Run?

Re: Run?

Postby Spahny » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:19 pm

Kilian Jornet won the Hardrock 100 for the 2nd year in a row; This time running 23:28 in the counter clockwise direction. He went off course a bit (not unusual for this race) and there was much more snow pack this year compared to last. 23:28 is also a course record for this direction of the race. Now he will attempt to break the speed record for Everest.

Running 100 miles at high altitude in the San Juan's was a training run. There is no better athlete in the world right now than Kilian Jornet.

The female winner is the Aussie Anna Frost. "Frosty" did something rarely done in ultra racing. She got passed and then re-took the lead late in the race to go on for the win. The woman she defeated was Darcy Piceu who was attempting to win her 3rd Hardrock in a row.

The interviewer is this clip is Megan Hicks, who also completed Hardrock. She was 7th in the woman's division and 57th overall. Frosty won the woman's race in 28:22 and she finished 8th overall.

The elevated legs is post race therapy to help the legs recover from the abuse of the previous day. It works. You are looking at 2 very tired women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=134&v=KIJYmLlc-7Y
Spahny

Postby Spahny » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:46 pm

Adam Campbell. 3rd for the 2nd year in a row at Hardrock.

This is the guy who was hit by lightning last year... Made the AP wire. So, naturally, he came back.

Good interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aynbBebrHyo
Spahny

Postby Spahny » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:35 pm

I just keep posting these bits for the 2 or 3 people that might be interested.

This is 2 time Western State's winner Rob Krar breaking the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim record. He aids the film maker in finding a focus for this short piece; Chronic depression, distance running and their relationship to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSQUXTiTa0M
Spahny

Postby Spahny » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:49 pm

This is a beautiful video about the most famous aid station in ultra running. Kroger's Canteen. Hardrock.

They're offering up tequila shots in those tin cups. It's mile 68 of the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLBA ... 5e7pr2Z6ZU
Spahny

Postby Spahny » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:04 pm

One time. While you're still young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJsZ08582To
Spahny

Postby Sham » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:29 pm

Spahny wrote:Kilian Jornet won the Hardrock 100 for the 2nd year in a row; This time running 23:28 in the counter clockwise direction. He went off course a bit (not unusual for this race) and there was much more snow pack this year compared to last. 23:28 is also a course record for this direction of the race. Now he will attempt to break the speed record for Everest.

After reading up on him a bit, I'm not surprised by the idea that he's going for a FKT on Everest (as I can only imagine he'll end up doing with every other 8k peak), and I can certainly see him trying for as many of those as attainable while he's at this level. Unfortunately that means that he's heading into situations that can simply kill him regardless of his ability, as happened to Brosse and countless alpinists. It's particularly insane to think that he's really not giving himself any opportunity to acclimatize in his Everest attempt by running all the way from the bottom of the mountain. Then again, I'd love to have a tenth of his ability.
Soto, Suni, Sham, whichever.
Sham

Postby Spahny » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:36 pm

FKT efforts are on the rise in the last few years. Scott Jurek set the Appalachian Trail record this summer covering 2180 miles in 46+ days.

John Muir Trail from Whitney Portal to Yosemite record has been broken 3 times in 2 years. Leor Pandilat holds the record for now at 3 days and 7 hours. About 230 miles.

The most impressive to me is Joe McConaughy's record for the 2650 mile Pacific Crest Trail that spans the continental U.S. from Mexico border to Canada. He averaged 50 miles a day for 53 days and 6 hours.

http://www.runforcolin.com/

It seems that verification is still a big issue in these efforts. Even with GPS it's still better to have on the ground witnesses to the effort and not just the people in your support crew. Some runners and thru hikers hand out cards with email addresses to send in and state you "saw me here and this date and time".

I think the attraction to all of this is the very high probability of failure.

For Kilian there is a real possibility of meeting his maker in the high country. He's already lost a good friend on one of these ventures. Stephane Brosse was swept away in an avalanche while accompanying Kilian on his Mount Blanc ascent.

There is some amazing stuff going on out there that few are aware of. Average people doing the extraordinary, like the over weight book worm turned Pacific Crest Trail female record holder Heather Anderson. 60 days and 17 hours.

Kilian is the tight rope walker. Who knows how long it can last?
Spahny

Postby pointgivenfan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:43 am

Went to the Chicago Marathon yesterday for some friends who ran it (one ran a 4:13 for his first time ever and didn't even look like he ran when he got back to the tent...) and definitely caught the bug.
"I am the man who with the utmost daring discovered what had been discovered before." - G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy.
Avatar: Goldikova - 2010 Prix de la Foret, copyright yours truly. =)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/timstephansen/
pointgivenfan

Postby Spahny » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:11 pm

Sham wrote:
Spahny wrote:Kilian Jornet won the Hardrock 100 for the 2nd year in a row; This time running 23:28 in the counter clockwise direction. He went off course a bit (not unusual for this race) and there was much more snow pack this year compared to last. 23:28 is also a course record for this direction of the race. Now he will attempt to break the speed record for Everest.

After reading up on him a bit, I'm not surprised by the idea that he's going for a FKT on Everest (as I can only imagine he'll end up doing with every other 8k peak), and I can certainly see him trying for as many of those as attainable while he's at this level. Unfortunately that means that he's heading into situations that can simply kill him regardless of his ability, as happened to Brosse and countless alpinists. It's particularly insane to think that he's really not giving himself any opportunity to acclimatize in his Everest attempt by running all the way from the bottom of the mountain. Then again, I'd love to have a tenth of his ability.

It was the attempt to cross Mont Blanc Massive in 2 days that took his close friend, Stephane Brosse. Kilian watched him fall to his death when his friend got too far out on a cornice and went down in an avalanche. It sounds like an amateur mistake but I saw some video of that crossing and they were in high winds and snow drifts up to their necks on steep mountain passes.

It's entirely possible that Kilian will not meet his end by withering away in an assisted care facility. That seems more of a tragic end than disappearing on a high mountain pass. But if that is how it goes for Kilian Jornet it won't be due to carelessness. He prepares with the same brilliance he races with.

The things he does really remind me a bit of the the walk that Philipe Petit took in January of 1974. You don't step off safe and solid ground on to the high wire without a whole lot of preparation first. Assuming you wish to walk back at some point.

Everest was called off. He and his team went to Nepal as scheduled but decided to lend a hand in aid of the earthquake victims rather than attempt the record. If someone is looking for something not to like about this very uncommon athlete they will almost definitely be left wanting. He is 27 years old and concerned more about the suffering of others than of his own ambitions.

No announcement yet on a new date for the Everest record attempt.
Spahny

Postby Spahny » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Barkley.

A race for people who seek certain failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-V8x0hQXA4
Spahny

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around