic book genre movies (I'm looking at you, DC :P) gloss over or ignore.
By far my favorite Superhero movie. I took my nephews to see it. They loved it!!
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
User avatar
Prairie Bayou
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 am
Location: Reisterstown, Maryland
Contact:

Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:24 am

I watched The Beguiled. That is about it. Oh, and what a waste of acting talent.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:55 am

I love a really solid horror film and can get exceedingly picky about my choices. Get Out was something above and beyond. A truly magnificent first showing for a director and IMO a game changer for the genre, or at least a subset of it. Can't wait for more from Jordan Peele.

On the other hand, I am currently in the midst of watching The Fast & The Furious franchise, first time for my roomies and second time through for me. These movies are best consumed through the lens of being a superhero film -- pretty people whose powers are to drive fast and be relatively indestructible. I started watching them ironically and now I just have 100% buy-in. Dumb, exciting, over the top fun, with a surprising amount of attention paid to giving the characters real emotional depth and making you care about the "family." Ride or die, indeed.

Also watched Coco on a flight last night. Deeply charming and wonderful and absolutely near the top of my Pixar list. I cried so hard I was afraid of scaring the people around me.

ETA: Oh. And Black Panther was the bomb. 'Nuff said.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:I watched The Beguiled. That is about it. Oh, and what a waste of acting talent.
That's disappointing. It hit HBO Go and I was thinking of watching it.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:10 pm

Black Panther has broken so many records, but this is one I guess I never would have predicted. :shock:
'Black Panther' Expected To Formally Break Saudis' 35-Year Cinema Ban
The last time Saudis could walk into a commercial movie theater, buy a bucket of popcorn and settle in for a silver-screen spectacle, that film may well have been E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. Or Tron, maybe — or Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan? The point is, it's been an awfully long time since Saudi Arabia's ban on public cinemas took effect in 1983 — so long, in fact, the ban is older even than the ultraconservative kingdom's crown prince, along with two-thirds of his country.
But the formal end of the ban is in sight.
Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Culture and Information announced Wednesday that it has partnered with AMC to open up to 40 cinemas across the country in the next five years, with the first one set to open its doors in Riyadh on April 18. And according to multiple media outlets, that theater's very first film is one that's already well-acquainted with breaking new ground:
Black Panther.
Read more: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... cinema-ban
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:32 pm

Just got back from seeing The Quiet Place. A very intelligent and intense film; it's been called horror but I think of it more as a thriller. It's gotten rave reviews from Steven King and others, and now I know why.

My advice: See it like I did, without researching the film first. It was more enjoyable not really know what the movie was about going in.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:20 pm

After the reviews I've read and the beautiful photos from the film that I've seen, I'm just waiting for The Rider to make it to a local theater.
stark
Posts: 3861
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:08 pm

I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9337
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Thu May 10, 2018 12:41 am

If you have found yourself yearning for a movie that's not a huge, loud tent-pole extravaganza, I recommend The Rider.
It's a slow, poignant story with a charismatic lead, who is basically being himself. Brady Jandreau plays a young Lakota cowboy who is trying to find his way after a rodeo injury puts his future as a rider at risk.
The cinematography is gorgeous, but it's the horses who reveal the heart of the story. The footage of Brady working with unbroken colts is damn impressive, since Jandreau actually WAS the trainer for the movie and all the training he does on camera is real.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3045
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Thu May 10, 2018 1:18 am

Starine wrote:Just got back from seeing The Quiet Place. A very intelligent and intense film; it's been called horror but I think of it more as a thriller. It's gotten rave reviews from Steven King and others, and now I know why.

My advice: See it like I did, without researching the film first. It was more enjoyable not really know what the movie was about going in.
The butler did it. :-)
User avatar
Miesque1973
Posts: 237
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Thu May 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Saw Solo, saw Avengers: Infinity War. Can't wait for The Incredibles 2 & the latest Jurassic Park movie (Lost Kingdom?).

Solo was okay, I guess. I'm not a big sci-fi fan and was never terribly into the Star Wars thing, but it was entertaining.

The Avengers movie was almost tiresome. I mean, it was okay, but geesh, what a bummer ending. Of course, sitting through the credits to get to the little scenelette was almost as long as the movie itself. I told the guy next to me that I had started to look for my own name.

And now I'm watching an old episode of Gunsmoke. Mainly because I can't find the remote control.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
User avatar
starrydreamer
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If you have found yourself yearning for a movie that's not a huge, loud tent-pole extravaganza, I recommend The Rider.
It's a slow, poignant story with a charismatic lead, who is basically being himself. Brady Jandreau plays a young Lakota cowboy who is trying to find his way after a rodeo injury puts his future as a rider at risk.
The cinematography is gorgeous, but it's the horses who reveal the heart of the story. The footage of Brady working with unbroken colts is damn impressive, since Jandreau actually WAS the trainer for the movie and all the training he does on camera is real.
I listened to an NPR interview of Brady Jandreau - I think it was on Fresh Air. It was super interesting.
Post Reply