Large Heart Gene

Re: Large Heart Gene

Postby tonno100 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:57 am

Complete nonsense.

If it worked everybody would not just want to do it, they'd have to do it. It doesn't, so they don't.
tonno100

Postby Katewerk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:40 am

tonno100 wrote:Complete nonsense.

If it worked everybody would not just want to do it, they'd have to do it. It doesn't, so they don't.

I don't think that's entirely fair. As has been mentioned, it's only one factor out of many that make up a successful racehorse - length of stride, soundness, courage, size. Plenty of horses succeed without one of the aforementioned factors in their favour. The question is whether it's advantageous, and there's plenty of evidence that it is.
Katewerk

Postby frankel13 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:38 pm

When it's discovered upon his death that possibly the greatest racehorse of all time (Secretariat) had a heart almost 3 times larger than the average thoroughbred then questions should and have been asked. From what I can see nothing has been proved nor disproved, but if I was lucky enough to be able to afford to race or breed these fantastic animals then I'd be all over this theory like a rash. It gives the opportunity to acquire a nice animal(s) at a price that may be unthinkable in a few years time if the link is proven.

A recent article I found on this is shown below:

http://www.pedigree-dynamics.com.au/x-m ... ne-theory/
frankel13

Postby TBird » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:59 pm

frankel13 wrote:When it's discovered upon his death that possibly the greatest racehorse of all time (Secretariat) had a heart almost 3 times larger than the average thoroughbred then questions should and have been asked. From what I can see nothing has been proved nor disproved, but if I was lucky enough to be able to afford to race or breed these fantastic animals then I'd be all over this theory like a rash. It gives the opportunity to acquire a nice animal(s) at a price that may be unthinkable in a few years time if the link is proven.

A recent article I found on this is shown below:

http://www.pedigree-dynamics.com.au/x-m ... ne-theory/

I read the article. It's interesting to me that the author used Eavesdropper as his example of a horse with the "coveted" Large Heart Gene. Eavesdropper was only moderately successful as a racehorse and he was a failure as a sire in the U.S. (35% winners, 0% stakes winners.) So what was his LHG supposed to have helped him with?
TBird

Postby frankel13 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:40 pm

TBird, I only included that link because it was recent (written a month ago). For me a more interesting article is shown below;

http://www.horsesonly.com/crossroads/xf ... eart-1.htm

I just chanced upon this topic whilst browsing the web and found it interesting. Is it positively talked about in breeding circles, treated as mumbo jumbo or not discussed at all?
frankel13

Postby BaroqueAgain1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:54 pm

If I have read correctly, the Large Heart Gene possessed by Secretariat is passed through the daughters, which may be one reason Big Red ended up being a really good broodmare sire. So, perhaps it would be worth following Eavesdropper's daughters to see if he also has success there?
BaroqueAgain1

Postby tonno100 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:52 am

There are plenty of people scanning hearts, and they have no more success than anyone else. In fact, I can't think of any really top buyers who do it, but they still get out a higher % of stakes winners than the heart score nuts.
tonno100

Previous

Return to Breeding & Sales