Winter Olympics watch

Re: Winter Olympics watch

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:29 am

Yeah, when I saw that the fall-a-lot Russian scored higher than Adam, it took me back to the bad old days when Russian opinions ruled the judging panels. :(
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8452
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: Winter Olympics watch

Postby starrydreamer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Yeah, when I saw that the fall-a-lot Russian scored higher than Adam, it took me back to the bad old days when Russian opinions ruled the judging panels. :(


Uh, yeah. The problem is that attempted quads, even if they aren't landed cleanly, gather more points than a cleanly landed triple. Seems silly to me.

But hey, Mirai Nagasu landed her triple axel! She's had so much trouble with nerves over the years that it was so great to see her skate with such confidence. Even if the Russian girl did blow her score out of the water.
User avatar
starrydreamer
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:51 am

Re: Winter Olympics watch

Postby Delamont » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:A seventeen-year-old (Red Gerard, IIRC) just won gold in Men's Slopestyle. I think in a dangerous event like this, it probably helps to be so young that fear hasn't yet pitched a permanent tent in your mind.



That boy is amazing!
User avatar
Delamont
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Re: Winter Olympics watch

Postby lurkey mclurker » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:35 pm

And to bookend it, 17-year-old Chloe Kim wins gold in the women's halfpipe, with teammates Arielle Gold for bronze & Kelly Clark in fourth.
lurkey mclurker
 
Posts: 1831
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Winter Olympics watch

Postby Starine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 pm

starrydreamer wrote:Uh, yeah. The problem is that attempted quads, even if they aren't landed cleanly, gather more points than a cleanly landed triple. Seems silly to me.


This.

And how about that Chloe Kim?! She is everything they said she was, and then some.
User avatar
Starine
 
Posts: 3610
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Winter Olympics watch

Postby stark » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:07 pm

Why do we need to know about the love lifes of Adam Rippon and Gus Kenworthy?

Is that newsworthy?

I remember back about 20 years or so there was an urgent blast from the Olympic Village.....the big fishbowl in the athlete's lobby that was stocked with FREE condoms is now empty! That was just about enough news for me, thanks.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 2805
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Winter Olympics watch

Postby Catalina » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:23 pm

Starine wrote:
starrydreamer wrote:Uh, yeah. The problem is that attempted quads, even if they aren't landed cleanly, gather more points than a cleanly landed triple. Seems silly to me.


This.

And how about that Chloe Kim?! She is everything they said she was, and then some.


The whole new scoring system seems so obtuse that it is unintelligible to most casual watchers, it's where the sport lost its audience.
Catalina
 
Posts: 3016
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:08 pm
Location: South Texas

Re: Winter Olympics watch

Postby stark » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Catalina wrote:
The whole new scoring system seems so obtuse that it is unintelligible to most casual watchers, it's where the sport lost its audience.


Especially if you're color blind lookin at those little boxes!
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark
 
Posts: 2805
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Winter Olympics watch

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 pm

Hate to admit it, but the pair from North Korea can really skate. However, she is TINY! She's built like a child on puberty blockers. :oops:
BaroqueAgain1
 
Posts: 8452
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:16 pm

Re: Winter Olympics watch

Postby lurkey mclurker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:01 am

They had a great skate. :mrgreen: (the phalanx of cheerleaders creeps me out though, can't lie :? )

Both Chinese pairs were fabulous too. <3
lurkey mclurker
 
Posts: 1831
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Horsin' Around

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests