The VENT Thread

Tessablue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 am

stark wrote: My guess is that a few of you will just keep going on being miserable, unable to set and achieve life goals, and then die before you even know what happened.

If I could see just one person move out of expensive locales into a more reasonable cost of living,
or just one person to go back to school for the degree they really want,
or just one person to better understand business from the employer's point of view,

then I think I'd know of somebody who will be happier than they are today.

Anything would be an improvement over the never ending complaining, life's short!
Hahahaha oh man, you really don't know! I can't decide whether or not to tell you, but thank you for the genuine laugh, I was hoping to get something like this out of you. Suffice it to say that you have nothing to offer, and all of us knew that from the start. Kudos for dropping all pretense and going straight for the "you'll die miserable" route, but I think we all know who's most miserable here.
stark

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:03 am

Tessablue wrote: but I think we all know who's most miserable here.
I'll guess Somnambulist.

What did I win?
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:10 am

Tessablue wrote:Kudos for dropping all pretense and going straight for the "you'll die miserable" route
Here's a fun exercise, try writing your obit and see how it sounds to you.
Remember, you have to tell the truth and most obits are pretty positive in nature.

If you need help you might find it here http://www.legacy.com/news/advice-and-s ... n-obituary
Tessablue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:19 am

Honestly, if you keep going at this rate it's just going to read "died of irony." This is amazing.
Somnambulist

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 am

stark wrote:
Tessablue wrote: but I think we all know who's most miserable here.
I'll guess Somnambulist.

What did I win?
I really am so confused why you are so against me, and also semi-creeped out by it :?
"Life's no piece of cake, mind you, but the recipe's my own to fool with."
starrydreamer

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:35 am

stark wrote:
Tessablue wrote: But whatever will we do without all this life advice?
My guess is that a few of you will just keep going on being miserable, unable to set and achieve life goals, and then die before you even know what happened.

If I could see just one person move out of expensive locales into a more reasonable cost of living,
or just one person to go back to school for the degree they really want,
or just one person to better understand business from the employer's point of view,

then I think I'd know of somebody who will be happier than they are today.

Anything would be an improvement over the never ending complaining, life's short!
Hold up. Expensive locale? Didn't you commute 100+ miles a day so you could live ON THE BEACH? California is the most expensive of the expensive locales. Also, thanks for contributing to pollution! I'm sure while you were doing so, you complained about it even when you were fulfilling your dream. Complaining is a part of life - it doesn't mean you aren't thankful or living your dream. Your black and white view of the world is endemic to your generation, I think.

Also, you can stop searching. I moved from NYC to somewhere in the midwest some years ago, to go back to school for the degree I wanted. I took plenty of classes on how to be effective in-house counsel for companies, so don't try lecturing me on understanding business from an employer's POV. The employer isn't anything without its employees, and the employees aren't anything without the employer. It's more of a symbiotic relationship than you seem to believe.

If you don't want to hear us complaining, why are you in the VENT thread? Are you so bored with your life that you need to come try to poke at strangers? I hope when I'm your age, I'm not so bored that I'm posting pseudo-life advice at midnight. :?
Catalina

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 am

Tessablue wrote:
Somnambulist wrote:Maybe we'll all get lucky and stark will go on other forums to complain about us all.
But whatever will we do without all this life advice? Make decisions based on what is best for us personally within the contours of our chosen careers, instead of the outdated musings of some internet guy who has decided to spend his hard-earned retirement time provoking and patronizing strangers on the internet? Absurd.
Generically speaking, shouldn't that read "within the contours of the life one has elected to portray here in any given month"?
Somnambulist

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:18 am

Catalina wrote:
Generically speaking, shouldn't that read "within the contours of the life one has elected to portray here in any given month"?
A glimpse is all anything offers, without knowing people personally. You're truly advocating that stark's stalkerish behavior (please go view that other forum people migrated to during the last crash when stark complained about not missing many people here), the ridiculous and vitriolic posts he has made and then deleted about people over the years are nice?

I'm not sure how this relates to you'll all die miserable and can't achieve life goals. What on earth? Sharing on the internet might not be considered normal behavior but surely saying things like what he does is not either.

I mean, who cares, it's the internet. But how the hell do you link happiness exercises to people who don't even appear unhappy? It's really very bizarre.
stark

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Indiano wrote:So, this board is pretty much dead. Are there others out there that are more active but similar in tenor to this board? Not interested in a purely handicapping board.
Hope that helps Indiano, just trying to liven things up around here! :lol:
starrydreamer

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:40 pm

stark wrote:
Indiano wrote:So, this board is pretty much dead. Are there others out there that are more active but similar in tenor to this board? Not interested in a purely handicapping board.
Hope that helps Indiano, just trying to liven things up around here! :lol:
I was thinking the same thing! :lol:

Not that we're doing any handicapping here.
Tessablue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Catalina wrote:
Tessablue wrote: But whatever will we do without all this life advice? Make decisions based on what is best for us personally within the contours of our chosen careers, instead of the outdated musings of some internet guy who has decided to spend his hard-earned retirement time provoking and patronizing strangers on the internet? Absurd.
Uhh... no? That doesn't even make sense.

Anyways, now we can all see out in the open that stark is a patronizing creep who delights in bullying and prodding people but gets small and nasty when they don't back down. Not a terribly uncommon thing to be. He started this off by berating a mother for expressing frustration at the system that puts outrageous prices on her son's health, and now he's moved on towards telling me that I'm... going to die alone and unaccomplished, or something? Still haven't decided whether or not to deliver him the bad news on that front, but it's always nice to move past pretense, so I'd personally consider this all a net positive.
Somnambulist

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Tessablue wrote: Still haven't decided whether or not to deliver him the bad news on that front, but it's always nice to move past pretense, so I'd personally consider this all a net positive.
IDK about you but my useless self only had a life goal of getting stark to look silly.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED.
starrydreamer

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Somnambulist wrote:
Tessablue wrote: Still haven't decided whether or not to deliver him the bad news on that front, but it's always nice to move past pretense, so I'd personally consider this all a net positive.
IDK about you but my useless self only had a life goal of getting stark to look silly.

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED.
Much reward for you. Very wow.
stark

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:02 pm

This is directed towards the lurkers who are keeping score at home rather than posting along, I just want to put some closure on things rather than the fake news that's being reported. If you feel prompted to join in and offer something new, welcome aboard which ever side you're on, otherwise I'll consider this horse to be beaten and will be moving along to the next topic of interest.

Here's what we've really learned, or as Paul Harvey would say....The rest of the story.....

1) A while back we learned directly from a prolific poster that she knows she's a bitch and she's okay with that. To which I'll offer.....when do you think you'll outgrow that phase of your life, it's not very becoming.

2) And now we've learned from another poster that complaining is an accepted way of life today.......I've got a news flash for you, look around and try your best to find somebody you admire and look up to. I'm going to guess they're not labeled a complainer, nobody like's 'em, never have- never will. This too will be something you'll hopefully outgrow over time as other chronic complainers before you already have.

Good luck and be well.

-30-
Tessablue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Somnambulist wrote:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED.
Congrats, rarely is success so rapid and so spectacularly conclusive. Where can you even go from here?
Insane Crazy

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:28 pm

This was a TRIP.

Shoutout to all my fellow awful, entitled millennials (and non-millennials who sympathize with us, you damn fools).
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Ballerina

Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 pm

Somnambulist wrote: God, I wish I was born 70 years ago and be so far out of touch with reality as it is now. It's such a shame companies don't pay a liveable wage now.
You know Som, you've made some incredibly insulting comments about the older generation. Most of which I have let slide by, because you haven't a clue. But this has to be the most insulting one you have ever made.

I turned 78 this last November. In that near 8 decades of living, I have established a great many clues - the vast majority of which you have yet to learn. Perhaps if the fates allow you to live as long, you'll then see where I'm coming from.

It's comments like this coming from some millennials that invite the rage of the elderly. So, you get a clue.
Somnambulist

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:28 pm

Who says stuff like "if the fates allow you to live as long". :?

What an odd place the internet is.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:21 pm

While stepping carefully around some of the 'odd stuff' in the last few pages :P, I agree with Som's point about wages.
When I first began my career, I was able to live pretty comfortably with a salary that wouldn't seem high by today's standards. Still, it enabled me to pay my bills and even put away some $. As I received raises, I was able to take vacations and indulge in a few hobbies.
However, as I drew near retirement age, my pay stalled and even decreased due to things beyond my control happening in my business. No more vacations, no more hobbies.
But I saw that my younger coworkers were starting their jobs with much lower pay, when compared to the buying power I had when I first started.
IMHO, it could be our larger population, creating a larger pool of potential employees for employers to pick from. Whoever is sufficiently-qualified and willing to work for lower wages and fewer benefits gets the job. Toss in the high cost of living...insurance, housing, transport, food, you name it...and "living wage" is getting pretty close to being an oxymoron. :(
Somnambulist

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:33 pm

My parents bought a house with my salary two years ago. I can't imagine.
In the same vein, I my parents are boomers and they suffer tremendously.

Quite honestly I hate people my own age. The majority are entitled. I've worked 2+ jobs for my entire working life and have picked up random odd jobs as I could. I've been fortunate enough to work in jobs that provide solid benefits without large deductibles. I also love my parents and was able to live at home until 28 with the only form of rent be cleaning and paying for some improvements on their home. And the occasionally bottle of whiskey.

I also have nothing against anyone older. I saw stark praying on a mother who needs to work her frustrations out in healthy way. I played low because I find that low and from exp the healthcare insurance industry is awful. Sorry to have insulted anyone. You can't paint anything with a broad strokes. I wake up daily feeling blessed, loved and cherished. To say I'm miserable is laughable.

I also need inpatient therapy because I responded further