The movie thread

User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:47 pm

Just because her character is a cyborg doesn't mean casting a white person (who has plenty of awesome roles to her name!) in the lead of a movie based entirely off of an extraordinarily Japanese work, not to mention art form isn't uncomfortable and odd. Especially when her character is, as I understand it, supposed to be blending in in Japan. The point stand that are so many people they could cast in a role like this, and they chose a literal nordic lady. Who, to be clear, I LOVE, but yeesh. You can call me whatever you want, but putting white leads in movies based on anime works is a tried and true tradition, and it's literally the easiest opportunity to change the fact that a tiny fraction of speaking roles go to Asian actors. Knowing how the casting process works for films across the board, it's super frustrating.

Not any less weird that her character's "young" version is played by a Japanese actress.

I also disagree that anime characters look white. They look so stylized they don't look like much of anything tbh...though my most recent anime consumption was Yuri on Ice, which I'm not proud of, but even the Russians looked more Japanese than white, lol. But the fact remains that they are produced by and for a non-white audience, and nothing about them makes me think they're intended to be cast majority white.

And lmao, Som, I'm always mad about having to sexualize women and twist stories into something different to sell media. But I'm also mad about rampant racism in Hollywood. That's my secret! I can be mad about a lot of things. ;)
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Somnambulist
Posts: 7382
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:09 pm

It reads worse than I intended,. Anime is not something white people invented but it does a good job representing everyone.

It's honestly not even her real body. It's a prosthetic. It really can't even matter how she is cast when it's not even her real body. That doesn't look any which way other than white skin in the anime and no color in the manga so I guess this is lost on me. The major isn't trying to blend into Japan. She's thought have been older and when her original body fell apart they just placed her in a younger one.

Everyone can be mad about many things. Im probably a pro. But here I guess I respectfully agree to disagree with at least parts.

Anime is produced just as much for Americans than people living in Japan. The amount of money America pumps into the industry is insane. So it's made for everyone - even if we all don't have huge eyes and F cups.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:15 pm

Somnambulist wrote:So it's made for everyone - even if we all don't have huge eyes and F cups.
Pfft. Speak for yourself. Lol.

It's "made for everyone" sure, just like any industry is. But we already have *so many* works that feature white actors across the board. I'm okay with letting anime and it's spin offs (though I agree with you that live action animes are NEVER GOOD. I mean, let it go, Hollywood. Part of the power in the stories is so often the art, anyway) be not so, and tbh, I don't trust the reasoning behind casting ScarLo. You might've cast her, or someone else, because of cool reasons about how her cyborg form was crafted. But this guy?

Image

Nope, not really.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:16 pm

Utterly unrelated though:

STAR WARS.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
sweettalk
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:33 am

Insane Crazy wrote:Making a POC character white, but then like..."asianizing" that white actress? Yuck. I'm glad the movie is alright and everyone is welcome to enjoy it as they see fit, but yeah, that matters to me more than the movie.

It will never cease to amaze me the hoops Hollywood will jump through just to avoid casting one of the many outrageously talented actors of color available to them. Womp.
but then disney made BH6 extremely multi-racial and people were angry that it wasn't an all-asian cast, so trying to make everyone happy with racial diversity looks impossible. (i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, just saying that you can't ever make anyone happy. however, disney stated that, contrary to rumours, the live action mulan WILL be all chinese, as it should be, and i bet people will get angry over that too.)
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:55 pm

sweettalk wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote:Making a POC character white, but then like..."asianizing" that white actress? Yuck. I'm glad the movie is alright and everyone is welcome to enjoy it as they see fit, but yeah, that matters to me more than the movie.

It will never cease to amaze me the hoops Hollywood will jump through just to avoid casting one of the many outrageously talented actors of color available to them. Womp.
but then disney made BH6 extremely multi-racial and people were angry that it wasn't an all-asian cast, so trying to make everyone happy with racial diversity looks impossible. (i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, just saying that you can't ever make anyone happy. however, disney stated that, contrary to rumours, the live action mulan WILL be all chinese, as it should be, and i bet people will get angry over that too.)
I don't remember that backlash specifically, though I'm not surprised it existed. I would rather more earnest though potentially problematic attempts at diversity, though, than just sticking to the "safety" of white actors. Of course, anyone who gets angry over Mulan being all Chinese (Eddie Murphy can voice Mushu, I suppose) needs to get their noggin on straight. Yikes.

Again, unrelated: my fourth viewing of Magic Mike XXL today was just as excellent as the first. I unironically love this movie.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9697
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:38 pm

"...disney made BH6 extremely multi-racial and people were angry that it wasn't an all-asian cast..."

Seriously? Big Hero 6 was set in a mythical cross between San Francisco and Tokyo (not to mention it was an animated fantasy :? ), so why wouldn't the population of that city be diverse?
People. :roll:
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Insane Crazy wrote: Again, unrelated: my fourth viewing of Magic Mike XXL today was just as excellent as the first. I unironically love this movie.
Haha, I really enjoy those movies too. I'm not terribly interested in the beefcake or dance scenes, but the direction and production are fascinating and the movies have a really unexpected tone.

Also: STAR WARS.
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:57 pm

Tessablue wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote: Again, unrelated: my fourth viewing of Magic Mike XXL today was just as excellent as the first. I unironically love this movie.
Haha, I really enjoy those movies too. I'm not terribly interested in the beefcake or dance scenes, but the direction and production are fascinating and the movies have a really unexpected tone.

Also: STAR WARS.
I haven't actually seen the first one -- XXL was recommended to me for being surprisingly fun, and I fully agree. The dance scenes are whatever (though on my first viewing...woof), but I actively enjoy how oddly...earnest it is? They're just a bunch of dudes who really love each other and are passionate about their work. That work just happens to be stripping. Plus, they unabashedly show lots of different types of people feeling sexy and fun, which is awesome. I think this is one of the few movies I can say is firmly in the "female gaze," but that seems to also include just letting male characters shed any shred of masculine ego and just have fun and be cool people.

Plus. Like. Channing Tatum is shaped like a thumb and the opposite of my usual type, but he could toss me in the back of his truck and drive me to the beach any time.

Again: S T A R W A R S.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Tessablue
Posts: 3412
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:29 am
Location: Boston

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:07 pm

Insane Crazy wrote: I haven't actually seen the first one -- XXL was recommended to me for being surprisingly fun, and I fully agree. The dance scenes are whatever (though on my first viewing...woof), but I actively enjoy how oddly...earnest it is? They're just a bunch of dudes who really love each other and are passionate about their work. That work just happens to be stripping. Plus, they unabashedly show lots of different types of people feeling sexy and fun, which is awesome. I think this is one of the few movies I can say is firmly in the "female gaze," but that seems to also include just letting male characters shed any shred of masculine ego and just have fun and be cool people.

Plus. Like. Channing Tatum is shaped like a thumb and the opposite of my usual type, but he could toss me in the back of his truck and drive me to the beach any time.

Again: S T A R W A R S.
The first movie is actually surprisingly dark, so I'd recommend it as an interesting contrast. The second one is much more of a hangout movie but I enjoyed it because of exactly what you described. It's a movie with essentially zero stakes, which is pretty refreshing. And yeah, Channing Tatum does nothing for me appearance-wise but he's really charming, both in those movies and in real life (apparently).

Star Wars
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:36 pm

One of my favorite things to remember is that Magic Mike XXL and Mad Max: Fury Road came out the same year. 2015 was a blessed time.

I forget how much I care about Star Wars until another trailer comes and I'm trying to explain why I'm crying to normal people. It never works.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4001
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:07 am

I saw It last weekend and really enjoyed it.

I found it plenty scary but it also surprised me by how many funny moments it also contained.
User avatar
Ballerina
Posts: 3048
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:22 pm
Location: Chesapeake, VA & Saratoga, NY

Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:51 am

Saw American Assassin. But for Michal Keating, I HATED this movie.
User avatar
Insane Crazy
Posts: 3028
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 am

Starine wrote:I saw It last weekend and really enjoyed it.

I found it plenty scary but it also surprised me by how many funny moments it also contained.
These...are GAZEBOS.

I thought It was phenomenal. Way better than I expected. It was much more than a spooky movie, they did a wonderful job making it more of a Goonies-style romp with a lot of texture to it. I know that's sort of how it goes with It, but you never know what to expect. Super impressed with this director, who only had one additional full-length feature to his name beforehand.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Noamare
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:48 am

Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:28 am

Jeraelin wrote:I liked the movie Operation "Casino" I love excitement I like to take risks and place bets. I often bet on the horses and this is due to my love for online bets Crown of Egypt slot
in my opinion it is more interesting to bet on horses when you follow the horse for its victories and gambits you can make a good forecast :idea:
User avatar
serenassong
Posts: 4696
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:36 pm
Location: Connecticut

Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:59 pm

What did everyone think of Justice League? I almost wish they had done the stand alone movies for all the characters first- just alot of backstory questions for me. While you did learn a bit about The Flash, Cyborg, and a bit more about Aquaman- I felt let down. My understanding is that the Aquaman movie and the next Wonder Woman are in the works. Ive seen some reports that they may not do separate movies for The Flash and Cyborg because of the numbers from Justice League.

Wonder Woman was outstanding- Gal Gadot is doing a spectacular job

Patiently waiting for some more eye candy time with Jason Momoa as Aquaman :D
I think he fits the role well - and an interesting non-traditional Aquaman from earlier incarnations.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
TapitsGal
Posts: 794
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:09 am

I’m going with a friend to see pitch perfect 3 Monday afternoon and now I want to see I,Tonya and Molly’s Game
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9697
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:39 pm

Finally saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi this week. What a great addition to the world of '...long ago, in a galaxy far, far away...!'
It has a lot of emotional scenes, but there is one between Mark and the late Carrie Fisher that is just so.... :cry: If it doesn't yank your heartstrings, then IMHO your heartstrings are busted. :P
BaroqueAgain1
Posts: 9697
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:24 pm

Just saw The Shape of Water, and Del Toro's fable is fabulous. Very deserving of all its nominations and awards.
I want to praise the differently-wonderful and scary characters, but I'm afraid to give anything away about them. ;)
stark
Posts: 4011
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:19 am

Flipped on GET OUT last night, didn't know anything about it ahead of time and I swear the description on HBO said "comedy"

Somebody please explain any humor, thanks.

Academy awards Best actor? Best movie?
don't think so.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Post Reply