The movie thread

peeptoad

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:46 am

Seen any good movies lately? Recent or older... who cares?

I watched Oblivion a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't go in with low expectations exactly, but I was anticipating another content-less, eye-candy, sci fi action film and there was actually some thought-provoking content in this one. I also normally do not care for Cruise, but his character was decent, if not entirely memorable overall. On my ranking scale it gets a 7.5/10.
Prairie Bayou

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:18 pm

Good to know. I was wondering how that movie was. :D

I'm STILL pimping The Mortal Instruments City Of Bones. Went to see it again. Love it still! :D No it's NOT TWILIGHT revamped. Nothing against Twilight. I liked it a lot.
Last edited by Prairie Bayou on Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
BlindLucky

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:17 pm

I went to see The World's End yesterday. What a fun movie! The only thing I was disappointed in was the fact that I spent $13 on a matinee ticket and a small drink. So expensive.

I loved how the movie totally spirals out of control, and who knew that some of the most entertaining fight scenes this year would include Simon Pegg and Nick Frost :D
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
Prairie Bayou

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:27 pm

If you like The World's End then I also suggest Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz which have the same comedy duo with Simon Pegg. Hilarious!
"AND ALYSHEBA AMERICA'S HORSE HAS DONE IT!!!" ~ Tom Durkin 1988 Breeder's Cup Classic
BlindLucky

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Prairie Bayou wrote:If you like The World's End then I also suggest Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz which have the same comedy duo with Simon Pegg. Hilarious!
Oh yeah, I've seen them a billion times! I actually went to see Shaun of the Dead in the theater three times because half the audience was drunk the first two times I went, and they laughed and clapped so loud that I missed 75% of the dialogue :D

And I wondered how they were going to fit Cornetto into The World's End. It was near the end, and everyone giggled :)

I heart Simon Pegg.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
War Admiral

Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 am

I went to see The Family on Saturday. It was pretty good but not nearly as funny as I was expecting. If you like mafia movies you'll like it but don't go if you expect a lot of dark comedy.
Government is not the solution to the problem. Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan.
Le Beau Bai

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Has anyone seen Insidious 2 and is it actually scary? I'm debating whether to go or not but I don't want to waste my money on a film that isn't scary!
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
peeptoad

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:57 am

Le Beau Bai wrote:Has anyone seen Insidious 2 and is it actually scary? I'm debating whether to go or not but I don't want to waste my money on a film that isn't scary!
I tend to stay away from PG-13 horror films, except in rare cases... most of them I don't find scary, but scary is very subjective.
Le Beau Bai

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:08 pm

peeptoad wrote:
Le Beau Bai wrote:Has anyone seen Insidious 2 and is it actually scary? I'm debating whether to go or not but I don't want to waste my money on a film that isn't scary!
I tend to stay away from PG-13 horror films, except in rare cases... most of them I don't find scary, but scary is very subjective.
Its rated as a 15 in the UK (18 being the highest) so I will probably give it a miss. I love horror films but I just don't find them scary to the point of making me jump anymore. I think they make too many slasher type films now as opposed to building the tension!
Formally ELPHIE!
"There's more than one way to fly"
In Memory Of Our Racehorses - https://www.facebook.com/inmemoryofourracehorses
peeptoad

Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:20 pm

Le Beau Bai wrote:
peeptoad wrote:
Its rated as a 15 in the UK (18 being the highest) so I will probably give it a miss. I love horror films but I just don't find them scary to the point of making me jump anymore. I think they make too many slasher type films now as opposed to building the tension!
I agree- I vastly prefer building tension in horror films, as opposed to "jump scares", which are not truly "scares", but rather "startles". I consider them to be a cheap way of getting a rise out of the audience, but not actually good filmmaking.

I don't think it's horror (more thriller), but you might want to check out Gravity when it releases (not sure when that is in the UK). It's getting good reviews, should be tense and uncomfortable (given the subject matter), plus the director is a very good filmmaker. It's on my agenda, for sure...
serenassong

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:21 am

Saw that Dark Shadows was on one of the movie channels, so decided to watch for a bit. Big mistake. Did not like that AT ALL. The only things that I though were true was the house and the scenes of the ocean hitting against the rocks. And the worst part was, no Quentin, which I'm sure they would have messed up anyway.

For those of you who don't know about Quentin- here's a bit of eye candy for ya
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... LbfrSTifAA
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
PJMIII

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:15 pm

War Admiral wrote:I went to see The Family on Saturday. It was pretty good but not nearly as funny as I was expecting. If you like mafia movies you'll like it but don't go if you expect a lot of dark comedy.
My bride and I went to see it on Monday. We both thought it was a good movie. With that cast it's hard for a movie to be good..
Man o Taz

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:24 pm

peeptoad wrote:Seen any good movies lately? Recent or older... who cares?

I watched Oblivion a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't go in with low expectations exactly, but I was anticipating another content-less, eye-candy, sci fi action film and there was actually some thought-provoking content in this one. I also normally do not care for Cruise, but his character was decent, if not entirely memorable overall. On my ranking scale it gets a 7.5/10.
Me too. I actually think Cruise is a talented actor who was robbed for a Best Actor award in Born on the Fourth of July.
And Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse.... Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword. Oh, horse.
-Bedouin Legend

Give to Old Friends, or your favorite local horse rescue.
Catalina

Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:27 pm

One of our local theater chains is showing a series of classics, and so I had the pleasure of watching Casablanca on the big screen. Amazingly, with wonderful image quality. What a movie, even this many years later! :)
serenassong

Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Catalina wrote:One of our local theater chains is showing a series of classics, and so I had the pleasure of watching Casablanca on the big screen. Amazingly, with wonderful image quality. What a movie, even this many years later! :)
One of our local parks did a summer series for this- it was a great success- sitting under the stars and watching these movies. Cant tell you how many times I have seen some of them, but enjoy them each and every time.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
Pan Zareta

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:33 pm

Counting down the days until "Rush" opens. Only one more week of waiting.
prides2259

Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:33 pm

we saw The Butler the other night very very well done pretty ture to the
history of the time the acting was excellent highly recommend

heidi (ny)
pointgivenfan

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:56 am

There's a new Hobbit trailer...

...with Smaug talking.

Excuse me while I go work on bringing myself back to the Land of Coherent Folk.
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
Ballerina

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:25 am

"The Descendents" (George Clooney) has been on tv premium channels quite a bit the past month. I've watched it several times. Great movie.

Waiting for October 11. Can't wait to see Tom Hanks in Captain Phillips

trailer - https://www.google.com/search?q=tom+han ... BS_enUS305
serenassong

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:58 am

pointgivenfan wrote:There's a new Hobbit trailer...

...with Smaug talking.

Excuse me while I go work on bringing myself back to the Land of Coherent Folk.
Head implosion in 3,2,1...

Been waiting awhile for that one.