Luck: The 2012 Fictional Horse Racing Drama Series From HBO

mchorseracecall

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:43 am

Tomorrow is the opening day of the Santa Anita Racetrack's Autumn Racing Meet, and this week I want to start a topic about the horse racing drama series, Luck. Luck is a 2012 fictional horse racing drama series from HBO starring Dustin Hoffman as Chester "Ace" Bernstein, Dennis Farina as Bernstein's left and right handed man Gus Demitriou, Nick Nolte as Walter Smith, the trainer and owner of the racehorse Gettin'Up Morning, Gary Stevens as the professional jockey Ronnie Jenkins. Supporting role in the series are Chantal Sutherland as the exercise rider Lizzy, Martin Pedroza as Rico Ramirez, the jockey of Pint of Plain, which is owned by Bernstein, but it was registered under Demitriou's name, and Santa Anita's race caller Trevor Denman as himself, in his real life job. The guest star in the series Luck are HRTV's racing analyst Peter Lurie (Episode 3), jockey Edwin Maldonado (Episode 6), and trainer Julio Canani (Episode 8). HBO's Luck contains nine episodes, which ended the series with a dramatic finish between the Escalante trained Pint of Plain and the Smith trained Gettin'Up Morning in the Western Derby from Santa Anita. Admin, racing fans, please feel free to make comments about the series! :idea:
KimmieB

Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:33 pm

I saw the box set at Costco and considered buying it. I didn't, not yet anyways.

Does the series abruptly end or did they wrap up story lines?
I know it was cancelled pretty quickly. I just don't want to invest the time just to be left wondering what happened after it ended.

Thanks

KB
mchorseracecall

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:09 pm

KimmieB wrote:I saw the box set at Costco and considered buying it. I didn't, not yet anyways.

Does the series abruptly end or did they wrap up story lines?
I know it was cancelled pretty quickly. I just don't want to invest the time just to be left wondering what happened after it ended.

Thanks

KB
Kim, after HBO announced that Luck is going to be cancelled, it was abruptly ended in the final episode from the one and only season with a dramatic finish between Pint of Plain, a horse trained by Turo Escalante (John Ortiz), and Gettin'Up Morning, a horse owned and trained by Walter Smith (Nick Nolte) in the Western Derby from Santa Anita, Bernstein's grandson escaped and he was being saved in the end. :idea:
KimmieB

Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:47 pm

Thank you.
If its still there, I'll give it another look.
Ballerina

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:02 pm

I watched 3 episodes. Hated it. Didnt make SA look good and certainly didn't do anything to draw fans to TB horse racing. We had an extended discussion about the series here on TBC when it first aired. Reviews were mixed.
mchorseracecall

Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Ballerina wrote:I watched 3 episodes. Hated it. Didnt make SA look good and certainly didn't do anything to draw fans to TB horse racing. We had an extended discussion about the series here on TBC when it first aired. Reviews were mixed.
What is the problem, Ballerina? Is it because the story of Luck mostly about race fixing and people who are scamming the Pick 6 wager from Santa Anita?
Ballerina

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:03 pm

mchorseracecall wrote:
Ballerina wrote:I watched 3 episodes. Hated it. Didnt make SA look good and certainly didn't do anything to draw fans to TB horse racing. We had an extended discussion about the series here on TBC when it first aired. Reviews were mixed.
What is the problem, Ballerina? Is it because the story of Luck mostly about race fixing and people who are scamming the Pick 6 wager from Santa Anita?
Yeah, such things exist in the sport but it's not the overall picture of the sport. You asked for an opinion. I gave it. Please don't argue with it. It's my opinion to which I am entitled. I did not like the series - case closed.
mchorseracecall

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:41 pm

Ballerina wrote: Yeah, such things exist in the sport but it's not the overall picture of the sport. You asked for an opinion. I gave it. Please don't argue with it. It's my opinion to which I am entitled. I did not like the series - case closed.
Ballerina, do you mind if I can ask the other racing fans who is their favorite character or who are their favorite characters in Luck?
Ballerina

Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:45 pm

mchorseracecall wrote:
Ballerina wrote: Yeah, such things exist in the sport but it's not the overall picture of the sport. You asked for an opinion. I gave it. Please don't argue with it. It's my opinion to which I am entitled. I did not like the series - case closed.
Ballerina, do you mind if I can ask the other racing fans who is their favorite character in Luck?

Why should I mind? It's a discussion - people are entitled to their opinions and should be able to talk about anything they want to talk about. Whether one agrees or disagrees with me matters not - it won't change my opinion of the show. It focused way too much on the negativity of the sport. It's a problem today - very few people want to accentuate the positives.
mchorseracecall

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:29 pm

Besides Ballerina, I want to ask the racing fans who is your favorite character or who are your favorite characters in the 2012 fictional horse racing drama series, Luck? Well, my favorite characters in Luck are Ronnie Jenkins, the character played by Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens, because of his victory aboard a horse named Emmett's Daddy in Episode 8, and Santa Anita's race caller Trevor Denman as himself in his real life job, Trevor did a fantastic job, providing the race call of all the Santa Anita racing scenes from Luck. So I want to ask who is your favorite character or who are your favorite characters in the 2012 fictional horse racing drama series, Luck? :idea:
Last edited by mchorseracecall on Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TapitsGal

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:46 am

I saw two episodes of Luck.I hated it.i thought the acting was bad, i couldn't really understand a thing Nick Nolte said and like the reasons Ballerina mentioned, i thought it potrayed racing in a bad light...not to mention the horses that were killed during filming the series(hence why it ended so suddenly...there were two?three? i forget horse deaths on set)
mchorseracecall

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:16 pm

TapitsGal wrote:I saw two episodes of Luck.I hated it.i thought the acting was bad, i couldn't really understand a thing Nick Nolte said and like the reasons Ballerina mentioned, i thought it potrayed racing in a bad light...not to mention the horses that were killed during filming the series(hence why it ended so suddenly...there were two?three? i forget horse deaths on set)
Tapitsgal, the reason why I enjoyed the show Luck is because I love all the Santa Anita racing scenes from the series, but my most favorite racing scene out of all the episodes is the dramatic finish between Rico Ramirez (played by jockey Martin Pedroza) on Pint of Plain and Ronnie Jenkins on Gettin'Up Morning in the Western Derby from Santa Anita. Although the story mostly contained about race fixing and people who are scamming the Pick 6 wager from Santa Anita, the only reason why I enjoyed HBO's Luck is because I love the racing scenes on that show. :idea:
a Flying Brick

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:03 pm

TV shows, movies etc. surrounding sports usually tend to involve/reveal the seedier side of the sport at some point. Some sports are more predisposed to that aspect right off the bat such as boxing for instance. It's only natural that any show or movie about racing would show the bad side as well as any good. That's just the real world. I can only imagine how any future "baseball" movies will portray the sport considering it is filled with doping of players. It will be a far cry from The Babe Ruth Story or The Lou Gehrig Story. Today where there are sports, people and money there is always going to be a seedy side. Talking with a person not too long ago they said they only watch feel good movies and all that ran through my mind was here is someone who tries to avoid not so feel good reality. If what goes on in Luck (cause I haven't seen it) reflects reality, then I would prefer that than to give me some fluffed up version of what racing is like. Luck is not there to promote the racing industry. It's a drama show.
sweettalk

Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:47 pm

wait a sec. aren't you the poster who flipped out because hollywood park was in a violent video game? a series all about horse racing that's actually only all about the bad stuff should pretty much turn you right off.

taking ball's side here. i wasn't unhappy in any way when it was axed.
a Flying Brick

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:00 pm

"wait a sec. aren't you the poster who flipped out because hollywood park was in a violent video game?" -- NOPE.

You maybe are looking for a comedy. Luck from what I understand is a drama. About people in the horse racing setting. Maybe it has comedic moments ... IDK.

"a series that's only about the bad stuff" - Do you know that for sure? cause I don't.
mchorseracecall

Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:07 pm

sweettalk wrote:wait a sec. aren't you the poster who flipped out because hollywood park was in a violent video game? a series all about horse racing that's actually only all about the bad stuff should pretty much turn you right off.

taking ball's side here. i wasn't unhappy in any way when it was axed.
Sweettalk, yes, I am the guy who posted the topic "Hollywood Park on Grand Theft Auto 5" on this website, and the reason why I enjoyed the series "Luck", is because I have passion about horse racing and I love watching all the Santa Anita horse racing scenes from the show. The reason why I watched "Luck" is for the racing scenes with the great race calls by Trevor Denman, the Santa Anita race caller who potrayed himself in his real life job. About the fact that the Hollywood Park Racetrack on Grand Theft Auto 5, it was truly unacceptable. I believe it's okay to put the Hollywood Park Racetrack on any horse racing video game. However, it's not okay to put the Hollywood Park Racetrack on a video game that contains violent such as bank robbery, stabbing, shooting, brawls, and people who are stealing vehicles, modified them, and raced them across the Los Angeles area.
Last edited by mchorseracecall on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horsefan

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:12 pm

I loved the show. I met John Ortiz at Belmont (the Turo Escalante character) and told him I thought it was great and was pissed it was cancelled. A couple things I didn't like - the Jill Henessy character is supposed to be a professional woman and she doesn't have the common sense to glove up for a backstretch ride? Also, the use of juicing and having a guest appearance of Bo Derek saying everything is OK was noticeably absent.
mchorseracecall

Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:30 am

As I said before my favorite characters in Luck are Ronnie Jenkins, because of his victory aboard Emmett's Daddy in a two-turn race from Santa Anita on Episode 8, and Santa Anita's race caller Trevor Denman as himself in his real life job, because of his fantastic job by providing the race call of all the Santa Anita horse racing scenes from Luck. Admin, racing fans, my question to all of you who enjoyed the series, "Luck", who is your favorite character or who are your favorite characters in the series? :idea:
mchorseracecall

Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:19 pm

Racing fans, I go into the next question. Some of my college classmates told me that Luck is like the horse racing version of The Godfather, do you agree with that statement? :idea:
Bookman

Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:38 pm

mchorseracecall wrote:Racing fans, I go into the next question. Some of my college classmates told me that Luck is like the horse racing version of The Godfather, do you agree with that statement? :idea:

No.
“I wish you could run the races with no jocks and just put chickens on ’em.” - Billy Gowan