Birding?

Re: Birding?

Postby ElPrado2 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:06 am

I have 2 great horned owls bickering across the street from each other from opposing trees. That lasts till daylight. For the last half hour or so the mourning doves start to get tuned up. Totally different voices. Some over eager baby dove tried to go flying yesterday. I have a Jack Russell. She stood 5 feet from it, it's mom and dad while they sat in a flower box yesterday morning, completely oblivious. If it isn't a rodent or an insulting lizard, various animals can hold the Mad Hatter's Tea Partyon the front lawn. She figured out about birds flying a long time ago.She looked right at them and barely twitched her ears. She was more interested in sniffing the morning news on the median strip.
ElPrado2

Postby Miesque1973 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:26 am

I don't know if you ever watched Frasier, but Eddie the Jack Russel developed a 'friendship' with a pigeon, in one episode. It was injured, so Niles and Martin brought it in to nurse it back to health. Eddie grabbed the wounded pigeon and ran off and ate it.

~Miesque
Vice does not change its character by becoming fashionable.
Miesque1973

Postby ElPrado2 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:25 am

I saw my first Swallow Tailed Kite yesterday. Unmistakable.
ElPrado2

Postby ElPrado2 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:51 am

Something else I've seen for the first time. Two bald eagles playing in a cloud together. Swooping in and out of an early thunderhead. They swoop in, disappear for a moment, then spiral back out. Looked like lots of fun.
ElPrado2

Postby serenassong » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:54 am

Saw my first live Rose-breasted Grosbeak the other day.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
serenassong

Postby lurkey mclurker » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:12 pm

This is a completely mundane sighting, but... my 4th/5th summer school kids today saw a mama duck hidden in the ivy at the foot of the fence where we went to line up for our fire drill today. It's sad/amazing to see how excited they were, and to realize that it might have been the first time they'd seen an actual live duck.

They were so excited and outnumbered me 28-1 and I was trying to keep them back enough not to freak mama out and get my head count (not that anyone ever verified we were all accounted for, LOL) and I had just about managed it when mama made a break for it, followed by what seemed like a clown-car endless line of wee fuzzy yellow-and-brown ducklings. They just. kept. coming.

Of course THAT sent the kids all off into paroxysms of amazement and glee, but mama stayed calm and level-headed and just led the parade down the fence line to another patch of ivy.

I am so earning every cent of my summer school pay, I swear. :shock:
lurkey mclurker

Postby Flanders » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:34 pm

serenassong wrote:Saw my first live Rose-breasted Grosbeak the other day.

They are beautiful birds and their songs are lovely. They kind of sound like a robin but a much better singer.

We were working on my house the week before Memorial Day and the male Grosbeaks would sing to us and then make a mad noise because we were to close to the feeder. Then they just started coming down, regardless of where we were. The female was especially unafraid. I can't wait for when they bring their babies to the feeder.
Flanders

Postby ElPrado2 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Now I have something very large and very green living in a clump of oaks south if me. I saw it landing yesterday. Saw it flapping around this afternoon. I figure it for an escaped Military macaw. It definitely is equipped with a tail. In this area it can make plenty of veggie and fruit farmers pissed to the gills. You get a lot of escapees down this way. Lots of bird breeders. There's thousands of acres of strawberries in flying distance to the west. Oranges are just west of me. This is Fruit Salad USA.
ElPrado2

Postby BlindLucky » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:36 pm

I left my screen porch door propped open because during the non-buggy months, it's just easier to let the dogs out if the screen door is already open--they can go straight to the yard from the house instead of waiting impatiently on the porch for me to open that door, too.

A pair of little brown birds has sneakily made a home inside one of my wall-mounted candle lanterns ON my porch, so now I can't close the screen door until they're done. Moving the lantern involves a bunch of unmounting hardware, and mama is sitting on her eggs all the time--afraid if I move the whole thing they might abandon it, or not realize where I moved it to.

My dogs saw one of the birds fly into it the other day, so now they're obsessed with the lantern. This is turning out to be a giant pain in the ass over two little birds the size of salt and pepper shakers.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
BlindLucky

Postby lurkey mclurker » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:40 pm

Awww, but you are good to let them stay. Little brown birds FTW! <3
lurkey mclurker

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around