2018 Keeneland September Yearling Sale

Post Reply
carole
Posts: 2338
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:45 pm

starrydreamer wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:39 pm
Who else is really just waiting for Justify's half? :lol: :lol:
Guilty :lol:
carole
Posts: 2338
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:48 pm

511 Tapit x Sindy With an S filly goes for $525,000
carole
Posts: 2338
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:11 pm

429 Frankel x Song to Remember filly goes for $500,000
carole
Posts: 2338
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:13 pm

430 Empire Maker x So Stylish colt goes for $700,000
carole
Posts: 2338
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:34 pm

Here we go...

443 Will Take Charge x Stage Magic colt (1/2 brother to undefeated Triple Crown winner Justify) goes for $1.75 million


Probably an RNA, they wanted the bidding to start at $2 million and really tried to push for it
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4766
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:03 pm

Nicole Russo @DRFRusso
7m7 minutes ago
Nicole Russo Retweeted DRFBreeding
"Well, he's coming home." Tanya Gunther says Glennwood open to partnerships on this colt. No trainer chosen as of yet.

DRFBreeding @DRFBreeding
Half to Justify was indeed a RNA at #KeeSept. Glennwood will retain the colt and break him this fall, with an eye to racing him.

Nicole Russo @DRFRusso
6m6 minutes ago
Tanya Gunther added that Justify's dam Stage Magic, currently in foal to Quality Road, goes to Curlin in 2019.
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3858
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:24 pm

If Justify's brother didn't get sold at that price, they didn't want to sell him all that much. He's by a stallion who, if I'm remembering correctly, has his first crop racing this year. I don't get it. I think some people just get off on the attention.
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4766
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:33 pm

I agree, mariasmon. I figured the Gunthers had a price in mind and he probably wouldn't reach it.
starrydreamer wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:32 pm
369 is a very flashy Violence colt, with plenty of white above his knee. Sold for 350k.
Missed seeing him but found pictures.

Courtney Snow @CourtneyNSnow
6h6 hours ago
Hip 369 sells today 😍
Violence/Sari colt
Image
Image
User avatar
Mylute
Posts: 817
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 pm
Location: Alabama

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:33 pm
I agree, mariasmon. I figured the Gunthers had a price in mind and he probably wouldn't reach it.
starrydreamer wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:32 pm
369 is a very flashy Violence colt, with plenty of white above his knee. Sold for 350k.
Missed seeing him but found pictures.

Courtney Snow @CourtneyNSnow
6h6 hours ago
Hip 369 sells today 😍
Violence/Sari colt
Image
Image
I need him.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
~ Robin Williams 1951 - 2̶0̶1̶4̶ ∞
User avatar
Sparrow Castle
Posts: 4766
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Chuckled a little...

Alicia Wincze Hughes @BH_AHughes
1h1 hour ago
Tanya Gunther on the half to Justify that was a RNA at $1.75M "He's going home. We are happy to keep him. He's a really nice colt. Being by Will Take Charge he was difficult to value." Added reserve was $1.799M
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Wow... that is a lot of Chrome on that Violence colt. What a cutie. Also love the WTC colt. Big and beautiful and a bit of a handful! Wonder if he goes to Bob?
User avatar
Starine
Posts: 4006
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am
Location: South Carolina

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:10 pm

That Violence colt... wow. Quite unusual.
User avatar
Squeaky
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Who bought Violence colt and for how much? Thank you.
User avatar
Miss Woodford
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:34 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:35 pm

Squeaky wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:16 pm
Who bought Violence colt and for how much? Thank you.
Shadwell, for $350k.
User avatar
Treve
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:27 pm

They should’ve taken that money. Precisely because WTC is a first year sire. They could always breed stage magic back to him later, she’s young.
Edited to add... I'm in love with that Violence colt, he looks almost exactly in pattern and colour like an arabian mare I nearly bought many years ago.
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...


And a Queen named Beholder
User avatar
Diver52
Posts: 1610
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: Redlands, CA

Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:20 am

Yeah, I'd have taken the $1,700,000 and run--even a 2021 yearling by Tapit or MdO would be no guarantee to sell for more. But you let the dice fall wrong once, you keep chasing it. . .
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
User avatar
Flanders
Posts: 2772
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:01 pm

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:40 am

I don't think its much different from 2017, considering there are still 2 days left of Book 1 and they have great pedigrees in them as well. There are always yearlings with strong pedigrees and great pages that don't bring as much as we think they should. It can be for a variety of reasons, from maybe something is off in their conformation, to a questionable vet report, or simply because some buyers think the horse is out of reach for them. There are also only so many buyers who can afford yearlings for these prices or maybe their #1 horse is selling in Session 3 or 4. 2018 looks easy to beat most of the numbers posted below from 2017. We haven't seen a horse break 2017's top three prices though but the amount spent is very similar).

Here is the 2018 sale from 2 sessions compared to 2017's entire catalog.

2017 - $1,000,000+ - 13 (total $19.95 million)
2018 - $1,000,000+ - 13 (total $19.5 million)
2017 - $750,000 to $999.999 - 25
2018 - $750,000 to $999,999 - 19
2017 - $500,000 to $749,999 - 81
2018 - $500,000 to $749,999 - 37
2017 - $250,000 to $499,999 - 233
2018 - $250,000 to $499,999 - 117
Horsebagger
Posts: 1938
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:43 am

Treve wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:27 pm
They should’ve taken that money. Precisely because WTC is a first year sire. They could always breed stage magic back to him later, she’s young.
Edited to add... I'm in love with that Violence colt, he looks almost exactly in pattern and colour like an arabian mare I nearly bought many years ago.
You're assuming the $1.7 MM was a live bid. I'd suggest it was not, but now conceivably sets a level for them to market interests in the private market. I wish them luck.
User avatar
mariasmon
Posts: 3858
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:38 am

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:50 am

Horsebagger wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:43 am
Treve wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:27 pm
They should’ve taken that money. Precisely because WTC is a first year sire. They could always breed stage magic back to him later, she’s young.
Edited to add... I'm in love with that Violence colt, he looks almost exactly in pattern and colour like an arabian mare I nearly bought many years ago.
You're assuming the $1.7 MM was a live bid. I'd suggest it was not, but now conceivably sets a level for them to market interests in the private market. I wish them luck.
Good point.
User avatar
Delamont
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:54 am

Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:10 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:33 pm
I agree, mariasmon. I figured the Gunthers had a price in mind and he probably wouldn't reach it.
starrydreamer wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:32 pm
369 is a very flashy Violence colt, with plenty of white above his knee. Sold for 350k.
Missed seeing him but found pictures.

Courtney Snow @CourtneyNSnow
6h6 hours ago
Hip 369 sells today 😍
Violence/Sari colt
Image
Image
Holy cow. I hate when people say, 'If he runs to his looks,' but in this case, I can't help myself.
Post Reply