This Date In History

Blue Jeans

Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:50 am

Today, Sept. 19, 2013. There are 103 days left in the year.

On September 19, 1982, the smiley emoticon was invented as Carnegie Mellon University professor Scott E. Fahlman proposed punctuating humorously intended computer messages by employing a colon followed by a hyphen and a parenthesis as a horizontal "smiley face." :-) :D [info from my today's newspaper]
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. ~ Cowboy saying

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers
Catalina

Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:19 pm

And then there's newspaper columnist Mike Royko who was born on this date in 1932. Known - among other things - for his quote about the internet: "It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Retrospectiv

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:02 pm

Catalina wrote:And then there's newspaper columnist Mike Royko who was born on this date in 1932. Known - among other things - for his quote about the internet: "It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
LOL, thanks for my new Twitter tag. Yoink! :D
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Catalina

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
Catalina wrote:And then there's newspaper columnist Mike Royko who was born on this date in 1932. Known - among other things - for his quote about the internet: "It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway,' but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
LOL, thanks for my new Twitter tag. Yoink! :D
Oh, good! It's far too neat a one liner to vanish into the mists of history.