A reminder

a Flying Brick

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Prior to TBC going down I had posted the video of Pedigree Dogs Exposed.

Now three years later, what has changed? This is a follow up and believe it or not, there has been change. Not here in the U.S. but in the U.K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7RTsVfMHQk

the original is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMyqH_Q_iPY

I remain an advocate for ALL dogs .. including purebreds. So for those that are "facinated" by dog shows, please listen up. HOWEVER, does not mean all breeders subscribe to the horror. Want to make that totally clear. But what has been done in the name of showing/breeding is just heartbreaking. If judges did not put these dogs up we would not have the Frankenstein situation. Information/research is your best friend.
Ballerina

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:13 pm

As a breeder of Rhodesian Ridgebacks since 1972, I am beyond appalled at the comments made by the RSPCA representative about the ridge on the Ridgeback being a deformity. This man knows absolutely nothing about the heritage of this breed, and to say that the ridge serves no useful purpose is proof positive that he's full of hot air.

The Brits have gotten themselves into trouble with their dogs through years of over and inbreeding and being so arrogant as to refuse to admit dogs from other countries into their breeding programs. They made their bed. They shall lie in it.

Don't equate what is going on in Britain to what is going on in the U.S. Read through some of the standards of the breed and their Code of Ethics here in the U.S. Producers of dogs don't stay in the business long if they breed unsound animals.

The Code of Ethics of the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of the U.S., Inc.
http://rrcus.org/pdf/RRCUS_Code_of_Ethics.pdf

nowhere in that COE is anything mentioned about euthanizing a perfectly healthy puppy because it has no ridge. It happens infrequently as does the dermoid sinus. Why? Because we Ridgeback breeders here in the U.S. have breed away from lines tht produce ridgeless and dermoid sinus. If a ridgeless puppy occurs, it goes to a pet home with a solid spay/neuter contract. If a dermoid sinus occurs, it is operated on before it leaves the breeder and placed in the same type pet home.

This type of PETA backed propaganda angers me beyond anger when what is happening in England translates itself to the U.S. It doesn't.
Last edited by Ballerina on Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a Flying Brick

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:25 pm

It is absolutely going on in the U.S. and you know it !!! You've got the same reaction as the the Brit breeders ... I hear nothing, I see nothing, I do nothing. I call it the Schultz syndrome. What EXACTLY has the AKC done to stop the madness? The Brits have at least taken steps.

Can you assure me that all breeders who are showing the Ridgeback do not cull? And because someone said years ago that the Ridge somehow (unknown to anyone) made the dogs better hunters, those who are born perfectly healthy without one are disbatched. I'm not saying that you should be able to show a dog that does not have one, I'm just saying they shouldn't have to die for no other reason than NOT having one.
a Flying Brick

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Furthermore, this is not ALL about Ridgebacks. There are many breeds so badly affected and nothing is done by the AKC, and you have judges putting up these dogs .... well, I just could not in good conscience support it. If I saw steps taken to stop it ... would be different. The pug .. the bulldog .. the King Charles Spaniel ... the GERMAN Shepherd !! It's not ALL about Ridgebacks. It's about the ALL that are suffering in the name of breeding and showing.
Ballerina

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:34 pm

a Flying Brick wrote:Furthermore, this is not ALL about Ridgebacks. There are many breeds so badly affected and nothing is done by the AKC, and you have judges putting up these dogs .... well, I just could not in good conscience support it. If I saw steps taken to stop it ... would be different. The pug .. the bulldog .. the King Charles Spaniel ... the GERMAN Shepherd !! It's not ALL about Ridgebacks. It's about the ALL that are suffering in the name of breeding and showing.
How involved in dog showing are you to make such a blanket statement?
a Flying Brick

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:36 pm

I showed back in the 70's when I saw the writing on the wall on how unethical people were and how nobody was doing anything about it. It was bad back then, and I'm sure 100 x worse today.
Ballerina

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:52 pm

a Flying Brick wrote:It is absolutely going on in the U.S. and you know it !!! You've got the same reaction as the the Brit breeders ... I hear nothing, I see nothing, I do nothing. I call it the Schultz syndrome. What EXACTLY has the AKC done to stop the madness? The Brits have at least taken steps.

Can you assure me that all breeders who are showing the Ridgeback do not cull? And because someone said years ago that the Ridge somehow (unknown to anyone) made the dogs better hunters, those who are born perfectly healthy without one are disbatched. I'm not saying that you should be able to show a dog that does not have one, I'm just saying they shouldn't have to die for no other reason than NOT having one.
I know it, you say? How arrogant of you to make such a statement, but it is part and parcel of who you are, and I'm not afraid to take you to task for making such an outrageous statement. I repeat, "Any breeder breeding unsound dogs doesn't stay in the business long." I know of none such in the national club of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Our Code of Ethics is too strong.

As to supplying you with assurances, culling for ridgeless and dermoid sinus is passe. The ONLY time I know a Ridgeback breeder to cull is for health problems which can not be permanently corrected.

I have absolutely no idea what your purpose is to equate the problems the Brits are having with their dogs to the dogs here in the U.S. The vast majority of Breed clubs in Britain aren't required to do health tests. Not so here in the U.S., and if you would take the time to go through the various national club web-sites, you would find that health and soundness is priority with breeders who are involved in national breed clubs.

Let buyers beware and buy their dogs from reputable breeders who test for genetic defects. Anyone who buys from anyone or anywhere else is playing roulette. Mutts can be as unhealthy as pure-bred dogs if their ancestors are unhealthy.

Rail on all you want, but please get your facts straight instead of laying a blanket of shame on pure-bred breeders here in the U.S. By and large, the vast majority are reputable breeders.
Ballerina

Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:55 pm

a Flying Brick wrote:I showed back in the 70's when I saw the writing on the wall on how unethical people were and how nobody was doing anything about it. It was bad back then, and I'm sure 100 x worse today.
Well things have changed drastically since the 70's. You need to bring yourself up to date as to how involved breed clubs are involved in doing away with genetic defects. That wasn't going on in the 70's.
a Flying Brick

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Do you think I live in a vaccum? Geez Louise. Who are you BSing? me? not gonna happen.

I think the dude also mispoke re: deformity, although I allow him HIS opinion. But there is no doubt that it is a "mutation" and a risky one at that.

http://sloughi.tripod.com/preserving/ge ... idges.html

"The authors propose that it is a dysregulation of the FGF genes expression along the dorsal midline which leads to the ridge and a higher risk of dermoid sinus. They also state that their results have implications for the way ridged dogs could be bred, in that the dermoid sinus condition could be eliminated by allowing ridgeless dogs to breed with ridged dogs, while avoiding mating ridged dogs to one another."

You can twist and turn it anyway you want but show ring breeders of certain breeds (for sure) are no friend to the dog.

When you support something like this ... you're no friend either. You're just in your own little world - and don't want to see or acknowledge the surrounding horror.
Ballerina

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:44 pm

a Flying Brick wrote:Do you think I live in a vaccum? Geez Louise. Who are you BSing? me? not gonna happen.

I think the dude also mispoke re: deformity, although I allow him HIS opinion. But there is no doubt that it is a "mutation" and a risky one at that.

http://sloughi.tripod.com/preserving/ge ... idges.html

"The authors propose that it is a dysregulation of the FGF genes expression along the dorsal midline which leads to the ridge and a higher risk of dermoid sinus. They also state that their results have implications for the way ridged dogs could be bred, in that the dermoid sinus condition could be eliminated by allowing ridgeless dogs to breed with ridged dogs, while avoiding mating ridged dogs to one another."

You can twist and turn it anyway you want but show ring breeders of certain breeds (for sure) are no friend to the dog.

When you support something like this ... you're no friend either. You're just in your own little world - and don't want to see or acknowledge the surrounding horror.
Miss High & Mighty - the one who supports horse slaughter preaching about dog breeders supposedly culling healthy puppies. What a hypocrite.

You have an axe to grind and can't find a stone upon which to sharpen it so you make outrageous accusations based on nothing but your paltry experience in the 70's.

a Flying Brick

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:48 pm

I don't support horse slaughter. Your President does. I could NEVER in a million years support horse slaughter. You have me mixed up with someone else.
Ballerina

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:52 pm

a Flying Brick wrote:I don't support horse slaughter. Your President does. I could NEVER in a million years support horse slaughter. You have me mixed up with someone else.
Oh, well, then apologies. How does it feel being accused of something of which you are not guilty? You seem to have me mixed up with someone else, as well.

Who is my President? Surely you don't mean the present POTUS as he is NOT my President. The President before him helped ban horse slaughter.

Research breeding experiments have been done with ridgeless Ridgebacks. They can and do create dermoid sinus. And if you care to check it, dermoid sinuses have been reported in several other breeds as well, including the shih tzu, boxer, Siberian Husky, Chow ChOW, American cocker spaniel, Boerboel, Yorkshire terrier, English Springer Spaniel, Great Pyrenees, Wire fox terrier, and golden retriever. And they all do not have ridge along their spine.
a Flying Brick

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Ballerina wrote:
a Flying Brick wrote:It is absolutely going on in the U.S. and you know it !!! You've got the same reaction as the the Brit breeders ... I hear nothing, I see nothing, I do nothing. I call it the Schultz syndrome. What EXACTLY has the AKC done to stop the madness? The Brits have at least taken steps.

I know it, you say? How arrogant of you to make such a statement, but it is part and parcel of who you are, and I'm not afraid to take you to task for making such an outrageous statement. I repeat, "Any breeder breeding unsound dogs doesn't stay in the business long." I know of none such in the national club of Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Our Code of Ethics is too strong.

As to supplying you with assurances, culling for ridgeless and dermoid sinus is passe. The ONLY time I know a Ridgeback breeder to cull is for health problems which can not be permanently corrected.

I have absolutely no idea what your purpose is to equate the problems the Brits are having with their dogs to the dogs here in the U.S. The vast majority of Breed clubs in Britain aren't required to do health tests. Not so here in the U.S., and if you would take the time to go through the various national club web-sites, you would find that health and soundness is priority with breeders who are involved in national breed clubs.

Let buyers beware and buy their dogs from reputable breeders who test for genetic defects. Anyone who buys from anyone or anywhere else is playing roulette. Mutts can be as unhealthy as pure-bred dogs if their ancestors are unhealthy.

Rail on all you want, but please get your facts straight instead of laying a blanket of shame on pure-bred breeders here in the U.S. By and large, the vast majority are reputable breeders.
a Flying Brick

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:33 pm

Your memory must be a lil fuzzy from the 70s. It was back then that many genetic faults were coming to light. And I wouldn't call beating 102 dogs and earning a 5pt major from Open to go BOB in front of 500 people at the International .... "paltry".

I am not accusing you of anything other than putting your head in the sand when it comes to the AKC and unscrupulous show ring breeders and the judges that put their dogs up. Many of the judges were unscrupulous breeders themselves. Never ends. Instead of joining me in my disdain, you simply want to say ... doesn't exist. Not happening. Geesh, Bal ... you're such a kidder.
Ballerina

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:28 am

And you live in a world of misspeaks, misinformation, gossip, exaggeration, and innuendo.

I am sick to death to see the legions of ethical, pure-bred dog breeders who have struggled over the past 40 years to breed a healthy dog put down because you heard a few stories about unscrupulous behavior. Not saying there aren't some who exist, but they don't last - not if their breed club has anything to do with it. We have wide-spread communication now, and stories about bad breeders are soon brought to the attention of the public. As to judges, the process of becoming a judge is much stiffer now than it was when you supposedly showed to BOB at a National way back in the 70's.

Now I have a much more important task at hand today than to hang around arguing with you.

Carry on with that ax you're carrying around.
a Flying Brick

Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:47 pm

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2013/05/akc- ... -breeders/

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... n=20130515

http://www.examiner.com/article/today-s ... y-responds

^ All good reads. AKC is about ONE thing and ONE thing only. $$$ << that's it !!!

They went undetected for a long time, except now the lamb coat has come off the wolf and now the spotlight is on them and critics of all types, including breeders themselves are attacking for what has been long over due.

Regardless of what Bal is trying to dish, please remember it is important to do all your research.

Like REAL politics .. the dog show world is really nasty business ... you better have thick skin, and a willingness to be a "Schultz" (I know nothing, I see nothing).