Run?

Spahny

Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:40 pm

I'd really like to be a bird but running is a close second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn6k3gXCszE
Spahny

Tue May 26, 2015 7:53 pm

If you happened to catch the Mount Baldy stage of the AMGEN Tour of California bike race telecast on Preakness day (NBCSN) then you had the privilege of seeing the home base training locale of my halcyon days as a long distance runner. I've also ridden that course a hundred times or so... just not nearly so fast as those beautiful young freaks in tights.

They kept saying in the telecast that the cyclists were peaking on Mt. Baldy but that would take some burly legs to get a road bike up there especially considering there is no road to the actual peak at 10,100. Just rocky trails. They finished in Manker Flats, approximately 7,000ft, at the camp ground and around the corner from the Buddhist Zen Center. My bros; The Monks in flowing pink robes and sandals. Doing about 30k a day... We passed each other on the trails quite a lot back in the 80's - 90's.

This is of course why I have the knees I have today. Sort of ok but a bit sensitive at times. I'm a little beat up, sure... but I wouldn't trade the experiences for new knees. One day we all get the body and face we deserve. And anyway, what else was I going to do? With my anxiety disorder and panic attacks I was much more comfortable alone on the mountain trail before dawn on Saturday morning then I would ever be at a club on Friday night. So as it turns out the people who thought me crazy for the way I lived were not entirely wrong. It is interesting to me now that what was wrong with me led me to some of the most satisfying and fulfilling experiences of my life. I have to believe that is far from unusual.

My only regret is that I didn't race more. I'd really like to have some totally destroyed knees right now. Just think of the memories...

Scroll through the home page of Ultra Sign Up for a visual explanation as to "why run?". If you are so inclined, and a little screwed up, there isn't a more valid time waster I can think of than a good long trail run. I hope a couple of you get inspired... Peace.

http://ultrasignup.com/
Senator L

Tue May 26, 2015 8:07 pm

Sounds almost Zen like. I never ran until I joined the service. Yours looks a lot more serene for sure.Its one of
those things you just have to jump in and start doing. Do it every day and you'll love it more and more.
That's the hard part - starting. It is nice to read something someone is so passionate about
No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
Richard Sasuly
Spahny

Tue May 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Senator L wrote:Sounds almost Zen like. I never ran until I joined the service. Yours looks a lot more serene for sure.Its one of
those things you just have to jump in and start doing. Do it every day and you'll love it more and more.
That's the hard part - starting. It is nice to read something someone is so passionate about
The Monks asked for permission to run the trails from some higher authority I didn't understand. Maybe from the guy in the white robe? The experience was absolutely a form of meditation for them.

They were barefoot runners essentially in those sandals. Very much like the the Tarahumaran of Mexico who run in home made huarache sandals made from discarded old tires and leather straps.

The key to not hurting when running is to slow down a little. There's your Zen advise for the day.
SunKing

Thu May 28, 2015 9:49 am

Doing my first 5K in August and really excited for it. I run 2 miles a day most days so it should be easy. I wanted to start off small and maybe try to work my way up. I'm not trying to break records, just want to see if I can do it.

Running has really changed my outlook on things, clears my head, works off any frustrations of the day. There's a park I drive through to work every day that I've started working out at but lately it's been too warm and muggy so I usually stick to the gym.
Somnambulist

Thu May 28, 2015 9:53 am

SunKing wrote:Doing my first 5K in August and really excited for it. I run 2 miles a day most days so it should be easy. I wanted to start off small and maybe try to work my way up. I'm not trying to break records, just want to see if I can do it.
Do the treadmills at your gym have the 5k workout feature? You could at least get a rough estimate of your time then.
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
pointgivenfan

Thu May 28, 2015 10:20 am

SunKing wrote:Doing my first 5K in August and really excited for it. I run 2 miles a day most days so it should be easy. I wanted to start off small and maybe try to work my way up. I'm not trying to break records, just want to see if I can do it.
I was a bit concerned about the whole only running two miles bit until I realized the race itself is in August which is an eternity away in terms of what you can do in training up to it. If you stick to a solid schedule you should be able to get up to 5k sometime in June. :)
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
SunKing

Thu May 28, 2015 3:09 pm

pointgivenfan wrote:
I was a bit concerned about the whole only running two miles bit until I realized the race itself is in August which is an eternity away in terms of what you can do in training up to it. If you stick to a solid schedule you should be able to get up to 5k sometime in June. :)
A 5K is only 3 miles. And I'll probably walk some of it anyway.
Spahny

Thu May 28, 2015 8:24 pm

I recommend getting out there in it even if 'it' is uncomfortable... Especially since that's where the races are going to be. But I am a Californian... However if you've ever experienced the San Gabriel Valley in August you know how that could get...

There is not one perfect way to approach training. It's hard to get away from mileage for the endurance runner but just logging big mile weeks isn't always that productive. Variety can actually be more effective. There is something to be said, always, for short and fast. And don't look for improvement on your watch so much. I've always recommended that people not be such strict clock watchers, especially starting off. You're not competing with yourself and your personal course records. I didn't even wear a watch during a lot of my workouts. This is where I differ from conventional approaches. Most runners time everything including their PR running from this street sign to that crosswalk -- Down to the second. I believe that is an unhealthy obsession that usually leads to trouble.

I suggest looking for improvement in how well and quickly you recover from the works. Either in the individual workout, interval oxygen debt recovery for track repeats for example (for which I would recommend wearing a watch). But most importantly on the day to day basis. If you're wiped out the day after you need to adjust. The body breaks down. You are experimenting on it's tolerances. The idea is to enjoy and stay out there. Do that, you will improve.

I wasn't a track guy so my favorite thing was to hit the hills. Frank Shorter called hills "speed work in disguise". And stadium stair bounding is a big performance booster. I used a long concrete staircase that climbed from the maintenance building for Raging Waters to Puddingstone Drive. I hated that staircase. What a bitch.

And by all means; Race. You get a lot of fitness running with people.

There are a couple of YouTube channels for training tips for runners. Sage Canaday is a very good ultra runner and just missed qualifying for Olympic Trials at LA Marathon. His channel is Vo2MaxProductions. Sage is a professional runner but his advice is good for anyone at any level. You're just not likely to ever be quite as good as teacher here.

Sally Macrae is starting up a series called "Yellow". Sally is an incredibly strong woman runner. If you want a real trainer. This is her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BmrVgS3nfI
pointgivenfan

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:16 am

SunKing wrote:
pointgivenfan wrote:
A 5K is only 3 miles. And I'll probably walk some of it anyway.
I'm well aware of the distance. ;)
I'm also aware that if you have never gone past a certain distance, another mile is either cake or the worst thing ever, and it's better to find out which one that is well in advance of race day. I know you don't really care about time records, but two months is a lot of time and being able to do the whole 5k and saying "and I never stopped to walk, either, thank you!" is well within the realm of possibility for you at this point. But hey, you're the one running it. :)
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
SunKing

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:55 am

Well as it stands right now, I'm having serious issues with my right foot. So if I don't figure out what's wrong, I won't be running any 5Ks anytime soon anyway. :(
pointgivenfan

Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:01 am

SunKing wrote:Well as it stands right now, I'm having serious issues with my right foot. So if I don't figure out what's wrong, I won't be running any 5Ks anytime soon anyway. :(
That's the worst! I hope you get to the bottom of it and get it healed up soon.
dustino140

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 am

pointgivenfan wrote:
SunKing wrote:Well as it stands right now, I'm having serious issues with my right foot. So if I don't figure out what's wrong, I won't be running any 5Ks anytime soon anyway. :(
It would've been much punnier if you'd have said heeled up soon.
pointgivenfan

Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:35 am

dustino140 wrote:
pointgivenfan wrote:
If you say it out loud it sounds the same. :D
SunKing

Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:31 pm

dustino140 wrote:
pointgivenfan wrote:
Hahaha..it would have. Thanks, pgfan!
Spahny

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:01 pm

If it's plantar faciiitis you can try massaging the arch and heel with a golf ball a few times a day. I know that sounds simplistic but I've seen it work miracles. I do the golf ball massage on both arches routinely every night.

But if it's advanced very far then you might just be giving it a rest.
Spahny

Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:10 am

Another article on Kilian Jornet. The Philippe Petit of ultra runners.

Do not try this at home.

http://www.outsideonline.com/1927476/fk ... -new-sport
Spahny

Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:14 pm

The Western States 100 was run this weekend. The overall winner was Rob Krar. the defending champion. He missed the course record by 2 minutes, running 14hrs 48min.. That's an 8.52 per mile pace on mountain trails in about 100 degree weather.

Magdalena Boulet won the women's division in 19hrs 05 min..

Krar in 38 and Boulet is 41. On the age theme the 3rd place finisher, Jared Hazen is only 20 years old and that feels like it has to be a record for youngest to podium but I haven't heard. He looks like he's 14 and might be about 5 ' 2"...

The last person to finish was 70 year old Gunhild Swanson in 29.59.54... That's 6 seconds below the race cutoff of 30 hours.

If you want a lot of attention finishing a race like this you should either win it or run close to the cut off. To be 70 and beat the cut off by 6 seconds... she got a bigger reception that Krar did. And deservedly so.

https://twitter.com/iRunFar/status/6152 ... 48/photo/1
Spahny

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Story with a video of 71 Gunhild Swanson finish at WS 100.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/0 ... 14784.html
Spahny

Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:29 pm

A PBS documentary of the 2001 Western States 100. This would be an informative hour for anyone that is even slightly interested as to why someone would do something like this. It also explains the origin of the sport... It was a horse race.

A lot of colorful characters; First to last... And a good look at the incredible Ann Trason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Ie17DxiVM