Run?

Re: Run?

Postby Starine » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:59 pm

Since my team is on a two-month winter break (ending in January) I've been running more supplemented with some weightlifting once or twice a week.

I've actually felt that running more often lately has decreased my enjoyment of it, or maybe it's just that it's winter so that everything is brown and grey, cold and wet and ugly. Whenever it's warm, green and sunny I can't wait to get outside, but lately I've really had to drag myself out there (although having the dog as a running partner helps).

Anyway, once I select a new gym I'd really like to get back to roller derby three times a week, weightlifting twice and running maybe three times a week max. I think I'm happiest and most eager when I'm cross training and things are fresh and varied.
Starine

Postby Spahny » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:15 am

Kilian Jornet was unable to complete the Everest attempt this summer.

So here is how he relaxes in the winter season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eVBrMcflDE
Spahny

Postby Spahny » Tue May 09, 2017 9:41 pm

I understand that very few people will choose to sit through this.

Gary Robbins has now failed two years in a row to finish The Barkley. What is The Barkley? See the Net Flix documentary. Barkley: The Race That Eats It's Young. In 30 years only 16 men have completed all 5 loops. No woman has ever finished the race. In 2017 Gary Robbins failed for the second year in a row when he made a wrong decision and went off course on the 5th and final loop with only 2.5 miles to the finish line. He is dis-qualified for going off course but he also got to the finish line 6 seconds over the cutoff time. It's believed by the race organizers that he ran 3 miles further by going off course, so if he had stayed on course he would have made to the finish under the cutoff and become one of the few to finish the race. It was heart breaking. The first video link is a short news segment of his finish. The second link is an hour interview about the experience... For anyone interested on what a guy like this is made of. Hint; He's your neighbor and best friend.

He will be back to Tennessee to try again. Most likely next year. Very few people will know of it. So I will spread the word a little here. Gary Robbins is a grunt of the highest order. He plays a game with which very few are familiar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdbt-yLdWao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phN7VUHQLe4
Spahny

Postby Starine » Wed May 10, 2017 9:05 pm

I saw that documentary!

By the way, Spahny, have you ever participated in a ride & tie?
Starine

Postby Spahny » Thu May 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Starine wrote:I saw that documentary!

By the way, Spahny, have you ever participated in a ride & tie?

No but I've heard of it. And at this point the only way I would get 100 miles would be on the back of a horse.

I forgot to mention in the original post that John Kelly did become the 15th liftetime finisher of the Barkley in 2017. I believe it was his second attempt. For some reason most of the world was focused on Gary Robbins failure to complete the course. But since The Barkley is about failure (if it is about anything at all) then that is understandable.
Spahny

Previous

Return to Horsin' Around