Joey & Tuffy

Ballerina

Sat May 10, 2014 3:47 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:If Tuffy has come into season, I'd be careful using the term "hook up with his sister." :lol:
She'll be well gone out of season by the time they hook back up.
serenassong

Mon May 12, 2014 8:19 am

Ballerina wrote:Tuffy came in season. We couldn't take her on our trip to my high school reunion and then the trek up to Saratoga for 2 weeks - where we are now. We expect to be back home in Virginia on the 19th. Joey will be very happy to hook up with his sister again. Meanwhile, he tries to keep busy.

So, how many pieces is that toy in now- :D
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Ballerina

Mon May 12, 2014 9:09 am

serenassong wrote: So, how many pieces is that toy in now- :D
It's still in one piece - just a bit flat from Joey pulling out the stuffing.
EquineAnne

Wed May 21, 2014 6:51 pm

Gorgeous dogs. Congrats.
Ballerina

Tue May 27, 2014 8:22 am

Joey & Tuffy were reunited on May 19th - so happy to see one another after being separated for nearly 3 weeks. Bill took this photo yesterday, and it made me laugh out loud.

Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.

They do look like a couple of snobs in this photo, but they really aren't. Joey is like Joey in the TV sit-com FRIENDS, and Tuffy could be a MURPHY BROWN.

They celebrated their 2nd birthday on May 16th. My, my how time flies.

Joey is single pointed out with 10 pts. We're now going after those majors. Tuffy is back into the show ring and won Best of Winners over her brother at a dog show in Hampton, VA this past Friday.
serenassong

Tue May 27, 2014 9:57 am

I don't think that they look like snobs, just smart dogs that know what they want. :D

I tried to google around for the answer, but I was confused by what I read. I would assume that you are working towards their championship- how many more points and time frame do they have?

Got a kick out of reading that Tuffy beat her brother in a class.

Happy birthday to both of them, and yes, time does fly.
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
Starine

Tue May 27, 2014 1:26 pm

Do you ever do lure coursing with them?

Just got back from a long weekend in Tulsa with my friend's Ibizans. We did some lure coursing but the big successes were in the ring; her stud got a Best of Breed in a very tough group and her 9-month-old bitch got a major in her first show.

Where are your two going to show next?
Ballerina

Tue May 27, 2014 2:43 pm

15 pts. are needed for an AKC championship. Two majors must be won - a show of 3, 4, or 5 pts. Points are based on the number of dogs entered. Majors have been hard to come by of late. But we're going out to Charlottesville, VA this coming weekend. A 3 pt. major is at both the Saturday and Sunday shows. If so much as 1 dog doesn't show up, the major breaks and it goes down to 2 pts. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

We do intend to lure course them - most likely when they've completed their championships. I think Tuffy will be an excellent courser. Not sure about Joey, but he always winds up surprising me with things I think he can't do.
Last edited by Ballerina on Tue May 27, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starine

Tue May 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Ballerina wrote:15 pts. are needed for an AKC championship. Two majors must be won - a show of 3, 4, or 5 pts. Points are based on the number of dogs entered. Majors have been hard to come by of late. But we're going out to Charlottesville, VA this coming weekend. A 3 pt. major is at both the Saturday and Sunday shows. If so much as 1 dog doesn't show up, the major breaks and it goes down to 2 pts. We're keeping our fingers crossed.
Right -- something similar happened to my friend this weekend when another dog was excused from the ring after growling on the judge.
serenassong

Wed May 28, 2014 8:05 am

Ballerina wrote:15 pts. are needed for an AKC championship. Two majors must be won - a show of 3, 4, or 5 pts. Points are based on the number of dogs entered. Majors have been hard to come by of late. But we're going out to Charlottesville, VA this coming weekend. A 3 pt. major is at both the Saturday and Sunday shows. If so much as 1 dog doesn't show up, the major breaks and it goes down to 2 pts. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

We do intend to lure course them - most likely when they've completed their championships. I think Tuffy will be an excellent courser. Not sure about Joey, but he always winds up surprising me with things I think he can't do.
Thanks for explaining that- and hopefully you will be able to add the "Ch." in front of their names soon. Lure coursing looks like it would be fun to do with a dog.
Ballerina

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:47 am

The major broke - one dog didn't show up. We pulled Joey. Tuffy won Winners Bitch both days for a couple of points.
serenassong

Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:00 am

Ballerina wrote:

The major broke - one dog didn't show up. We pulled Joey. Tuffy won Winners Bitch both days for a couple of points.

Sorry about that- at least Tuffy got some more points.
Personal Ensign

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:49 pm

How are "The Little Darlings" doing in the show ring these days? Are they tormenting each other at home?
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
W. C. Fields

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
Ballerina

Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:01 am

Personal Ensign wrote:How are "The Little Darlings" doing in the show ring these days? Are they tormenting each other at home?
Joey has 10 pts. and Tuffy has 6. They both need two major wins (3, 4 or 5 pts.). It's been hard finding majors. When we do find one, it breaks because someone decides not to show up. We have one this coming Saturday - 5 pt. major for males and 4 pts. for females. It's in New Paltz, NY. It's good for us because we're heading up to Saratoga for the summer after the show. We're keeping our fingers crossed. Our next show is in Tunbridge, VT July 11th which should also be a major.

They're all grown up - 2-years old May 16. Haven't destroyed anything in quite some time. Their playful nature remains.

Personal Ensign

Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:21 pm

Bal,
They are so beautiful thanks for the update!!
Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
W. C. Fields

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
Ballerina

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:19 pm

zxc
Last edited by Ballerina on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ballerina

Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:59 am

It's been nearly 3 months since I posted any pics of The Little Darlings also known as the two big PITA's. BUT, we love them dearly and would happily do it over again.

Our beautiful Tuffy who definitely's GOT RIDGE.

Not sure if Tuffy is attempting a head stand or just a plain ol' somersault, but Joey dutifully looks on.

Tell me the truth - does my breath smell?

We may be brother and sister, but we're also the very best of friends.

Starine

Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:50 pm

Hey Bal,

Have you ever seen or met a Thai Ridgeback? Just curious since I know you go to a lot of shows and meet a lot of people. I'm kind of fascinated by them.
Ballerina

Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:52 am

Starine wrote:Hey Bal,

Have you ever seen or met a Thai Ridgeback? Just curious since I know you go to a lot of shows and meet a lot of people. I'm kind of fascinated by them.
I've not seen one yet and haven't seen any at the AKC shows I've been at. They are recognized by the AKC and have been assigned to the Hound Group, the same as the Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Other than the ridge, the resemblance to the Rhodesian Ridgeback stops there. It's relationship to the Rhodesian Ridgeback is speculative at best. DNA tests are being done to find out if the source of the breed is the same - the Hottentot Dog - the wild ridged dog of Africa.

From Wikipedia -

The origin of the Thai Ridgeback is undocumented, but the breed was developed in eastern Thailand. The history of the breed is the subject of numerous hypotheses.

The other existing purebreeds of ridgeback dog are the Rhodesian Ridgeback from Africa and the Phu Quoc Ridgeback from Vietnam, which is somewhat smaller than the Thai Ridgeback. Based on genetic-based hypothesis, both Thai Ridgeback Dog and Phu Quoc Dog are likely to be descended from Funan Ridgeback Dog which originated over 1,000 years ago in Funan Era of the region. The Hottentot Dog or Ari Dog (as called by the tribe), a known African ridgeback ancestor of the Rhodesian Ridgeback, is now extinct. Its link to the Funan Ridgeback Dog is very likely in a historian opinion. The possible genetic connection among the three remaining breeds is being investigated through DNA studies.

The relationship between the Thai Ridgeback and the Rhodesian Ridgeback is uncertain, but possible through the Hottentot Dog or Ari Dog. There is minimal scientific proof that they are related.
Ballerina

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:47 pm

We had to say goodbye to Willow today. What a good girl she was,