NASCAR - 2016

PJMIII

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:17 am

Matt Kenseth wins at New Hampshire

Matt Kenseth just might win a championship with a touch of dominance, not dullness.

Kenseth has firmly defended the style of his 2003 championship, stating his one-win season in the final year before NASCAR made the move to the playoff-style Chase format was as meaningful as all the titles collected by Jimmie Johnson or Tony Stewart.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... chase-race
Last edited by PJMIII on Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThreeMustangs

Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:02 am

If Kenseth wins the championship this year, does that mean NASCAR will change the format again?
PJMIII

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:24 pm

Jimmie Johnson wins 6th Cup title

Soaked in sweat, champagne and success, Jimmie Johnson celebrated yet another NASCAR championship by sipping a beer.

A six-pack would have been more appropriate.

Back on top with only two NASCAR legends left to catch, Johnson won his sixth title in eight years Sunday to stake his claim as one of the most dominant competitors in sports history. Now looming large in Johnson's windshield is the mark of seven titles held by Richard Petty and the late Dale Earnhardt.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... ampionship
PJMIII

Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:37 pm

Jimmie Johnson: 'Yes, I am an athlete'

Hey, Donovan McNabb, in case you didn’t hear, Jimmie Johnson insists he is an athlete.

McNabb, as part of the daily panel on the “Fox Sports Live” show on Fox Sports 1, said Friday night that Johnson, NASCAR's six-time Sprint Cup champion, is not an athlete.

“He’s not an athlete,” said the former NFL quarterback. “He sits in a car. … What athletically is he doing?”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/stor ... k-hendrick
ThreeMustangs

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:31 pm

I like Jimmie, but I am getting awfully tired of seeing him win the championship.
PJMIII

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:25 am

NASCAR planning Chase changes

Winning might just mean everything in the Sprint Cup Series going forward.

According to a report in the Charlotte Observer, NASCAR is planning an overhaul of its points system that makes it a virtual lock for drivers to reach the Chase for the Championship by posting a win during the season's first 26 races.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... nts-system
PJMIII

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:54 am

PJMIII wrote:NASCAR planning Chase changes

According to a report in the Charlotte Observer, NASCAR is planning an overhaul of its points system that makes it a virtual lock for drivers to reach the Chase for the Championship by posting a win during the season's first 26 races.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... nts-system

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... nts-system[/quote]
NASCAR’s new Chase proposal just another gimmick

NASCAR wants to radically change its championship format. Again.

The NASCAR spin will try to convince everyone that a sport that stands still, that doesn’t change, is a sport that falls behind. The reality is that a sport that changes its fabric so often — beyond adding a team or two, the most successful sports rarely change their formats — is a desperate sport, an insecure sport trying to manufacture a recipe for excitement instead of organically relying on its natural flavor.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/stor ... id%3D43209
ThreeMustangs

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Yeah, I'm kinda scratching my head on this one.
ChampionCurlin

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:10 pm

What a mistake. Did they even think this out at all? The last race shootout scenario is a joke. Certain teams and owners clearly have a jump at Homestead, giving them a huge advantage. The championship should never come down to track bias. And I get trying to reward winning more, but devaluing consistency is not the way to go about it.
ThreeMustangs

Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:34 pm

Not a points race, but it's nice to see the cars back on the track at Daytona. Need a cheat sheet to tell who's who with all the driver changes.
ChampionCurlin

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:23 pm

Bummed that Kenseth is out, but this race is pretty hilarious. Must be the full moon. Jimmie Johnson spins out on his own, Matt Kenseth, who rarely causes wrecks, accidentally takes out half the field (literally) and then the pace car catches on fire during a caution lap! Good thing this isn't a points race.
ChampionCurlin

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:29 pm

And Denny wins!! Go Gibbs!
ThreeMustangs

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:59 am

Boy, was that race a cluster. Doesn't bode well for the 500.

And the 3 comes back and wins the pole? How convenient...

(Excuse the off-topic post, but how about them Gators? Trying not to get too excited, but they're looking awfully good. Yes, I am an alumna).
ChampionCurlin

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:52 am

A lot of the drivers after the race said the new race package allows the cars to suck up and close gaps a lot faster than before, which explains why Matt cut in front of Joey. He just didn't expect him to be there that fast.

I have mixed feelings on bringing back the 3. I understand it was RCR's number before Dale ever came along, and it is Childress's choice whether or not to use it, but Dale is what that number is remembered for. As long as someone who isn't Dale (or Dale Jr.) drives it, it will become just another number on the track, and I think that is where most fans' fear stems from. They don't want it to lose association with Earnhardt.

And it is convenient for the 3 to have won the Daytona 500 pole first year back. However, if NASCAR wanted to fix things for the good of the sport, they'd be ensuring Junior wins a couple races a year, which he doesn't. So I'll leave my tinfoil hat be for now.

About them Gators :D Men's basketball is kicking ass this season. So too are our gymnastics ladies. Sloane and Kytra Hunter are fantastic. It's almost an off-day if they don't score perfect 10's at their meets. It's shaping up to be a good year for Gator sports. Hopefully our football team can live up to it this season. We have a great incoming class, so no excuses this year. Unless half our team goes out with injuries again...
PJMIII

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Earnhardt Jr. Wins Second Daytona 500

Through rain and wrecks, on Daytona's longest day, this was a drought Dale Earnhardt Jr. was determined to end.

NASCAR's most popular driver won the Daytona 500 for the second time -- a decade after his first victory -- to snap a 55-race losing streak dating to 2012.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... aytona-500
PJMIII

Sun May 11, 2014 1:30 pm

Jeff Gordon wins at Kansas

At any age, Jeff Gordon sure knows how to win.

Nearly two decades after he burst onto the scene with his first victory, Gordon keeps taking checkered flags, storming to the lead in the final laps at Kansas Speedway on Saturday night for his first victory of the season and 89th overall in NASCAR's top series.

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... s-speedway
PJMIII

Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:47 am

NASCAR has new rule to keep drivers in cars under yellow

NASCAR announced a new rule Friday governing driver behavior under caution in the wake of the incident in which Tony Stewart struck and killed Kevin Ward Jr. in a sprint car race.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... /14100643/
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:32 pm

It's unfortunate that NASCAR has had to institute a written rule to keep a driver from getting out of his car...let alone walking out onto a track that is still full of fast-moving, unpredictable race cars. :shock:
One would think that any driver knows that things can happen very quickly out on a track..and that humans can't always react fast enough to move in time.
But...it's kind of the way it goes in NASCAR...making changes (like safety equipment) AFTER a tragedy. :(
dustino140

Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:57 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:It's unfortunate that NASCAR has had to institute a written rule to keep a driver from getting out of his car...let alone walking out onto a track that is still full of fast-moving, unpredictable race cars. :shock:
One would think that any driver knows that things can happen very quickly out on a track..and that humans can't always react fast enough to move in time.
But...it's kind of the way it goes in NASCAR...making changes (like safety equipment) AFTER a tragedy. :(
I'm confused. On one hand, you seem to be saying that this is a common sense rule and anybody with half a brain should follow regardless of whether the rule exists or not. But then you take a shot at NASCAR by seemingly insinuating that a tragedy has to occur for something to change.

Regardless, I don't understand the comparison. The tragedy didn't happen at a NASCAR event, so while, yes, they are instituting a new rule, had this been a NASCAR rule 2 weeks ago, conceivably nothing would have changed.
ChampionCurlin

Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:32 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:It's unfortunate that NASCAR has had to institute a written rule to keep a driver from getting out of his car...let alone walking out onto a track that is still full of fast-moving, unpredictable race cars. :shock:
I don't think it's fair to single out NASCAR in that respect. Tragedies happen in all sports. It would be impossible to predict and prepare for everything that could go wrong. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to bring an issue to light. NASCAR has done a great job regarding safety the past few years. Regarding the Kevin Ward incident, drivers in all series are told to remain in their cars and not let emotions get the better of them. From that point on, drivers have to take responsibility for their own actions. Putting it in the rule book doesn't guarantee that a driver will follow it. If they are angry enough to approach a moving vehicle in the first place, a rule is not going to stop them. I have no problem with drivers being forbidden to enter the racing groove, or walk up onto the track. It's needlessly dangerous and a boneheaded move. But things like flipping the bird, tossing a helmet, even simple finger pointing, can all be done without approaching the moving cars. I just don't like the part of the rule that states they can't get out of their cars period. That emotion has been part of the sport since its beginning. Those moments are played on all the highlight reels and have made for some of the most memorable moments in the sport. I think this rule is a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to what happened this weekend, which is disappointing because you can't compare the two sports. The Ward incident took place on dirt where the cars are sliding around. You cannot compare that to asphalt/concrete racing. Also, NASCAR has team spotters who tell the drivers what is happening on the track. Sprint car drivers do not have that advantage.

To summarize, I like this rule for dirt racing but not so much for asphalt racing.